Thread: Best suited cast tailpiece

2TonCommon
    The Land of Copious and Unrelenting Gnats

Default Best suited cast tailpiece

Hi everyone!
    I was wondering if there was a cast tailpiece "best suited" for a The Loar 700vs Supreme mandolin? I'm not crazy about the punched out style stock tailpieces. Was hoping to avoid major re-drilling etc. I heard that Allen tailpieces worked very well.
    Any advice is appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Joe
    "Of all the harm that ere' I've done,
    Alas, it was to none but me."

Goodnight and Joy be to you all!

Default Re: Best suited cast tailpiece

It's always a roll of the dice on imported stamped tailpieces. Some of the inexpensive cast tailpieces are a guaranteed redrill project. The James tailpiece and the Allen TR-1 TR-2 and TR-3 tailpieces are meant to be standard spacing. Those are probably your best bets.

https://www.axinc.net/James_Mandolin...iece_p/jtt.htm

https://www.allenguitar.com/tpcs.htm

The less expensive Ashton Baily and a slew of other inexpensive tailpieces available on eBay will require redrilling. The hole spacing for the AB is here on Stewmac's page.

I forgot to mention that Allen also makes cast tailpieces that do not have standard spacing.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Jul-27-2019 at 10:08pm.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

It happens that today I'm swapping out an imported stamped tailpiece, probably from Korea, no way of knowing for sure with a James tailpiece. If you look at the pictures casually you'll probably think they are the same. The truth is that the bottom screw is close, the upper two are no where near being right. This is a standard tailpiece and by the way, there really isn't a true standard but Bill James and the folks at Allen do try. I'll end up filling the holes with round toothpicks held in with white glue and trimmed off. Then I'll re-drill the holes correctly. Bill James actually uses that elongated hole for the end pin to accommodate the differing spots that the end pin hole is drilled. Allen as far as I know does not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JamesVsImported.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	709.6 KB 
ID:	178597  
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

I was just about to buy a 2nd from Allen (marred finish), which are about $80 IIRC, when one popped up on Reverb, new in package, from a guy whose plans changed. I got that for less.
    Last edited by Greg P. Stone; Jul-27-2019 at 6:46pm.
    1989/2019 Ike Bacon/Barry Kratzer F5
    1945 Levin 330
    192? Bruno (Oscar Schmidt) banjo-mandolin
    early Eastwood Mandostang
    2005 Tacoma CB-10 acoustic bass guitar
    Fender Tweed Deluxe clone

7. The following members say thank you to Greg P. Stone for this post:

To put it into perspective here are the holes required for the James vs the plugged supposed standard. The James is probably closer. Yours might be closer than this one was.

I have no idea why I can't get these images to go the right way.

Name:	JamesVsStandard2.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	609.0 KB 
ID:	178600  
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Thanks Mike! I just pulled the trigger on a new James for my F-9 and will look forward to some detailed hole examination.

Do you notice any tone difference with the James? My banjo experience tells me to expect some differences from a different tailpiece, but mandolin is a different animal.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

I don't expect any tonal difference, you either do it to make the string change easier or for the looks. You shouldn't have problems with the holes or at least I wouldn't think you would on a Gibson product. Pay particular attention to setting the angle on the tailpiece. Beyond that it's beautiful.

Name:	JamesInstalled.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	674.0 KB 
ID:	178607  
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

12. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Mike summed your options beautifully in post #2. I, too, tired of wrestling with stamped metal tail pieces and put an Allen on one of my mando's. The Allen is rock solid, looks nice and feels nice too (no sharp corners) but fishing the strings to put them off is a little more work. When I finished my 5th mando a couple years back, I went to order another Allen, but the $20 shipping put me off and I decided to splurge on a James. Oh my goodness, gracious, what a joy. The whole thing is machined, not stamped, and made in USA. Thus the price is higher and you generally only find them on mandos in $5,000+ range. The machined cover is hinged and rubber O rings mute the strings when you snap the cover down. Changing strings is a piece of cake. Indeed, if you're a working musician who changes strings much, it's a well-worth upgrade IMO.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob Roy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I just installed my new James tailpiece on my 2002 F-9... What a beautiful piece of equipment; stoutly built, extremely well designed, totally functional and very pleasing to the eyes.

Installation was basically by the book, perfect out of the box. The screw holes matched exactly, in fact I'm using the stock screws which were a slightly smaller, finer thread than those provided by Bill, I figured why re-drill and re-tap if not absolutely necessary. The strap pin fit perfectly right in the middle of the elongated hole, so it looks like it was made for it. The tailpiece angle also was perfect for my current saddle/action adjustment. I was even able to use my old (but very clean) strings, which I really preferred so I could more accurately compare tone and volume before/after...

Regarding tone and volume changes, I'm gong to give everything a day to settle in before trying carefully to compare.. I'm really a believer that any change on an instrument has the potential to change tone and volume, including loosening and re-tightening strings, adjusting the bridge, relocating string loops on a differently spaced talipiece, etc...

My first impression is more of a logical one than a sound-based one: This is a stoutly built tailpiece compared to the original Gibson stamped sheet metal tailpiece, it has significantly more mass and weight, it holds the strings much more solidly and firmly, and it is meticulously designed. So my logical bias, yes, partially based on years of banjo tailpiece experience, is that the James tailpiece has to make some difference in tone. But I'm not going to try to prove it to myself at this time.

My comparison is going to be facilitated by my backup mandolin, my MK, which I have setup as similarly as possible to my F-9, and which I've played very frequently side-by-side with the F-9. Anyway, I'm going to resist temptation; I'll start to make that comparison tomorrow.

Mike, thanks for sharing your experience with the James tailpiece here. I'm extremely happy!!!
    -- Don

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    [Our recent arrival]

16. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

It's cool that holes matched up. I had to plug and redrill and change the tailpiece angle a bit on the imported mandola.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

18. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Blog Entries

So, here's my comparison... Quick summary opinion, the F-9 seems to be noticeably louder with the James tailpiece. This is comparing it to my backup MK LFSTB F-style mandolin, which is setup as similarly as possible to my F-9, and which has not had any changes for the last year or so. Before comparing them today, both instruments were freshly thoroughly cleaned, including cleaning the saddle slots, the nut slots and the strings which are of the same age.

This MK has a history of really sounding quite good, good enough that it makes a suitable backup for the F-9. It's tone is brighter and more hollow sounding than the F-9, but it has huge bass and long sustain. It's interesting to note that this final model of the MK has MK's own very solid and heavy welded tailpiece.

The F-9 has the typical Gibson woody muted tone and percussive bark, while the MK has noticeably less of these characteristics. While I do like the MK a lot, I much prefer playing the F-9 for its specific tone.

The MK also had very similar volume as the F-9. Now, with the James tailpiece on the F-9, the F-9 is enough louder that both my wife and I can notice the difference immediately.

As much as I've tried to bracket setup changes to the F-9 though, a lot has been done to it in the process of changing the tailpiece... Even though I haven't changed the strings, the strings have been loosened and re-tightened, and they are in different positions on the nut and saddle due to different loop hook locations on the new tailpiece. I've also lowered the action. So as such I can't absolutely guarantee that the volume difference isn't the result of some other change. But for whatever it's worth, the instrument is noticeably louder now.

As Mike pointed out, worded differently in an earlier post, any decision to replace a tailpiece should probably be based on improved convenience and/or esthetics... From this comparison experience though, I might add that if you're replacing a stamped thin sheet-metal tailpiece with a heavier and more solid tailpiece, you may actually hear a difference in sound.
    -- Don

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    [Our recent arrival]

have they started making titanium ones yet, its all the rage in violins

Blog Entries

I haven't read anything of future James tailpieces being made of titanium, however while these tailpieces are much more solid than the typical stamped thin sheet metal tailpiece, they are definitely not as heavy as many of the cast or welded tailpieces are -- and that may be an important factor for some people.

As I was installing my James tailpiece on Friday I remember wondering what they are made of because they are not really that heavy. But solid, yes!

One of the things that bothered me the most about my original Gibson stamped tailpiece is that it was bending in a few different directions under string tension and it had been doing that since I acquired the instrument. My new James tailpiece doesn't do that.
    -- Don

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    [Our recent arrival]

Common, I replaced the tailpiece on a LM700 with an Allen and the screw and end pin holes were a direct match. YMMV

23. The following members say thank you to nordian for this post:

PS. I used the TR2 gold Allen

25. The following members say thank you to nordian for this post:

So cool when it just works!

I do however miss the orrico cast piece I have. I like it’s a bit different and I like the mass of it. Solid old worldly.
    I wonder what it would take to get a small foundry to cast some on order sometimes.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kjbllc View Post
    have they started making titanium ones yet, its all the rage in violins
    I emailed with Bill James about the metal he uses. His tailpieces are made of bronze.

In my opinion from my banjo experience, the best banjo tailpieces are made either of bronze or of brass. Of these, bronze has better tone and resonance related qualities.

I have a titanium plate in my neck, but it doesn't sound like much.
    -- Don

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    [Our recent arrival]

Blog Entries

I've noticed one very significant difference with the James tailpiece on my F-9...

With the original stamped sheet metal tailpiece, when tuning for example my low G course, I'd tune the 8th string, and then when I moved on to the 7th string and tuned it, the 8th string would actually go either flat or even sometimes sharp, and I'd have to re-tune it. That happened with all of my strings, some courses much more noticeably than others, but always happening.

I had thought perhaps I needed to widen the slots in my nut, that the strings were binding.

But it has disappeared completely with the James tailpiece and I didn't do anything to the nut (or to the saddle either), so I'm now thinking that the string tension was bending the whole tailpiece enough to require the tuning touch-ups...

Looking over the old tailpiece, I can see a number of areas that are bent out of alignment with the rest of the tailpiece. It's only 17 years old, but under string tension it didn't hold its shape.

So anyway, tuning is noticeably much easier now with the James tailpiece!
    -- Don

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    [Our recent arrival]

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    It's always a roll of the dice on imported stamped tailpieces. Some of the inexpensive cast tailpieces are a guaranteed redrill project. The James tailpiece and the Allen TR-1 TR-2 and TR-3 tailpieces are meant to be standard spacing. Those are probably your best bets.

https://www.axinc.net/James_Mandolin...iece_p/jtt.htm

https://www.allenguitar.com/tpcs.htm

The less expensive Ashton Baily and a slew of other inexpensive tailpieces available on eBay will require redrilling. The hole spacing for the AB is here on Stewmac's page.

I forgot to mention that Allen also makes cast tailpieces that do not have standard spacing.
    I never understood what the big deal is about redrilling. More often than not the new tailpiece will cover the old holes anyway. I’ve changed the tailpiece on a few mandolins and never had to plug the old holes.

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    I never understood what the big deal is about redrilling. More often than not the new tailpiece will cover the old holes anyway. I’ve changed the tailpiece on a few mandolins and never had to plug the old holes.
    Look at post 5 above. I didn't have to plug two of the holes, but I had to plug the third because the new screw hole was too near the old hole. Not plugging is not a big deal but shoving a round toothpick with some wood glue on it in a hole and trimming it off takes about 20 seconds for each hole. I don't make them go away by finishing them or anything.

If I hadn't plugged the third hole the screw would have eventually worked its way loose.

Oh, and some folks are afraid to drill into their instruments. me, I go forward with the courage of the ignorant.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Aug-23-2019 at 3:43pm.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

As I understand, James is a machined casting, the basic form cast then finished with a CNC milling machine..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

32. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post: