Thread: Help!!! Sanding High Gloss Down to "Satin"

Smile Help!!! Sanding High Gloss Down to "Satin"

Hi! I have this pretty nice-looking cheap mandolin. It's got a high gloss finish.

I've had it for years now and I've been thinking of sanding it down to make it look a bit more "satin-y".

• Does it sound like a good idea to just sand it down, or does it sound like a big mistake?
    • Would I need to apply anything to it to keep the wood from being too vulnerable to moisture if I do this?
    • Are there any steps that I'm missing or things that I don't seem to be considering but SHOULD be?
    • Is there anything else y'all would want to know before you give me advice on this?

I don't really know anything about wood...

Uh, some notes:

This is purely a cosmetic venture! I know it won't look amazing once it's done since I'm really inexperienced, but I always liked the look of satin and more matte finishes (I believe that's what they're called haha) and I'm one of those folks who make a big deal out of making their belongings their own, all unique and whatnot!

I'm not too concerned about inadvertently changing the tone a little bit; my mandolin is sort of cheaply built and doesn't have the most amazing tone anyway, and I'm planning on upgrading sometime before Christmas so as long as I have a mandolin-sounding mandolin-shaped object, I think I'll be fine not having something gorgeous-sounding for a while.

My main concern here is that I don't want to have to worry too much more about changing weather and humidity situations...

Anyway, once it's done--if I end up doing it--I'll gladly post a before and after picture! If I do it, it won't be until I replace my strings again though.
    Feel free to donate to my MAS fund.

Default Re: Help!!! Sanding High Gloss Down to "Satin"

You shouldn't hurt anything. Start with some 0000 steel wool and see if you like the look. Want more satin get some fine sandpaper. The finish is most likely thick if it is an inexpensive instrument and unless you sand a lot you won't go thru the finish and it will keep moisture from the wood just like it does now.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

3. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Yeet 

I would use these:
    https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Mesh-Pe...gateway&sr=8-5

This way, you will have the control you need to get whatever amount of gloss you want. These are the pads I use when I'm building an instrument.

Careful to follow the contours of the instrument. Don't just go all over the place, imagine each surface as continuous past its edge so you don't sand through the finish. Corners and edges can sand through any amount of finish almost instantly if you just sand all over randomly.

I won't say this is an easy project, or that it's a good idea. But if you sand following the contours and imagining each surface as continuing past its edge, so you don't end up rounding all the corners, and therefore going through the existing finish, it shouldn't take too long.

Also-- always sand following the wood grain. Swirly scratches will be nearly impossible to remove, and will make the instrument look damaged. Straight lines following the wood grain will look intentional and not like a bad bond-o repair on a car.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

Actually, you would not be giving the instrument a “satin” or “matte” finish. A true satin finish is achieved by adding flatting agents to the finish medium. Usually something like super fine silica or some such. By using the above procedure, the finish will be de-glossed but not a true satin. A true satin finish has no scratches. A de-glossed finish actually has super fine scratches that would not be very visible to the naked eye but would be visible under magnification. I wouldn’t do it, but it certainly can be done. If it were me I’d rather sell the glossy instrument and use the money to buy one with a finish that pleases me more. But it isn’t mine. It’s yours. So you can certainly do as you wish. But you can count me as a “nay” vote. Another way to accomplish this besides the micro mesh or steel wool is to rub it with an automotive rubbing compound like Meguires or, as the old violin makers used to do, use pumice or rotten stone. You make a paste of either with mineral oil and rub it on. I’ve done it with oil varnish, never lacquer. On varnish, pumice give a look like polished marble, not terribly glossy. Rotten stone is shinier.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

7. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Yeet 

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    I wouldn’t do it, but it certainly can be done. If it were me I’d rather sell the glossy instrument and use the money to buy one with a finish that pleases me more.
    Thanks for the pointers multidon! I definitely want to buy one with a finish that I like more, but seeing as my entire current mandolin (when new) is only worth as much as a Morgan Monroe tailpiece, I doubt selling it would help me very much.

Still, I think the rest of your advice will be really helpful! It's clear that there is a lot I'll need to learn if I want to take on a project like this in the future with an instrument that I'd want to be a lot more careful with.

Marty's advice is on point. Have a look at a Lowden guitar if you can. Their "satin" finish is achieved with steel wool, and is about as nice as you can achieve- it's very classy looking, in my opinion.

Greg Mirken
    Shade Tree Fretted Instrument Repair, retired
    Nevada City, California

10. The following members say thank you to Greg Mirken for this post:

Yeet 

By the way, I followed through! Not the best "de-glossing" job but I personally am happy with it!

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...21#post1725721

12. The following members say thank you to Yeet for this post:

lenf12