Thread: Ingles Violin Stand Question

Default Ingles Violin Stand Question

Hello!

Sorry, another stand question for folks with the Ingles stand.

I have had it for a while and like it. I always place a micro fiber cloth in the stand before placing my mandolin in it. But I'm wondering if folks are concerned about the rubber reacting with the mando's neck. This happened to me once with a guitar and a different cheap stand so now I'm a little concerned. The pressure is very light so it's hard to imagine terrible things happening, but...

Do folks place leather or a cloth between the mando neck and the rubber in the neck support to protect your baby?

My mandolin doesn't spend much time in its stand so I'm not THAT worried.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Ingles Violin Stand Question

Lacquer will react when it comes into contact with vinyl. The problem is that you don't know if that plastic or rubber has vinyl in it. I've never left mine on the stand for any length of time so I have no idea. Here's the explanation of the issue from Frank Ford's www.frets.com site. If it's not in there for an extended period of time you won't have an issue.

People ask the same question about tuners all the time.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

I’ve been using an Ingles stand for my fiddles and mandolins for over ten years without any damage to any of my instruments that I can see.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Bradford For This Useful Post:

I've used K & M [ Konig & Meyer ] stands for all my instruments for many years with no finish damage at all, excellent stands.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Good advice above. IMO Stands are temporary holding pens for the small amount of time the instrument is not in my hands or in it's case. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Through the years I've had some concerns about the possibility of marring instruments in contact with rubber or plastic of instrument stands. The worries mostly stem from some spots caused by clip-on tuners.

What I've done is to sew little sleeves of microfiber fabric to cover the stand's areas where the instrument contacts the stand. So far, this has worked well.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I just got some sticky backed felt sheets and cut pieces to go around and on the areas of what appears to be vinyl or rubber on my guitar stands. It works pretty well and is inexpensive, lasts a pretty long time before you need to replace it, and it has protected my instruments from any damage that may have occurred without it. I used black felt sheets, and it's hard to see it unless you're looking for it on the stand.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rdeane View Post
    I just got some sticky backed felt sheets ..... I used black felt sheets, and it's hard to see it unless you're looking for it on the stand.
    I used some of that on the clamping sufaces of my clip-on tuner to prevent clouding the finish of a soft-varnished instrument. Worked pretty well, but had some trouble sticking the felt to the smaller surfaces of rubber where the edge of the felt kept coming loose. (Sewed some microfiber sleeves for the clips too.)
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Registered User Christine Robins's Avatar

"I’ve been using an Ingles stand for my fiddles and mandolins for over ten years without any damage to any of my instruments that I can see."

Same here. My fiddle & mando (Collings MT) are in Ingles stands all the time, except when I'm playing or traveling. Haven't seen any effect at all after 15 years with fiddle, 8 with mando.