Size:	500.2 KB 
ID:	178671
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190730_134116.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	443.9 KB 
ID:	178672

Default Re: Bowl back info

Posted those pics from my phone but easier to type from a computer so here is the info I have. The store is asking $350. Sounds pretty nice with REALLY old strings on it. Frets seem ok, albeit really small. The tuners seem to hold tune but are definitely in bad shape. When you turn some of them there is quite a bit of play where it isn't changing the tension but all seemed to catch eventually. There are a few screws that aren't original holding on the tuners as well as the tail piece. I counted 19 ribs, not including the outer two large ones so if those count 21. There is really cool inlays around the binding on tip but there are a few missing (I tried taking a close up pic). Couldn't find any markings on it or inside it at all. Any info would be appreciated. Seems to me $350 may not be totally unreasonable but it needs a fair amount of work and I actually know nothing about bowl backs. Thanks a lot.

The metalwork is US made to my eyes. I can't work out the maker- Oscar Schmidt would be my best guess. I think $350 may be a bit high if it still needs work but that has to be your decision.

I have had a look around and found this: https://reverb.com/item/15936997-vin...lback-mandolin

Well I think you solved it. Thanks a lot. Looks to be the same one. The store I saw it in is a complete mess and overprices everything. When I say a mess, I mean a mess. I tripped over a guitar today in the store. Not a case, an actual guitar just haphazardly put on the ground. They actual have some cool stuff but they seem annoyed you're there. They had a really nice banjo too but I don't play. Had a cool tenor banjo in back last time I was there. Asked if it was still there and they didn't know and I guess didn't feel like looking. Oh well.

Here is that banjo if anyone is interested

$350 is a lot for a mandolin of that quality, in that condition. I would recommend looking around a bit before spending that kind of money.
    Mandolins: Bandolim by Antonio Pereira Cabral
    German flatback mandola by unknown maker converted from a descant Waldzither

Bridge looks huge. Usually it is on the other side of the cant (bend) in the soundboard. Unable to tell if it was placed there due to neck issues. Old rusty tuners and stringplate. A hundred dollars might be exorbitant for that mandolin, depending on whether it needs work to make it right. Finding someone who can make it right will not be easy.

For 3-400 you can find a bowlback in decent condition. This one is not that.

thanks for the advice. I honestly wasn't that interested in it anyway, more just curious about it. I'm not really in the market for one, just figured if this was a good deal I might pick it up.