Thread: I need a mandolin stand for stage use.

Default I need a mandolin stand for stage use.

I have a little A-frame stand that feels like it is more of a launch platform than something to hold my instrument. It needs to travel well. I typically gig with a tele, a baritone guitar and a mandolin. I also use it a bit in the studio and for that I'm almost only on the mandolin.

Default Re: I need a mandolin stand for stage use.

I am always concerned that someone will step on my mandolin or knock a floor stand over. Generally, mic stands are pretty steady supports, and less likely to be knocked over. I use a small instrument holder similar to this No guarantees in life, but this has worked for me for ukulele and mandolins.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Adams View Post
    I am always concerned that someone will step on my mandolin or knock a floor stand over. Generally, mic stands are pretty steady supports, and less likely to be knocked over. I use a small instrument holder similar to this No guarantees in life, but this has worked for me for ukulele and mandolins.

I can relate to the worry of having it stepped on or knocked over. I don't think I'd want it hanging on a mic stand at a gig. Mic stands are often easily accessed by people in the venue as well as getting knocked over occasionally. I currently just put it in my wonky A frame right by my amp so it's kind of near a larger, more visible object. In a perfect world it would sit in an elevated hanger and have a similar height to a guitar in a stand.

Your link didn't go anywhere...

A recent thread on the subject can be found here. I personally like the Ingles stand. It's solid and folds down small enough to carry. You can ditch the bow holder on the top. The neck locks onto the stand.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

The sturdiest stands I have worked with are Hercules. I have a double guitar stand that holds both my mandolin and OM. But they make singles too. I like the type that holds the instrument by the headstock rather than by the body. They seem harder to knock over.

BTW, I had a mandolin instructor once who had a hand-built mandolin. He kept leaning it up against stuff. Twice it got tipped over, not dropped, just tipped over on a hard floor and the headstock broke off both times. Fortunately, it was repaired both times and he finally bought a stand.

6. The following members say thank you to John Flynn for this post:

I use the Hercules stand that you just set the mandolin down in. You do have to be careful not to knock over, but it is very sturdy, and I have never had any problems. Just put it somewhere that isn't in a clear walking path if you can.

Adjustable from guitar to mandolin. No mechanical parts to break. Sturdy and stable.

https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Hang...a-568517117907

Blog Entries

I loved the concept of the Hercules, and purchased 5 of them in hopes they would be our instruments' long term solution for on stage.

But in real life, after a couple of years the plastics got sticky and fractured under the mechanism's internal spring pressure...

And when lifting my F-9 off it's Hercules once at a gig, the gates didn't fully disengage and one gate sheered the treble side of my F-9's nut off. Fortunately I was able to get the nut to work through the gig with the help of some cardboard, but I had to replace the nut afterward.

We've tried lots of stands. I honestly think the Hercules design is the very best out there. And, Hercules may have solved their plastics issue by now. But I won't take a chance with the gate issue again. Aside from having trouble while lifting an instrument out of it, if this stand were to fall over without the gates disengaging, considering the leverages involved I would strongly expect to see a broken peghead.

We use our cases for stands now both on and off stage, closing and latching the tops when the instruments are inside. Most luthiers and repair people will agree that is the safest way to store an instrument.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

I have the upright bass version of the Ingles stand in my recording studio and it's pretty excellent. The price is right and I'll try it first.

If you gig with three instruments, the Hercules tripple stand would be my recommendation. I use one for just that and have no complaints. I think dhergert’s problem is unusual. Apart from the tripple I use on stage, I have 5 wall hangers with the identical mechanism that have been in constant use for some years.

Hercules products! No questions asked!

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Ingles makes a great stand. I keep one at the house. For out and about I have a Cooper stand. They fold up and pack well. If I am concerned about someone bumping my stand I take the Ingles as it is more heavily built with a locking collar. I do like the Ingles for a fiddle too. It is great when I am switching back and forth. R/

https://www.amazon.com/Cooperstand-D...A1B7M9EQGNCLQA
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I use this on stage for bass guitar/mandolin

https://www.guitarcenter.com/On-Stag...uitar-Stand.gc

Good Luck!

I got a padded ' fork ' that clamps onto the Mic/Music stand...
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

If you sit to play, something small and light like this will work:
    https://www.amazon.com/Instrument-St...%2C169&sr=8-57
    but I never put where someone else may collide with it. As a fellow tele player, I took an Ultimate (CS1000 I think) because it has the narrow neck fork, and I glued a piece of medium stiff black foam on the main stem just above the tripod. This cushions the back of the mando where it touches the stand. I like this setup because it puts the mandolin headstock at the same level as the guitars (no bending over) For my guitars I use a couple of Hercules, they're rock solid and I believe almost impossible to accidentally knock a guitar off of. None of my guitars are nitro lacquer though.

I’m a Hercules triple fan as well. I’m the “utility guy” for our youth praise band (and also the adult supervision) and often play guitar, bass, and mando in the same service. The Herc has performed well for me. I am careful putting instruments in and taking them out, and have had no issues to date. Admittedly, though, it’s not in constant use; I usually don’t use it at home.
    Chuck

I use this type. Sturdy, compact, foldable.

https://www.amazon.com/Mandolin-Port...ZWX33E57SXDKTG

I am very happy with this one for gigs (proline mandolin stand). I dont have to unplug for the stand as it holds it a bit higher so the in jack chord clears the floor. Well cushioned back brace and hangs by the neck so less likely to topple.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...urce=3TEM5KTBK
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Mine are actually more like this,
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...0STAND&index=6
    but with Fender branding. Lightweight, soft rubber feet for grip, and feathered rubber in hte contact points. These are made and sold for electric guitars, but fit mandolins perfectly.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0453.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	440.8 KB 
ID:	178819Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0454.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	507.9 KB 
ID:	178820Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0455.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	652.2 KB 
ID:	178821Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0456.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	665.7 KB 
ID:	178822Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0457.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	548.7 KB 
ID:	178823Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0458.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	632.9 KB 
ID:	178824Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0459.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	313.0 KB 
ID:	178825Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0460.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	831.7 KB 
ID:	178826

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    ... I think dhergert’s problem is unusual. ...
    Just to be clear again, I still consider Hercules instrument stand design to be as safe or safer than the best stand designs out there. I hope that Hercules has solved their plastics off-gassing sticky / meltdown / fatigue / cracking / failure issues, but the reports of these issues haven't been "unusual" at all. The situation is very well documented online.

In fairness to Hercules, the problem with the jaws catching the peghead and sheering the nut off actually did only happen to me once out of hundreds of times using the 10 or so various different Hercules stands that we eventually purchased over time (most of which eventually succumbed to the plastics issue). Admittedly part of that may have been the fault of the jaws mechanisms themselves, but also part of that may have been the fault of the user, me in this case.

But once was enough for me... With the fact that this kind of instrument damage could occur, with the ongoing plastics issue at the time, and with the fact that this jaws problem happened at a gig and left me scrambling to get a functionally damaged instrument working, I decided never to risk it again. As mentioned in my earlier post, we use our cases on and off stage now.

I haven't kept up with Hercules since then but I'm guessing their plastics issue has been resolved by now. I would think that if Hercules has in fact corrected their plastics issue, and if the jaws open properly every time, it is very possible that a user may have no problems whatsoever.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

I'm playing mandolin, zouk, electric guitar, and dobro in my home band. Once in a while I'll have an acoustic strung up in Nashville tuning as well. For gigs where we don't have a tech or two to swap out instruments, I use a mike stand fiddle rack to hang the mandolin on. Keeps it out from under feet. Usually those venues are short on stage squeets (square footage) so I try like heck to stick to three instruments. Otherwise things get way too crowded way too fast. Especially in a five piece where there's another guy playing acoustic guitar and tenor banjo. You have to do anything you can to save space on stage. If there's no way to keep stuff in the wings we'll bring a 7 space rack for stuff not being currently played. We've found that bringing a bunch of individual stands can be a pita, things get knocked around when someone gets in a hurry. Those triple stands are nice, but it's like putting another person on stage; they sure do take up floor space. The better option for us is to keep things down to one gang stand that uses floor space as efficiently as possible.

Agree, the Hercules does take up some space. That’s part of the reason it’s sturdy, but probably not the best choice in tight quarters...
    Chuck

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

I've often used a violin hanger clamped to the mic stand but it's a scary proposition in a rowdy bar... I can tell you!
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website