Thread: Mandolin "B" stock or seconds etc.

2TonCommon
    The Land of Copious and Unrelenting Gnats

Default Mandolin "B" stock or seconds etc.

Good evening everyone!
    Since the ginormous electrical storm literally fried my coveted 65" 4k tv on Tuesday, I have some time to pontificate on my favorite site whilst recovering from my grief.

I took a chance and purchased a The Loar 700 VS Supreme mandolin from an ebay site . They had a 100% feedback and I'm assuming they specialize in factory seconds made by Recording King? Anyway, I was in the market for an outside beater and was able to get it for $579.00 and free shipping with case. The catch, 3 fairly noticeable cosmetic flaws with binding and finish(all in the scroll parts). No issues with construction or playability. I just wanted to throw this out here as I am going to give an honest critique when it arrives. I'm curious, considering the price, if in fact it will really sound like a top-of-the-line Loar mandolin. Whether it's good or bad, they explicitly said No Returns or Warranty. A $579.00 gamble. Will let everyone know - good or bad. Wish me luck! (Any opinions/comments would be greatly welcomed)

Regards,
    Joe
    Last edited by 2TonCommon; Jul-27-2019 at 11:28pm.
    "Of all the harm that ere' I've done,
    Alas, it was to none but me."

Goodnight and Joy be to you all!

2. The following members say thank you to 2TonCommon for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandolin "B" stock or seconds etc.

I suspect that it will sound just like a non-second The Loar. I wish you luck but I don't think you'll need it. Unpack it, do the Rob Meldrum setup on it and you'll be liking it just fine.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

4. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

2TonCommon
    The Land of Copious and Unrelenting Gnats

Thanks for the one-up. I'll do exactly that.
    Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    I suspect that it will sound just like a non-second The Loar. I wish you luck but I don't think you'll need it. Unpack it, do the Rob Meldrum setup on it and you'll be liking it just fine.
    "Of all the harm that ere' I've done,
    Alas, it was to none but me."

Goodnight and Joy be to you all!

Seems like a good argument for not having TV...... enjoy your Loar
    Mandolin: Kentucky KM150
    Other instruments: way too many, and yet, not nearly enough.

My blog: https://theoffgridmusician.music.blog/
    My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChF...yWuaTrtB4YORAg
    My Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/africanbanjogunnar/
    Free backing tracks:
    https://backingtrackers.wordpress.com/

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gunnar For This Useful Post:

Hopefully, the issues are just cosmetic. My first mandolin was an eBay B stock Kentucky that had issues. Chipped nut, fretboard separating from the neck, really poorly made/fitted bridge. The guy actually had a return policy but simply disappeared after the second email, and I had neither the time or $ to really pursue it. The mandolin was built right after their move to China around 2003 or 2004; they’re much, much better instruments now.

That said, TMS has sold “blem” Eastmans periodically that people have raved about, and there used to be a site that sold Saga returns and B stock that also got good reviews. Hopefully, that will be your experience rather than the one I had!!
    Last edited by CES; Jul-28-2019 at 8:18am.
    Chuck

9. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

I taught at a music store that got offered some B stock merch. I bought an Epiphone MM50 f5 mandolin that was said to have cosmetic flaws. Overall it looked really excellent but the binding on the headstock was kinda messed up in one spot. Otherwise it looked great. I played it for years. However, after some time my chops actually got pretty decent. I picked up an older Gibson and I was blown away by how much better it played and sounded and not by just a little.

The whole experience made me reconsider how my mandolin was setup. I got it refretted and despite every effort I couldn't get it to budge in tone or playability.. Eventually I realized the neck orientation was not perbidicular to the top.. The bridge could not be set level and have anything like correct action..

Examine factory seconds carefully. Cosmetic flaws are more than just bad finish work.

11. The following members say thank you to BillytheB for this post:

I bought my Eastman MD 505 from TMS, but I never was able to find the flaw, and I really tried. Eastman's QC must be off the charts.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

13. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post: