Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can’t play now

Default I can’t play now

A month ago I was riding my motorcycle to the market. I had on my armored jacket, gloves, and helmet. A car came across lanes and swatted my bike like it was a fly. I was knocked unconscious, I awakened in the street with two nice cops helping me. My face swollen and black, and eye swollen shut. My left shoulder is broken in three places, my left hand and fingers broken. Let me tell you, at my age a broken shoulder is a painful experience.

The driver ran off and no witness got a tag number.

So, I have not been able to practice or even pick up my instrument.

BTW, if you ride, wear your armor. I would have been a lot worse if not for the armor.
    Loar LM-370

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.” ― Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Default Re: I can’t play now

ATGATT !

It could have been a lot worse indeed, have a speedy recovery. If you start riding again think about getting a go pro, it might film the fleeing car and its license plate if you're lucky. https://imgaz2.staticbg.com/thumb/la...ed0fe79cb0.jpg

===========

So sorry to hear about your predicament Doc. Unfortunately, there are a lot of scumbags in the world who would speed off from an accident where somebody got hurt - and unfortunately, you happened to get tied up with one of them.

What is the prognosis for your recovery?

Keep us updated.

Ouch, that's not fun to hear about. Where are you? Most Americans don't ride to the market
    Mandolin: Kentucky KM150
    Other instruments: way too many, and yet, not nearly enough.

My blog: https://theoffgridmusician.music.blog/
    My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChF...yWuaTrtB4YORAg
    My Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/africanbanjogunnar/
    Free backing tracks:
    https://backingtrackers.wordpress.com/

Oh, this sounds bad. Speedy recovery.

Sorry to hear about your crash DocT. I'm a biker too and the fact that the car driver didn't stop is despicable. I don't know where you are located but here in the UK with all the hot weather there are so many people (especially teens) riding around with no leathers or armour on. I don't get it. I get some comments like "aren't you really hot?" when I wear my armour (which is always), but I'd rather be a little warm than flayed alive with some broken bones. Wish you a speedy recovery and well done for protecting yourself by wearing your gear. Hoping that CCTV somewhere in the area maybe caught the car's license.
    Paul Shippey Tone Mandolin
    Paul Hathway Octave Mandola
    Montana Lutherie Ranger Mandolin
    Yamaha Stage Custom Drum Kit

Hang in there. About six years ago I broke my shoulder in an accident and it took almost a year of physical therapy to get most of the movement back. I had use of my fingers though and playing something might be good therapy for those. I couldn't play mandolin for about 8 months because of the shoulder movement but I could play guitar. It sucks getting hurt when you're older (I am older) but playing music is an incentive to put yourself through the PT. Keep us informed as to how you're doing. There's a whole forum of people rooting for you.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

8. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

DocT 

Sounds awful. I hope your recovery is full and quick.
    "All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain

Eastman MD615SB
    Martin D35
    Gibson SG

Blog Entries

I lost a friend to a similar accident.
    I'm sorry you've been hit, sorry driver has not take responsibility, and sorry you're laid up. But I'm glad you're still with us.
    Take your time and heal up properly. Then buy a helmet cam.

Daniel

11. The following members say thank you to Daniel Nestlerode for this post:

DocT 

I'm so sorry about this. I work in a hospital and spend a lot of time in the ER. Last week we had three drivers in for injuries and in each case not one of them wore protective gear. They'll live but they'll not ever look the same - asphalt does terrible things to human skin. I hope you heal quickly...I know you miss being able to play.

Blog Entries

Sorry to hear this, I hope your recovery is fast. Physical Therapy is your best friend, as soon as possible.

I rode for 35 years without an accident, driving and watching cars like Grandma. I finally had to quit due to lower back pain issues. Loved the feeling of freedom, hated the leathers and helmet in hot 110F weather, slick or gravely roads and drunk drivers. I wouldn't ride today because of cell phones.

I'll always love motorcycles, they're what I drove first and there's nothing like the feelling of the air flowing around and through you. But I do really like four wheels, no helmet or leathers, fully supportive cooled/heated leather bucket seats, air conditioning, and twin turbo response. Plus it's hard to carry a mandolin, a banjo, a guitar, a double bass and a PA on a motorcycle.

Choices...
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Sympathies and quick wishes for a speedy recovery.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

So glad you're alive. There's a special place in hell for people who don't stop after an accident like that.

And about three months Will know whether I have to have partial or full shoulder replacement surgery. But the doctor thinks not because he said that I have actually healed faster than he expected and much better. But it will be a long road of recovery with the physical therapy. Right now I just take my pain medication like a good boy and try not to overdo it. It’s amazing how weak it has left me with all the broken bones in the bruises in different things just getting out for even a short while leaves me exhausted and And pain. I’ve always been pretty active and I never would’ve thought something could’ve sidelined me like this.
    Loar LM-370

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.” ― Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

I agree 100%
    Loar LM-370

Sorry to hear of this tragedy DocT. I certainly wish you a speedy recovery.

I know this is not a Motorcycle Forum, but since the issue has been brought up, I'll comment.

Riding a motorcycle is not for everyone I guess, but it is a great pleasure for some of us. And for some of us, part of that pleasure is reduced by wearing a helmet. Wearing one or not should be the choice of the rider.

Being seriously injured in a collision while riding is more likely than while driving but both activities involve an element of risk. If reducing that risk factor is the goal, it only makes sense that all automobile operators should have to wear NASCAR approved fire retardant clothing, full face helmets along with 5 point restraints. Try that for a while and see how enjoyable your next Sunday drive is.
    Last edited by FLATROCK HILL; Jul-30-2019 at 10:19am.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Wow, Doc, so sorry to learn of your misfortune. I am glad you are healing well.

I don't ride a motorcycle, but I do ride a bicycle. The odd driver now and again can be really discourteous, or even much worse. I am glad you were not hurt beyond what you experienced. I hope your bike, too, can recover.

Thanks for giving us the reminder to use safety gear and an equally urgent reminder of how important it is to share the road when driving our cars!
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Glad it wasn't worse Doc, hang in there. Hope you can play again soon!
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Prayers for a speedy recovery, Doc! Sorry your injuries are as bad as they are, but glad it wasn’t any worse, as others have stated!!
    Chuck

Blog Entries

Sorry to hear of your misfortune and pain. Be religious about doing the PT. I look forward to hearing your re-entry into mando madness.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

23. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

I see you're thinking octave mandolin. That's a good thing. Again, my first problem after my surgery was getting my arm far enough up to play the mandolin. I got to the guitar first. I hadn't even thought about an octave back then.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

25. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

DocT 

Not comparable in extent of injury, but nearly six years ago I "shattered" (doc's description) my left radius and ulna (wrist bones) in a car crash on the Mass Pike. Scared to death I was done playing. A very competent ortho surgeon, who was able to re-set the breaks and not require permanent pinning, helped a lot, but the key was the months of rehab. Two office visits a week, working with some very stressful machines, and even more important, a daily home regimen of stretches and weights, mobility and strength exercises, heating and icing, going on for months.

I have 95% of the wrist and finger mobility I once had, sufficient to keep playing instruments at my former competence level (I was never a virtuoso, but I don't have to worry about chords I can't make, or stretches I can't finger). IMHO the key parts are patience, consistent effort, and motivation. And good health insurance coverage. Even in my 70's, I found my body had the resources to heal and regain function, if I had the motivation to do the needed work.

As to motorcycles, I've lost people I know to the risks of riding them. And I've lost people to the "joys" of cigarettes and alcohol, as well. What choices we make -- well, we will know the consequences of them, but that information can arrive too late to allow for reconsideration of choices.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

27. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

DocT 

Best wishes for a speedy recovery man. I'm glad you're mending. I've got a Yamaha SR 400 sitting in my garage that i bought last year that I never really took too. Fifty seems a little old to start out as a new rider, and the notion of a split second mistake ending my playing days (or my life) is a too much for my risk-reward calculus. Even still, I hope continue to follow your path safely (and that someone got that SOB driver on their dash cam and turns him in to the cops).

Best of luck on your recovery. I restored and rode classic BMW airheads for many, many years and quit riding once people started texting and driving.

Hope your PT goes well!

I only ride dirt bikes (there's only dirt roads where we live) but I would not be comfortable riding on tar without proper leathers. And some people's decision to ride motorcycles is not about joy, it can be more a practical choice
    Mandolin: Kentucky KM150
    Other instruments: way too many, and yet, not nearly enough.

My blog: https://theoffgridmusician.music.blog/
    My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChF...yWuaTrtB4YORAg
    My Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/africanbanjogunnar/
    Free backing tracks:
    https://backingtrackers.wordpress.com/