Thread: K&K Silver Bullet

Default K&K Silver Bullet

Hello mandolin lovers, I have a K&K Silver Bullet mic laying around in a draw. It comes out of a guitar that was equiped with a K&K Mini. It is just the mic with the wire. I want to try it out on my mandolin. I've heard that it needed some sort of power, (not phantom power). Can anyone explain to me how to do that? and what I need on extra equipment? I don't expect the best sound but I just want to try it out. thanks in advance.

Default Re: K&K Silver Bullet

Same as in a K&K trinity system: Solder it to the stereo jack (sleeve), use a TRS cable for connecting it to dedicated preamp/blender (K&K trinity or else). Don't solder it to a XLR and don't plug it directly to a desk, because 48V will definitely fry the mic. They are constructed for 5 to 12 V phantom power provided by a blender.
    It is a great sounding mic, by the way. I use it on guitar, banjo, bouzouki and weissenborn, paired with various pickups. On mandolin I use a DPA 4061 paired with a K&K - pickup.

Thanks mando-bob, I have the Trinity but it is crackling in the potmeters, and honestley, I think they are flimsy builded. I had the system on guitar, and it sounded very well, but it was a permanently build-in in my guitar. I took it out and have hold the silver bullet. On my mandolin I have a JJB External mounted system with the fe-male jack outside the mando and a Red-Eye pre, and it is sounding good, so I was thinking to use the silver bullet sometimes occasionaly together with the JJB, is this in any way possible???But again thank You very much for the quick response, Huub.

It is possible if you use a dedicated blender to feed the mic with phantom power as desribed above. Or you find a box for that special purpose. Years ago I had a technician build me one. Still have it in my locker and don't use it for years.

Thanks again mando-bob, it is clear now, exept one tiny detail, You said to solder it to the sleeve of a TRS jack, but the mic has two wires, so the ground goes to ground, but the main one where goes that? If I know that I have enough information and thank You again very much, Huub from Holland.

Smile Re: K&K Silver Bullet

XLR Mic* /TRS has a hot and a cold for the circuit, and ground is the braid around the cable..

Instrument cable TR plug, just a hot . cold & ground are joined..

Pin 1: Shield / Ground
    Pin 2: Positive
    Pin 3: Negative

TRS?
    https://www.dummies.com/art-center/m...s-analog-plug/..

https://www.mediacollege.com/audio/c...ck-stereo.html

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Thanks mandroid, it's all clear now.