Thread: G.Puglisi Reale & Figli mandolin -restoration

Default G.Puglisi Reale & Figli mandolin -restoration

Hello!

I found this Mandolin from old Finnish house in auction.
    I dont know exact year for it but I would guess around 1940.
    Can you tell me more based on pictures?

I would like to repair and use it. I dont know how much that could cost so do you think it is worth it? Otherwise it is nice looking Mandolin on my wall.

-A
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190801_232316.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	309.4 KB 
ID:	178753   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190801_232027.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	489.2 KB 
ID:	178752   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190801_232138.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	439.6 KB 
ID:	178757  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190801_232324.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	553.5 KB 
ID:	178754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190801_232237.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	362.7 KB 
ID:	178755   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190802_014918.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	480.8 KB 
ID:	178756  

Last edited by Zezazi; Aug-01-2019 at 5:55pm. Reason: Added picture of stamp.

Default Re: G.Puglisi Reale & Figli mandolin -restoration

It is a nice Puglisi, made in the Roman style. A simple model, but they were usually well made and can sound pretty good. Likely to be made before 1917. There is usually a year printed in the lower section of the label. Have a look. Puglisi was very popular in old time Russia and there are still plenty of them there. I suspect this one likely made it to Finland when it was a part of the Russian Empire. If so it is in a pretty good condition for it's age. I did a bit of a research on Puglisi in Russia. Here is the link: http://speranski.com/mandolins-of-ot...kers-in-russia
    Last edited by vic-victor; Aug-01-2019 at 7:09pm.

3. The following members say thank you to vic-victor for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by vic-victor View Post
    It is a nice Puglisi, made in the Roman style. A simple model, but they were usually well made and can sound pretty good. Likely to be made before 1917. There is usually a year printed in the lower section of the label. Have a look. Puglisi was very popular in old time Russia and there are still plenty of them there. I suspect this one likely made it to Finland when it was a part of the Russian Empire. If so it is in a pretty good condition for it's age. I did a bit of a research on Puglisi in Russia. Here is the link: http://speranski.com/mandolins-of-ot...kers-in-russia
    Thank you!

Very informative and quick response.
    What do you think about restoration? Is fretboard broken and how hard to recreate?

I checked label and found it. Picture attached but there is 1925 so not reaching 100 years of age yet.

Dare you estimate some kind of value for this Mandolin?

Intresting links and research, gives craving for more information!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190802_120812.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	434.2 KB 
ID:	178772  

I'd check for small cracks, whether the neck is straight and the action is not too high. Also whether frets are worn. I can't see any obvious damage from the photographs, so it may not need any restoration except for a set of new strings (extra light gauge only) and a good set up. Value is not high. A simple model like that, assuming it is not damaged and is in a playable condition would not cost more than 300 - 350 Euro at very best.

I have a Puglisi Reale and Figli bowlback, it's my favorite of my bowlbacks. I paid $200 US for mine, yours looks like it s in slightly less used condition than mine. I don't know the conversion rate for dollars to Euros, but I feel mine was well worth the $200 I paid.