Thread: New bridge for Octave Mandolin? (low action, buzzing, spacing)

Default New bridge for Octave Mandolin? (low action, buzzing, spacing)

Hi all, this is my first post. I have been lurking here for a while, but I now have an actual question and would love some input.

Brief background: I have been playing a cheap Rogue mandolin for a couple of years now. I love it. I realize it's the lowest of the low as far as quality, but honestly, that thing is so much fun to play.

A couple of days ago, I acquired a Trinity College octave mandolin. Wow, I love that too!

But while playing my new TC Octave, I have a considerable amount of string buzz on the G and D strings. The bridge seems very low to me and is not adjustable.

Another thing I notice is that the string spacing (distance between the strings) seems more even with the octave than with my regular mandolin. What I mean is when I have played other mandolins, the strings are in distinct pairs of two (duh, I don't need to point this out), but on my new Octave, the grooves on the bridge space the strings much more evenly, so it's more difficult to hit them in their pairs and I'm always running into the neighboring strings.

I haven't played any other Octaves, so I have no basis for comparison, but I have been looking at a lot of pictures online, and it seems that my strings are more evenly spaced than is typical.

So now the question: I think I would like to replace my current Octave bridge with something adjustable. It's a flat-top instrument and when I compare bridges from my Rogue and my TC, the Rogue strings are indeed spaced better. Can I put a regular flat-top mandolin bridge on an Octave mandolin? Where do I get such a thing that's functional and decent but also very reasonably priced? Any other thoughts on this issue?

I hope that all made sense, and thanks in advance for any input!

Lizzie

I'll attempt to attach two photos of my octave bridge so you can see it:

bridge1 by lizabird1, on Flickr

bridge2 by lizabird1, on Flickr

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: New bridge for Octave Mandolin? (low action, buzzing, spacing

The only adjustable bridges that I know of that are on the market are for arch-top mandolins or mandolas. Whether or not one could be modified to fit your octave mandolin and maintain sufficient string height, I do not know. A mandola bridge might work, a mandolin bridge probably won't.

However, a good repair person can make a bridge for your instrument quite easily. A non-adjustable bridge will cost less.
    Another alternative is to shim the base of your existing bridge, and re-cut or replace the saddle [the bone piece].

If you do replace the bridge, it will be necessary to have the bridge base fitted to your instrument.
    You might check around and see if there is a competent repair person in your area.
    Last edited by rcc56; Jul-29-2019 at 1:32pm.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    The only adjustable bridges that I know of that are on the market are for arch-top mandolins or mandolas. Whether or not one could be modified to fit your octave mandolin and maintain sufficient string height, I do not know.
    Vern Brekke just made an interesting post on this very subject in a different thread:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...Released/page2
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    Vern Brekke just made an interesting post on this very subject in a different thread:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...Released/page2
    Thanks!

@rcc56: Thanks for that information, I appreciate your time.

Mandolin & Mandola maker

Yes I use a custom made Brekke bridge on my octave mandolins. If you give Vern the bridge height and width you need he should be able to make something for you.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

Verns bridges rock!
    they are high quality, extremely strong and well made, and adjust with ease. highly recommended.
    d

Cumberland made one for mine. I am a fan of recutting nuts for string spacing too.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

I'd go Brekke, personally. My old Gallatin has his original design and my Sage flattop octave has one of his fixed bridges. They are, quite frankly, perfect in use and true works of art. The man knows what he's doing!
    Blow on, man.

Smile Re: New bridge for Octave Mandolin? (low action, buzzing, spacing

Add wood veneer under the existing one to bring it up higher..

Being a flat top, high enough may be too low for the bridges mentioned before.
    Other than a luthier made one specific to your instrument

once it does work then you can measure how high you need and relay that data to the bridge maker..

if you still want to go into the marketplace..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture