Thread: location of Gibson mandolin production

Default location of Gibson mandolin production

I have been trying to figure out where Gibson mandolins have been produced over the years. I've searched some reference books, the web, and MC (sorry if this has been discussed; I may not be using the search function properly). I think that mandolin production was in Kalamazoo until 1984, then to Nashville until 1989, then to Bozeman. I think they went back to Nashville at some point, but can't figure out when. It is also not clear to me whether mandolin production is still in Nashville or went back to Montana, and when this might have happened. I know someone here knows.

Default Re: location of Gibson mandolin production

I believe it went to Nashville around 1998 and they are currently made in Nashville under Dave Harvey. I am sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in with exact dates.

Current production is in Nashville. It began in Kalamazoo and would have gone to Montana when Gibson purchased Flatiron in 1987. In 1996 Gibson moved their mandolin production to Nashville from Montana. In a nutshell that's it. All verifiable dates.

OK, one small glitch, Gibson moved from Kalamazoo to Nashville in 1984 so it would have had to move with them to Nashville when they closed Kalamazoo and that precluded the purchase of Flatiron.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I was under the impression that Gibson bought Flatiron in 1987, but didn't start production of Gibson instruments in Bozeman until 1989. That is implied in the Gibson's Fabulous Flattops book, but that was referring to acoustic guitar production. But Carter Vintage has a 1987 F-5L in the MC classifieds that is signed by Steve Carlson.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Yooper View Post
    I was under the impression that Gibson bought Flatiron in 1987, but didn't start production of Gibson instruments in Bozeman until 1989. That is implied in the Gibson's Fabulous Flattops book, but that was referring to acoustic guitar production. But Carter Vintage has a 1987 F-5L in the MC classifieds that is signed by Steve Carlson.
    Henry would have used the facility when he bought it and the move out of Montana would coincide with the start of Sound To Earth (Weber). There are a few threads where Steve Carlson describes how things went. I'll see if I can find them later when I have time.

I can't imagine that it took two years to tool up to build Mandolins in Montana when they were already building mandolins there when they were purchased.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Teacher, repair person

According to my dog-eared worn-out second edition of "Gruhn's Guide:"

"The company acquired the Flatiron mandolin company in May 1987, and moved Gibson mandolin production to the Flatiron facility in Bozeman [shouldn't this say Belgrade?], MT. In 1989 Gibson built a new Flatiron factory and moved production of all Gibson mandolins and flat top guitars to Bozeman." --Gibson General Information, pg. 122

" . . . production moves from Kalamazoo to Nashville in 1984, then to the Flatiron facility in Belgrade, MT. in 1987, then back to Nashville in 1997." --Gibson Mandolins, General Information, Pg. 160

So now we have three different dates for the return of Gibson mandolin production to Nashville. . .
    I'll go with Gruhn's date, since he was in Nashville while this was going on, unless I hear otherwise from someone who was working for Gibson at the time.

"In 1996, Gibson decided to move Gibson mandolin production to Nashville. " That's from the Weber site.

I was assuming they moved the same year they made the decision but if they made the decision in late 96 I could see the production not starting until early 97. I can't imagine they shut down for long.

Also from the Weber site:

"In March of 1997, Bruce Weber, Joe Schneider, Bob McMurray, Steve Birch and Paula Lewis created the Sound to Earth shop in Bruce's barn, excited to build traditional acoustic instruments their way. "

They built the workshop in March, it would appear Bruce was done with Gibson by that point.

The point that I'm curious about isn't that one. They gradually moved from Kalamazoo to Nashville, starting earlier than when they closed the entire facility. They were doing custom shop stuff in Kalamazoo. Were they building mandolins there?
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

shouldn't this say Belgrade?
    That's why I keep saying just Montana. I know they were moving around I just don't know where.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber