Thread: Dremel attachments

Default Dremel attachments

Going through my dad's old tools. He has a number of Dremel accessories including a full on "drill press" setup as well as a straight line router guide. Do these have any usefulness to the mandolin building process? I already have a drill press and a router.

2. The following members say thank you to putnamm for this post:

Default Re: Dremel attachments

I used the drill press to cut my f-holes like a pin router. Made a platform with a pin directly under the cutter and had plexi patterns with the top double stickied to it.

If it is an older dremel I wouldn't stress it too much. The coupler from the motor to the bit is plastic tubing that is grooved and not available any more. I have the last one in mine and don't want to get a newer one so go easy with small passes when you use it.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Dremel is a consumer grade tool. I'm not a fan of the company and have little to say that is nice about their accessories. However, if my dremel broke, I'd be buying another the next day. At some point you'll encounter a perfect situation for the accessories.

Blog Entries

I look at Dremel tool sets as being much like those Erector sets when I was a kid, or maybe like Lego sets more recently. Lots of different assortments with different attachments that sure are neat and will come in handy some day when nothing else will do. Meantime it mostly sits around in a drawer with a bunch of little thingies that I never use (but sure are neat) and when I do use it, probably mis-use it half the time yielding less than optimum results.

Erector sets were marketed in different "levels" of progressively higher price containing more basic pieces and maybe a few additional doo-dads that the lower levels did not include. After you built a crane or a tower with a lifting winch or whatever the featured project was for that particular set, all the pieces mostly just stayed in a box under the bed.

With the Dremel, well, same kind of thing. I actually had it out today and discovered (before I did any real damage) that it wasn't the tool for the job and got what I needed done done with a plain old needle file and elbow grease. But the next oddball job that comes along, it might well be just the perfect solution.

All that having been said, box it all up and send it to good old honketyhank. It is really neat to have a wide assortment of thingies for your Dremel.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Blog Entries

I setup the Dremel in the router tool, upside down, mounted to a metal plate that had a dental-cutter bit-sized hole in it to make a router table, and cut MOP this way. Very effective and much easier on the hands than the traditional jewelers saw.

Whatever you use for MOP though, use something to protect your breathing.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

I have used my dremel for routing the binding channel so fr, but it is tricky at best, and will make myself a router table, but use it with a small router base for inlay and I think it is invaluable.. but on occasion, i see something that only a dremel and small grinder, or sander ill do

ps , would love ti see dhergerts set up, sounds great

10. The following members say thank you to Martian for this post:

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I have used mine to route out some of my elictric guitars and solidbody mandolins
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

I've got two dremels and all the various bits, but I keep one with the small wire brush wheel installed and another with the small sanding drum installed. Both of these hang from the end of the workbench and see daily use for all sorts of things concerning instrument repair. The wire brush is good for removing surface rust from vintage metal parts, such as strat bridge saddles. The small sanding drum is useful in sizing parts needing a little material removed for a perfect fit.

The big advantage of using a dremel or a rotozip over a full size router is the weight. And, therefore, the maneuverability.

The cutting wheel is handy for cutting screws that are too long -- again, sees almost daily use for me.