Thread: Music for duets for me (mandolin) with my brother (mandola)

Default Music for duets for me (mandolin) with my brother (mandola)

Hi there!

My brother in law plays mandola and cello, whereas I play mandolin. He's a bass clef sorta guy And I mean cello as in giant violin, not mandocello.

We're looking for music (sheet music or tabs) that we can play together as duets (he is happy to be on either mandola or cello). Are there any good resources out there for us to learn some tunes together?

I'd really appreciate if someone could please point us in the right direction!

Thanks!
    CNO

P.S. I'm not even sure if mandolin would go well with a cello, come to think of it!

Default Re: Music for duets for me (mandolin) with my brother (mandola)

Quote Originally Posted by Cranial-nerve-zero View Post
    P.S. I'm not even sure if mandolin would go well with a cello, come to think of it!
    I think mandolin and cello would go wonderfully together! (I just did a quick search and readily found music books with violin and cello duets. Since the violin is tuned the same as the mandolin, voila! Similarly, I saw violin and viola duets as well.)
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Registered User maudlin mandolin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ondrej Sarek, who is a member here on the café, has written several books of cgda tuned mandola/mandolin duets (both arrangements and original compositions). I have not seen them all but think the mandola parts will be written in treble clef.

Quote Originally Posted by Cranial-nerve-zero View Post
    Hi there!

My brother in law plays mandola and cello, whereas I play mandolin. He's a bass clef sorta guy And I mean cello as in giant violin, not mandocello.

We're looking for music (sheet music or tabs) that we can play together as duets (he is happy to be on either mandola or cello). Are there any good resources out there for us to learn some tunes together?

I'd really appreciate if someone could please point us in the right direction!

Thanks!
    CNO

Bach's Inventions come to mind...and yes, to my ears mandolin goes well with cello.
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

I found these on the Virtual Sheet Music site, they would work with plucked or bowed; clefs are treble and alto (viola).
    I.J.Pleyel Six Easy Duets Op.8 for violin & viola

I play mandolin and mandocello, and one of my best friends plays mandola, so I am always looking for duets. Many many baroque pieces use a bass continuo part with a treble solo, although they usually also include a keyboard or chordal accompaniment. I have a few more suggestions but I need to dig around, I'll post later.

Does your brother play CGDA tuned mandola (like viola) or octave mandola (GDAE). BTW viola music is usually written in C clef bt if he is a cellist he probably knows that already.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1