Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ToneRite

Default ToneRite

i built my last mando, in 2008, and tone rights were something lots of folks argued over at the time.About a month ago, a friend said he had something for me, a brand new , in the box Tone Right. he said when he ordered his , years ago, they sent him 2. He contacted them, and they just said keep it. Now, my new mando, should start getting lacqour today. Yesterday, we went to a jam , and the guy was there who gave it to me, and said about time to put the TR to it.. However when I asked him about what he thought, he said he thought it was awake, and very responsive, but he also said, it killed his strings. So I said, so you put a set of strings on, and in a week or so throw them away and put a new set on? I have not seen Tone rights in the local buzz for long time, what are your thoughts, experiences?
    Mike Marrs

Default Re: Tone right

In 2008, everyone was playing Mumford & Sons.
    The music was so boring, everyone's mandolins went to sleep, hence the need for Tone-Rites to wake them up.
    It was something of an epidemic. Play something with a 6th in it occasionally, it'll be fine.

3. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sounds familiar what was it? I remember it is supposed to break in your instrument. Just set it in front of a speaker or tie a massager on top.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

it is a electric vibrator , for lack of description. they fit in the strings and supposedly wake the mando up. but again , my buddy said it killed the strings. so I never really knew if theses were the real deal, or voodoo

Blog Entries

voodoo
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

again, hoping to find somebody who used this thing and if it shoots down a perfectly good set of strings???? But, talking about voodoo, I don't know anyone who didn't put their new instrument in front of their speaker, including me. That said, if my mandos set in the case for a long time , I do believe they went to sleep, if my martin does, new strings wake it up immediatly

Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    ...I don't know anyone who didn't put their new instrument in front of their speaker, including me....
    You can't say that anymore.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

I agree with a sleeping instrument. I feel both of my mandolins do this if they sit to long but it only takes a bit of hard playing to limber them back up.

The concept is sorta sound (pun?)
    If it had a control function that cycled through frequencies and intensity, had an attack function, actually imparted playing level mechanical input to instrument, it would be more convincing, and would probably sell more.
    Just a thought.
    I used one on my new mando a few years ago, saw and heard no negative consequences. I did experience a initial break in/wake up...no way to tell if it happened on any different timeline than natural.
    I don’t think it could wear out strings.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

just when I thought "thanks to cataclysmic events keeping our attention focused on important issues we didn't have a Tonerite thread in years", this happens
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

13. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Like my audio repair tech said, if you just paid $1000 for a pair of one meter audio interconnects, they will sound good.

Seriously, someone I know and respect swears by them.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

you can just play the hell out of it too you know! I find humidity has some effect on my fiddle sound .

I bought a used guitar tone rite and used it on a couple of acoustics before a string change. The strings were already killed so that wasn't a worry. It didn't seem to make enough difference to me to be worth it. I guess I might use it again when I go back to playing the guitar, simply because I already have it and it can't hurt anything if I need to change the strings anyway.

With all the “is it worth it” hand ringing...do like I did, borrow one for your break in period of a new instrument. I’m sure there are enough in the Cafe collective, pay postage both ways and include a thanks gift to your Cafe friend.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Default Re: ToneRite

Matt, a buddy gave me one brand new, but he also thought the strings died, It was on his Sam Bush model, but he also thought it was a little louder, albeit very un-scientific

19. The following members say thank you to Martian for this post:

It's my hope that when people try things they expect to change the sound of their instrument that they do hear a difference because otherwise it's a monumental waste of time. On the other hand, don't expect anyone that doesn't have a vested interest to hear the same change. I've spent good money on things that I'm sure would make my guitars and mandolins sound better. I don't recall ever saying "that sounds worse to me". That's just human nature. We're all guilty of that.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

21. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

I would like to add, these "gadgets" are all part of the hobby and make it more fun for certain people. Some people buy songbooks, some people love trying different picks, some people search for the ultimate string choice, some people are finicky about setups, type of bridge, tailpiece, polishes, straps, flight cases, tone gard, etc.......all part of the hobby, IMHO.

Does it make a difference? That's where we don't all agree. My take is sure, you can improve and upgrade your instrument, BUT I honestly think the improvement can only be a percent or two, at best, over doing nothing at all.

They sound kinda cool, but 100 bucks? They do not sound that coool!

I think I would rather use 'Opening up' my mandolin as another awesome excuse to pick it as much as humanly possible. On the toilet... In between stirring the gravy/sauce... While watching Game of Thrones reruns in the background... Etc... Lol!
    Frog...

It's not how you pick your nose ... It's where you put the booger!

Seems like a lot of worry over a set of strings. I say go for it.
    Mitch Russell

Evidence?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tonerite study.pdf  

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

C'mon John you're not actually going to introduce proof into this concept?

I've never seen that before. That's a kick in the pants.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    Evidence?
    I do not have any experience with Collings Guitars, and very very little with Taylor. We do have a newish Taylor here but it is my sons so I rarely play it or even hear it. I do however have a little experience with Martin. I have a Little Martin with a Sitka top and a 000-18 GE with he '37 sunburst. These are mine bought new in the early 2000s. Figure 2 in the evidence posted for the Martins does seem realistic. I see no real trend and the data does, depending on which guitar you look at coinciding with my experience. In this, I mean what little changes I noticed match one or the other guitar not necessarily the same guitar for every test. So, in the end, there could be a little change mostly in my mind so imperceptible as to not be distinguishable from new. Now with mine how much of that deal with the aging of the wood, not the playing in and the aging of my ears and or the imperfect memory my family seems to think I have. Way too many variables to be able to judge correctly. In the end, if its a guitar I like the sound of new I will most likely like the sound of it going forward. For me, I really love a good Martin. Taylors are nice but if I am buying between the two the Martin will almost always get my cash. My son is drawn to the Taylor tone. man would I love to play with a Collings just because!

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I shouldn't have bought those new super-special picks last week either. But it was fun!
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I had a high-end mandolin a couple years ago that I hoped would open up. After a year of playing, I was not happy with it so I figured I'd give the tone-rite a try. I bought a used one here on the cafe and ran it continually for several weeks, maybe more than a month. I also tried varying the intensity and running/rest periods. After not seeing any difference, I even had the top re-tap-tuned. While I saw some difference there, it was not signigicant. I think that mandolin was meant to be "high and tight".

So my experience with tone-rite is not positive, but it may have had something to do with a beautiful, but tight mandolin.

I put the tone-rite back up for sale here on the cafe, but it went without any takers. If anyone wants it for the shipping cost, PM me and I'll gladly ship it out. :-)
    ========================
    2012 Gibson F5 Master Model
    2019 Northfield F5 Artist 5 Bar
    2019 Northfield Arched Octave Maple
    2020 Northfield F5 4.0

Myfeeling is that you should find one that sounds right to you from the beginning. Over the years we've had Cafe members (generally new to mandolin) that are setting up their mandolins and blasting loud music at them for days assured in their own minds that the mandolin they bought will eventually sound better because they always heard this would work. I do believe that instruments do change over time but I've never seen any real results where anyone has used any sort of mechanical vibrating device to change them. There will always be someone trying something to change their instrument's sound. Frank Wakefield famously baked his Lloyd Loar signed Gibson mandolin in his oven.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

32. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post: