Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Waterloo Mandolin Released

Default Re: Waterloo Mandolin Released

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Freeman View Post
    When I saw the announcement I thought about the original vs. Waterloo question too, but imagined the Collings-built instrument would smoke the original in terms of build quality, sound, and playability, probably justifying the cost differential. And here's some pretty good evidence:
    I have a Waterloo guitar...WL-14....I have compared it a 1928 Kalamazoo. Waterloo nails that vibe big time but the Waterloo has perfect intonation and playability.

Considering Collings/ Waterloo consistent build reputation purchasing one of these mandolins would be instant gratification....if you want that sound.

Blog Entries

Yep those old Kalamazoo's are pretty toasted on ebay! I agree with ya all there, I know I've seen nice ones on there before at a reasonable price , same with Reverb, and here on the Café in the past, One must do their homework before buying anything! Vintage or new and its all in what someone wants, what there personal preference is. The old saying to each his own. I do agree those Waterloos have the whole look down and the sound demo way above is pretty sweet!

I have also seen originals that are playable for less than the Waterloo. But they seem to be scarce right now.

And as I mentioned earlier, my Waterloo Jumbo king is a whole lot better of a guitar sound and playability wise than an original Regal. Which I have also owned.

It's also dependent on what you're willing to tolerate. My 1910 A is ugly. And has a number of crude repairs. But it sounds good and plays well. I sank some serious money into it, but it's a real keeper.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    It's also dependent on what you're willing to tolerate.
    Reminds me of my made in Japan high school acoustic. The action was too high, so I lowered it, but then it buzzed on certain notes/frets -- I still loved it and played it everyday and learned to stay away from those notes..........I guess you could say that was the "charm" of it -- not vintage charm -- just cheapo charm!

5. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Yahoo! There’s one at Gryphon in Palo Alto. If I had time I’d check it out. Since I don’t, someone else should. Better yet, just buy it and post about here.
    https://shop.gryphonstrings.com/prod...urst-new-56788

I played the Wateroo at Gryphon. It was very good. Better to me than some of the other new flat tops I've played. Better than a Flatiron? Some will like each. But just as when the guitars came out, I thought they are overprice, will never sell. I was wrong, so will not make the same mistake. Never underestimate marketing. The product is pretty good.

Collings products have never fully sold me. One time I go play them and they are great, a month later I can play the same one and be ambivalent. It is strange. One thing is sure, right now there is a new F 5 for around $8,000. I'd swallow hard and dig deep and buy the used Ellis. Lucky I'm only five grand short, but the Big Mon would be a nice consolation.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

8. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Finally some sound clips coming out. First a nice review from Peghead nation and then a clip from Waterloo themselves:

https://pegheadnation.com/instrument...vE2g7T3uZwXdHI

Gotta get my hands on one soon....

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sgarrity For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    I have played the Calhouns. I think if you play one of these and play the Calhoun you will understand the price difference.
    Congrats on your new Waterloo~. Can you please describe the sonic differences between the Waterloo and the Calhoun? Thank you!

I just took delivery of this one. https://themusicemporium.com/mandoli...t#&gid=1&pid=6
    It’s a great companion to my MF. To tell you the truth, the MF is more mandolin than I need and the Waterloo is about all I need at my level.
    I dig it!

Quote Originally Posted by markT View Post
    I just took delivery of this one. https://themusicemporium.com/mandoli...t#&gid=1&pid=6
    It’s a great companion to my MF. To tell you the truth, the MF is more mandolin than I need and the Waterloo is about all I need at my level.
    I dig it!
    Nice, I hope to be getting one soon.

Can’t believe there aren’t anymore videos of these yet. Seems the retail stores don’t care much about selling them. Looks like I’ll finally be in the same city as one before the end of the year. Will definitely report back after playing one.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sgarrity For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    Can’t believe there aren’t anymore videos of these yet. Seems the retail stores don’t care much about selling them. Looks like I’ll finally be in the same city as one before the end of the year. Will definitely report back after playing one.
    Please do!!!
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

I purchased a Waterloo from Artisan Guitars and couldn't be more pleased. It is beautifully built, plays like butter and sounds like a much older instrument. And given what new, good quality instruments cost these days, I don't think it's expensive. Meanwhile, I admire those of you with the ability and patience to resurrect a Flat Iron or Kalamazoo--they are treasures.
    Julie

18. The following members say thank you to werbel for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

I dunno. For the money, you could get a Big Muddy AND a Red Line Traveler . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    I dunno. For the money, you could get a Big Muddy AND a Red Line Traveler . . . .
    ...yeah, but she wanted the Waterloo. I for one will congratulate you Julie. I think you made a fine choice. May you and the ‘loo have many happy years together.

Looks wonderful! I would buy without playing it
    "Not all those who wander are lost"
    Rogue RM-100A

It looks and sounds great. I wonder if the neck profile is t
    the same as other Collings. For those who've tried one, please let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Foss View Post
    Yahoo! There’s one at Gryphon in Palo Alto. If I had time I’d check it out. Since I don’t, someone else should. Better yet, just buy it and post about here.
    https://shop.gryphonstrings.com/prod...urst-new-56788
    I just bought this one. It’s being shipped on Monday 11/11

24. The following members say thank you to Tom Sanderson for this post:

The neck is not a Collings neck. The neck is much larger and rounder, like an old Kalamazoo.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

26. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    The neck is not a Collings neck. The neck is much larger and rounder, like an old Kalamazoo.
    Are you talking about the one I’m getting, or all of them? I have 2 of the Kalamazoos (one of them is almost mint condition), and I like the necks on them. The one I’m getting has ivoroid tuner buttons rather than the back buttons I’ve seen on all the other sunburst ones. I think that It could be one of the first ones because they’ve had it for a while. The SN is 3260 . I have 48 hour approval if I don’t like it.

These Waterloo flattops look and sound (from the video sample) great, but I’ll stick with my Crystal Forest.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4B860631-3045-448F-A6E7-58DE6F1BF9F8.jpeg 
Views:	93 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	181072
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sanderson View Post
    Are you talking about the one I’m getting, or all of them? I have 2 of the Kalamazoos (one of them is almost mint condition), and I like the necks on them. The one I’m getting has ivoroid tuner buttons rather than the back buttons I’ve seen on all the other sunburst ones. I think that It could be one of the first ones because they’ve had it for a while. The SN is 3260 . I have 48 hour approval if I don’t like it.
    Tom, I’m referring to the one I have which was in the first batch to come out of Austin. But if anyone is expecting the same neck as you’d find on an MT, they are going to be disappointed.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

30. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Thanks, different neck sizes don’t really bother me. I was assuming that it would be like the Kalamazoo KM 11. What is the SN of yours? The one I bought is 3260. Gryphon had it since early August, so it might be from the first batch too.

32. The following members say thank you to Tom Sanderson for this post:

Haven't been following this. Is this Collings' first venture into mandos with Waterloo?

Thanks,
    M&M

First and only so far.

35. The following members say thank you to Joe Dodson for this post: