Thread: First Mandolin

Default First Mandolin

About ready to pull the trigger on my first mandolin. I was pretty sold on the Eastman MD 305 but I like the Kentucky 752. For sure price difference, wondering if the difference in price worth the difference in playability. I have played guitar for many years but have never touched a mandolin. No stores anywhere near me to try out. Appreciate any input.

Default Re: First Mandolin

I wouldn't worry about playability, that can be changed on any mandolin. Sound is the thing you are looking for, also the feel of the neck. Those are the two most important things I look at. No matter who set it up, I will change it to my liking. I am fussy and like a low action so I will setup almost any mandolin I get to my specs. Had a maker set one up for me and when I told him I lowered the action he said "I set it up especially low for you". The setup is way to personal to worry about the fact one plays easier in the store than another. Just listen and make up you mind from the sound.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Yes, I agree with what Pops1 said, but based on sound rather than setup, both are good mandolins
    Mandolin: Kentucky KM150
    Other instruments: way too many, and yet, not nearly enough.

My blog: https://theoffgridmusician.music.blog/
    My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChF...yWuaTrtB4YORAg
    My Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/africanbanjogunnar/
    Free backing tracks:
    https://backingtrackers.wordpress.com/

Among imports, Eastman and Kentucky are what I have played, I've found relatively little difference in tone from the cheaper to the more expensive. Your money gets you mostly looks. If an f style will want to get you playing more, buy it. Ditto binding, inlay and gloss finish. Buy what makes you want to play. Not until you get to the 900 series Kentuckys do you get a nice tonal bump IMHO.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

More wondering if quality is worth twice price. From reading I understand f style more expensive out of the gate. For sound I am stuck listening to online demos. I live in the middle of a bunch of corn, lol, not much of a local choice to try them out.

Blog Entries

I also don't have choices where I live in the hills of good ole Pennsylvania! But I'm late in the game and have had probably 100 or more mandolins and my budget, well early on I went cheaper stuff but since I went with some pretty high end stuff-a lot has been sold or traded or sent back if I didn't like them as I know what to expect with what I buy. And everyone usually gives one an approval period so have them send what you want-you don't like send back and so the circle continues! LoL big time because once you get one well you usually get another than another and so on! Welcome to the MADNESS!

I've played some and owned some Kentucky's and they to me were better than whatever Eastman's I've played-never owned an Eastman but the ones I played didn't do much for me! My buddy had a KM-750 I think and another has a KM-650 and they aint too bad? Some of the newer Eastman's are really nice and built very well-Glassweb who is on the forum emailed me some photos of his and they look spectacular and he loves them-and he's owned and played many 1920's Loars and early Post Loar F-5 ferns! He said Eastman has upped their game since the ones I played and that was about 10 years ago! Their fit and finish looks great and I trust his words about their great tone and overall voice! I don't know the models without looking but he said they were well under 1000 bucks-that's pretty good if an import is your thing and works with your budget!

I had a Kentucky A model, I think it was a KM-150 maybe? and it was recent-my Dad got it for 100 bucks in Alabama, he set her up and changed the tuners and it was decent-I sold it to my cousin for 100 bucks and he likes it! I play 20's and 30's F-5's so I'm set with mandolins-for the time being And thus the cycle of mando madness rolls on and on!

I would contact someone like the mandolin store (or another site sponsor) that carries both. Let them know what you are looking for and ask there opinion, the stores I have dealt with have been great.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest Steve View Post
    I would contact someone like the mandolin store (or another site sponsor) that carries both. Let them know what you are looking for and ask there opinion, the stores I have dealt with have been great.
    Agree with this. Both Kentucky and Eastman are building better mandolins now than they were 10-15 years ago, IMO. But, there’s still a lot of variability from instrument to instrument. Call TMS, Folkmusician, Elderly, or Banjo Ben (who popped up as the first dealer with a 752 on google) and ask their opinion of the instruments they have in stock, and trust them. I have an Eastman 315 that I bought as a beater, but it’s a very well built mandolin. Fit and finish are excellent, and the tone is probably 75-80% of some MTs I’ve played. Seriously. The tuners and bridge are cost savers, but they function fine.

If one of the above dealers tells you you’re getting a much better mandolin in addition to the bling and (probably) nicer tuners and bridge, then it may be worth the extra $. If not, get the 305 and roll with it!
    Chuck

9. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Thanks for all the advice