Thread: Trillium Octave mandolin string gauge

Default Trillium Octave mandolin string gauge

I was wondering which are the preferred strings and gauges to bring out the best sound in these wonderful instruments. Mine is a spruce top with flamed sides and backs!
    Thanks, Barry

Default Re: Trillium Octave mandolin string gauge

What is the scale length?

Did you just get that Trillium that was in the classified perhaps?
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Canada View Post
    I was wondering which are the preferred strings and gauges to bring out the best sound in these wonderful instruments. Mine is a spruce top with flamed sides and backs!
    Thanks, Barry
    I would suggest using:

D'Addario EJ80 Octave Mandolin Strings (8 strings), Full Set
    .012 - .022 - .032 - .046
    Phosphor Bronze Wound

Cheers!

Bob Abrams

Gary, Yes, I did pickup the Trillium recently posted in the Classified! I think it is 22.5 inch scale length.
    And Bob, Thanks for responding about the string gauges!
    Beautifully built instrument! Lovely full sound!
    Wish you all a great day!
    Barry
    Last edited by Barry Canada; Jul-14-2019 at 6:26am.

Bob,
    What type of pickup would you recommend for your instruments which will amplify and maintain their lovely sound qualities?
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Canada View Post
    Bob,
    What type of pickup would you recommend for your instruments which will amplify and maintain their lovely sound qualities?
    Barry
    Hi Barry,

The K & K Twin Spot Internal works well.

https://kksound.com/products/twinspot.php#simple2

Someone will need to enlarge the endpin hole to accommodate the jack. Unless you have the experience and the right tools for doing that operation, it might be best to have a competent guitar tech do the work.

Take care,
    Bob

Barry-

The J80 set is good starting place, then you can tweak from that. I have a 22 3/4" Crump OM, and I tried .13, .24, .34 and .45. I bought D'addario chrome steel singles (I like flatwounds), and built my own custom set. I think I settled on .12 .24 .34 .45

Grats on the Trillium, I hope to hear it someday. If it was a year ago, I would have been all over that deal. Instead, I ran into this great Crump.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

Thanks for you recommendation Gary. I will firstly try the recommendation of the builder Rob Abrams. I have used Thomastik flatwounds on my classical mandolin but have switched to Dogals. (Recommendation by Carlo Aonzo) The Dogals definitely bring out and enrich the incredible tone of my Brian Dean. They are also much softer on the fingers...more manageable and elastic to my touch. I prefer their inherent resonance. Strings differences are an “exploration” and “study” in themselves!
    Thank you all for jumping into this thread and giving your personal points of view.
    Best, Barry
    Last edited by Barry Canada; Jul-14-2019 at 8:14pm.

Barry, I know you're following the luthier's recommendation, which is always a good start. However, you may find like I did with my 22" scale Weber OM using that D'Addario J80 set, that the .012 on top is a little weak compared to the rest of the set.

Look at the string tension of that .012 compared to the rest of the J80 strings on the D'Addario site. It's noticeably lower tension than the other string pairs in that set. So I replace the .012's with a .013 pair bought as separate strings.

Just an idea you might want to pursue after checking out the standard J80 set.

The Trilliums are not carved top instruments. I own several of Bob’s instruments and I’d start with his recommendation first. 13s might be a little heavy. It doesn’t take much to get the top of a Trillium octave going. They are very resonant.

Thanks to you all for your generous input. This is what continues to make this forum so special.

Bob, I was wondering if these 2001 built octaves have truss rods and if so how is it adjusted?
    Increments? Access?
    What a beautiful instrument. The overtones are incredible...they just ring!
    Cheers!

Congrats on your purchase @Barry, and greetings from the other side of the pond!!

14. The following members say thank you to bbcee for this post:

For the trussed, look inside the sound hole. It should be just under the soundboard. It's really hard to get a good look at, so you your fingers to find it.
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

Thanks Pete,
    I actually discovered it!
    It is off at my luthier to adjust the action to my style of playing. Should be getting it back in a couple of weeks!
    There is another Trillium up for sale in the classified. Someone should snap it up!
    You will have no regrets..
    Barry

Follow up!
    I picked up the Trillium from my luthier who did a great job adjusting and lowering the action for me. It is strung with D’addarios EJ80s (12 22 32 46) as recommended by the builder Bob Abrams.
    The instrument is impeccable. The tone is outstanding. The sustain breathes! A real pleasure to play!
    Anyone who has listened to it remarks positively and just gets “wowed”. I do have a Weber Sage which was my first Octave. The Weber is more metallic but also has an earthy sound. The neck of the Trillium is slightly smaller and easier to play.
    Cheers to all