Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gibson A Oval Tuning Machines

Blog Entries

Default Re: Gibson A Oval Tuning Machines

Russ, Thank you very much for the descriptive "tour" and photos. You did a great job and it adds to my faith that these will work well on at least one of my mandolins with this need. Best to you!
    Dan Brooks
    2017 Collings MT(GT), 2007 Eastman 815V, 1913 Gibson A1, 1912 Gibson A1, 1930ís Strad-o-Lin

2. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

You're welcome, Life-Long!
    It's been a few days now and the tuners are indeed doing a better job of holding the strings to pitch. Well worth the expense and completely reversable should I ever desire to have a "pure" A1 again.
    One watch by night, one watch by day...if you get confused, just listen to the music play.

4. The following members say thank you to Russ Donahue for this post:

Blog Entries

This is an important and necessary improvement for one of the best sounding and most dependable mandolins ever made! Thanks again, Russ!
    Dan Brooks
    2017 Collings MT(GT), 2007 Eastman 815V, 1913 Gibson A1, 1912 Gibson A1, 1930ís Strad-o-Lin

6. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Donahue View Post
    You're welcome, Life-Long!
    It's been a few days now and the tuners are indeed doing a better job of holding the strings to pitch. Well worth the expense and completely reversable should I ever desire to have a "pure" A1 again.
    Hi Russ and All, I took a while to get back to this project. I did buy the Golden Age tuners from Stew-Mac and they fit perfectly on the best playing and sounding of the two mandolins. My 1912 is the one that had the larger bushings and had been in the Gibson shop and had a Gibson decal added presumably in the 50's? They would definitely fit my 1913 as well, but this mystery 1912 A4 paddle head matched up perfectly. The dropped right in, and even the old screw holes were in the same exact location! I can't believe how smoothly they turn and hold pitch. Compared to the old ones it is a 100% improvement in function and comparable quality to any stock tuners I have had on a US made mandolin. They are an inexpensive way ($57 plus tax) to really improve a 110 year old instrument. They look great too! The cream buttons look like the aged ones. I saved a bit and bought the bright nickel and I like the way they look. Anyway, I wanted to follow up and let you know how pleased I am with these Golden Age tuners. Dan
    Last edited by lflngpicker; May-09-2020 at 6:09pm. Reason: Golden Age Tuners, Stew Mac, Gibson A4, Tuning Machines
    Dan Brooks