Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Waterloo Mandolin Released

Default Waterloo Mandolin Released

https://www.waterlooguitars.com/wl-m...gGeJxeeEc_Nx9o

$1,750....not bad. And built for J-74s. The question is do I buy one without playing it first???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waterloo mandolin.jpg 
Views:	466 
Size:	232.1 KB 
ID:	178556  

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sgarrity For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Waterloo Mandolin Released

Of course. Why would you ask that here?

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mark Seale For This Useful Post:

Look nice
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Dunwell B-1 Bouzouki
    www.singletonstreet.com

You're going to need both colors right? So....

I think the black one would have a darker tone!

Looks wonderful, but let's see, $1750 for a copy of an ol' Kalamazoo that sells for $300-500? Or, as Mike likes to say, fails to sell weekly for that. The 30's K-zoo would also come with 90-year old pre-aged wood! (if you dig that sorta thing.......)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

I was very excited about this model when they showed up at the winter NAMM. Love the look and style! I am somewhat disappointed at the price point. The somewhat similar Northfield Calhoun retails for nearly a thousand less. I've been carefully watching for a nice Kalamazoo for a while, and was really turned on by the idea of getting a Waterloo to scratch that itch, but at the current MSRP, I will not hold my breath.
    “Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher ‘standard of living’ is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free.” -- Aldo Leopold

I don't think we're the target market for these. There are a lot of guitarists with Collings fever who will pick these up as a way to try out mandolin. Smart move by Collings. I'm sure they're great instruments, too, but a hard sell at this price for someone who peruses the classifieds here regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by trodgers View Post
    I was very excited about this model when they showed up at the winter NAMM. Love the look and style! I am somewhat disappointed at the price point. The somewhat similar Northfield Calhoun retails for nearly a thousand less. I've been carefully watching for a nice Kalamazoo for a while, and was really turned on by the idea of getting a Waterloo to scratch that itch, but at the current MSRP, I will not hold my breath.
    I have played the Calhouns. I think if you play one of these and play the Calhoun you will understand the price difference.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

When Waterloo guitars first came out, I thought who the hell would buy one. Rediculous idea. That's why I'm going to die poor.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Agree about Price Point being high. Maybe available for less on the street. But most of those Waterloo products are a bit pricey to my mind. Collings makes great stuff, don't get me wrong. But I would like to hear this against an Eastman 304, or a Kentucky 270 and see if it sounds $1300 better. Or an old Gibby A.

A non-adjustable bridge? That's an interesting choice.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

I'm not sure the Calhoun is a fair comparison. Those are being made as plainly as possible to keep the cost down for school music programs and people looking for a budget instrument. And I applaud them for that effort.

The Waterloo should be a much higher quality mandolin. The Waterloo guitars are a great value, even with the recent price increase. I have a WL-14X and it's one of my favorites that I've owned. Vintage tone with modern build quality. On the Collings side an MT is now $3k+ so this Waterloo is a nice entry into their line. It will definitely have appeal to crossover players, guitarists that play or want to play some mandolin. I mean how cool will a matched Waterloo guitar and mandolin pair be???

The non-adjustable bridge is a bit of a head scratcher. Easily remedied though if it does create issues.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sgarrity For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Wow those are neat, they remind me of some of the 30's Kalamazoo mandolins! Never heard of these but heck there are so many makers nowadays its a bit mind boggling to me anyway! That's why I usually stick with Gibson-budget brand Gibson and Martin guitars!

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    The non-adjustable bridge is a bit of a head scratcher. Easily remedied though if it does create issues.
    I dunno... at first I thought it was just to save costs. But then looking at the close shot at the company link, it looks like the neck angle doesn't leave enough room for a conventional 2-piece, wheel & screw adjustable bridge as a replacement.

I guess you could use a fixed bridge replacement and sand it to height, but it looks like they're basically treating this like a flattop guitar where you don't have a vertical adjustment.

The bridge isn't glued in place though, is it? I would at least want to adjust the intonation distance and angle, since mandolins are fussier at this short scale than guitars.

There are still plenty of Flatirons around for much less. The Calhoun I played at Lowe's was in that tonal category as you'd expect given the design, though the Calhoun was louder than other pancakes I've played; it was pretty impressive if you like that kind of voice.

The (three) used Waterloo guitars I've played have all sounded better than the new ones. I'm guessing there'll be used Waterloo mandolins to try in a year or two for a lot less that are just starting to wake up.

It is pretty much a copy of the Kalamazoo KM-11, that's true. Collings has built the quality they are known for into them so even though I know what they are based on and I would personally go for an original KM-11, I do understand the attraction. They've done well with the Waterloo guitars and they are pretty much based on the same brand's guitars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KM-11.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	179.0 KB 
ID:	178569  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Will make the argument the truss rod and compound radius fingerboard contribute to the price. But, yeah, it will have a tough go against the original.

Then again, my Waterloo Jumbo King is light years better sounding than an original. I know because I owned one. So these could have a sound that's more appealing than the original.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Blog Entries

Yep Mike, for the price one can get an original 30'sand have $ left over!

That can be said for any instrument purchase. It’s all a matter of choice.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    That can be said for any instrument purchase. It’s all a matter of choice.
    With the exception of certain older F5's from Gibson, probably.

Gretsch has shown that you can sell a copy of an old Harmony mandolin that can't hold a candle to a real old Harmony mandolin for a lot more money. At least here you're getting a truss rod and excellent workmanship.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Teacher, repair person

Most of the old Kalamazoo mandolins I see for sale need quite a bit of work to put them into good playing order. By the time you pay for any crack repairs, loose braces, and a good fret job and set up, the Kalamazoo's don't seem to be quite as much of a bargain anymore.
    Last edited by rcc56; Jul-26-2019 at 7:20pm.

31. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

What's with the tuners? They look like Stew Mac golden age relic finish, but with black buttons. Also they're worm under, so is the spacing from the old pre 20's Gibson's? This would mean you couldn't replace them with other modern tuners without redrilling the headstock, right?
    Last edited by seankeegan; Jul-27-2019 at 3:30am.

You never appreciate a Waterloo until you come across a loo that has no water.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    I dunno... at first I thought it was just to save costs. But then looking at the close shot at the company link, it looks like the neck angle doesn't leave enough room for a conventional 2-piece, wheel & screw adjustable bridge as a replacement.

I guess you could use a fixed bridge replacement and sand it to height, but it looks like they're basically treating this like a flattop guitar where you don't have a vertical adjustment.

The bridge isn't glued in place though, is it? I would at least want to adjust the intonation distance and angle, since mandolins are fussier at this short scale than guitars.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...pen-2-uh-oh-my

I replaced the fixed bridge on this Aspen with vern brekke's bridge that adjusts from each side with small worm screws. I removed the arch in the feet and arrived to a dead flat bottom. It worked really well, and I had an adjustable bridge setup. I'd say the same would work for these. In the posted thread link above, there are pics of the bridge before and after. I would think you could order one from vern with flat feet to start with. I had this used one on hand and it had been fitted to an arch top.another cool thing is this brekke's bridge can be adjusted under full string tension with the small Allen tool. Makes an action adjustment a 5 second ordeal.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to darylcrisp For This Useful Post: