Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I can’t play now

Default Re: I can’t play now

Doc, I'm so sorry to hear this! It's impossible to know what you must be going through with that shoulder, and other parts.
    Kentucky KM-380

I wear a jacket from BMG designed for hot weather and I shudder to think what would have happened without it.

I got out my mandolin today and tried to play something. It’s too soon. I could make two finger cords very painfully. But at least I got that far. I can now also get my pants on by myself if I am very careful but sometimes still need a little help. I can’t put my socks on by myself at all. Ha ha Ha it’s like being a little baby.

I’m not looking forward to rehab because the last time the doctor manipulated my shoulder I thought I was gonna throw up.
    Loar LM-370

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.” ― Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DocT For This Useful Post:

Best wishes for a full recovery. I also ride, and fear accidents.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Heal quick. I had a very bad hand accident and surgery 7 years ago and couldn't fret an instrument for 2 years. It was very demoralizing. I messed around with a resonator guitar to keep my ear in shape. Never got very good at slide guitar but psychologically it was a good decision. Best wishes
    2003 John Sullivan F5 "Roy"
    2015 Heiden F Artist
    2019 Ruhland F5 #35

Quote Originally Posted by DocT View Post
    I wear a jacket from BMG designed for hot weather and I shudder to think what would have happened without it.

I got out my mandolin today and tried to play something. It’s too soon. I could make two finger cords very painfully. But at least I got that far. I can now also get my pants on by myself if I am very careful but sometimes still need a little help. I can’t put my socks on by myself at all. Ha ha Ha it’s like being a little baby.

I’m not looking forward to rehab because the last time the doctor manipulated my shoulder I thought I was gonna throw up.
    Yeah, I get the pants and sock thing. It was the same with me. I remember my daughter and son-in-law coming home for the holidays and the first thing they had to learn was how to put daddy together in his sling and supports. One suggestion, visit a few clothing stores and look for pants that you can actually get in and out of with your one hand. I ended up changing my wardrobe so I could go back to work.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

7. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

DocT 

Elastic waist bands?
    Loar LM-370

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.” ― Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Quote Originally Posted by DocT View Post
    Elastic waist bands?
    That would be part of the problem, yes. Forget a belt for a while.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Doc, I’m praying you are better soon! I’m glad it wasn’t worse!

11. The following members say thank you to Skip Kelley for this post:

DocT 

Sorry to hear of your assault. As a biker who's been assaulted three times, I think you'll come out fine in the end. Better, stronger, and you legit dodged another of life's bullets.

My wife took a tumble last year and within a week was in for “comprehensive reverse shoulder replacement surgery”. 6 months of PT now a year later she still has some pain. The vacation was cut a little short last year, this year? No injuries and a fine time was had by all!
    It will heal Doc but, let it heal with care. Patience will be rewarded!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

14. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

DocT 

I hope you have a full recovery and return to your enjoyment of music and mandolin in time, Doc. The human body is a miraculous thing. Give it time, listen to your doctors, and stay positive. There are many studies that show how much impact the patient’s mental attitude has on outcomes.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar View Post
    And some people's decision to ride motorcycles is not about joy, it can be more a practical choice
    ^^^^ Yes. When I was in my early 20s, my wife and I were so broke I had to get a motorcycle because I couldn't afford a car. I rode it for two years, rain or shine, etc. Sometimes it was flat out miserable, but on the nicer days it was great. Almost got hit once and it was quite scary. This was the pre-cell phone era when people weren't as distracted as they are now. I can't really imagine riding in a big city these days with ubiquitous cell phones and distracted drivers on every street.

DocT, here's wishing you a speedy recovery and some happy mandolin days in the near future.

17. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Gunnar 

Thanks for all the well wishes and all the prayers. Things like this to keep us going. There have been some wonderful people that are going out of ther way to help In this very trying time and I appreciate everyone of them.

Well next week I’m going to try again to play a few chords and see if I can manage even one or two without pain.
    Loar LM-370

DocT, there are "adaptive equipment" items made to help with dressing, there is an item that you put the sock onto, put your foot on the sock, and pull the equipment out. And wanting to get back into playing can be incentive. Hopefully you will continue to heal rapidly, and get back into playing as soon as possible.

20. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

DocT 

I might be pushing it a little bit with the playing but still I’m going to try. I’ve tried to get off of all the pain medication. Why anyone would want to take that mess for fun I just cannot fathom. Anyway back to playing I know this is set me back a little bit but I will overcome this somehow.

I know there’s a lot of typos but it’s because I’m speaking to my iPad and letting it type for me. And apparently does not recognize my accent very good. Being from the south sometimes it’s easier if I fake an accent and get them to understand me. Ha ha Ha ha ha.
    Loar LM-370

Oh, and one more suggestion from experience. Buy several back scratchers and leave them around your house. There are places back there that you're going to have real issues getting to any time soon.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

23. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

DocT 

I can’t understand why people think those things are fun either! I hate the way they make me feel!
    Mike is right, the back scratchers will be invaluable!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Doc - Sorry to hear about your accident. It does not surprise me that the person who hit you drove off. Most accidents where motorcyclists are hit, the drivers of the cars are given very light sentences/fines. Meanwhile, we are left bleeding and/or limping through our days.

I rode for 7 years from age 63 to age 70. I quit while I was ahead and have not looked back. Too many "phone dicks" as I call them. If I want to ride now, I rent for a day or a week (like a recent trio to Colorado) and get out into the country where the chances of getting hit are much less.

I took the money from the sale of my motorcycle and bought several beautiful Northfields and a Pava A. I'm loving it. And I have all my limbs and fingers in tact. My goal now is to play as much beautiful music as I can learn... and to stay out of the ER and hospitals in general.

The best to you, Doc.

26. The following members say thank you to slinds for this post:

DocT 

Blog Entries

I'm glad your injuries weren't worse. I'm very sorry this happened to you. Wishing you a speedy full recovery.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

ATGATT

I separated both shoulders in a m/c accident about 10 years ago. I was a guitar player back then and had to switch to a smaller bodied guitar. Last year I reinjured my right shoulder again. PT got me back to my normal. I hope you heal quickly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190425_171031.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	178807   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190425_171031.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	178806  
    Out of tune and out of time.

29. The following members say thank you to HappyPickin for this post:

DocT