Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ToneRite

Default Re: ToneRite

you are so right Mike, it is just I have a newly finished one that I built and wanted to put this to a test. so if in fact it opens up, I will not really know, as it did not have a " before" sound. Frankly. I am skeptical. The last mando I made was almost 10 years ago., and tone rites , and tap tuning were big items of discussion, and argument, and then it seems they fell from the screen. I also am an avid bow hunter, . Every year, there are new, got to have products to help you out smart deer, and about 90% are voodoo, imo. and are in the marketplace that year, and maybe one more, then gone. But as stated, it was given to me, and I will give it a run. Thanks for the many responses

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    Evidence?
    very interesting 🧐.....
    Thanks for sharing this,...may save me $100 some day.
    Learnin’....

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Frank Wakefield famously baked his Lloyd Loar signed Gibson mandolin in his oven.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

I have one for guitar and one for mandolin. I have used them for new instruments or those that went through major repair. In most cases it really did help. One guitar I remember did not improve with it, but it was not much of a guitar. For instruments with red spruce it helped them open up faster. I’m glad I have them and still use them at times. Are they worth it? I don’t know, but I’m glad I have them.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Joe For This Useful Post:

Until someone clearly understands why good tone is achieved in one mando and not the other, I'll withhold any opinion as to what does or does not improve said tone.

As of right now, we don't know the answer.

7. The following members say thank you to fscotte for this post:

want to thank everyone for their answers, and probably if it were not given to me , I would not have purchased one I just would have played the frets off it, and tried different strings until I found what it liked. I am starting out w/ D'Addario EXP 74. I do like the silk and steel on my other one , but want to experiment a little.

Blog Entries

I play a set of Tibetan Singing Bowls in front of all my stringed instruments and they sound great.

(really)

(of course the trick is finding a way to make the Tibetan Singing Bowls sound good)
    Last edited by dhergert; Jul-24-2019 at 10:54am.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Blog Entries

For anyone wanting their mandolin awakened, I offer a service. Send it to me, and, for a fee of course, I will play it 8 to ten hours a day for for 10 business days.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Along those same lines I remember reading somewhere that Mark Twain hated smoking fresh corn cob pipes so much that he would find a local who was down on their luck and then pay them to break in his new pipes for 2-3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bowman View Post
    I had a high-end mandolin a couple years ago that I hoped would open up. After a year of playing, I was not happy with it so I figured I'd give the tone-rite a try. I bought a used one here on the cafe and ran it continually for several weeks, maybe more than a month. I also tried varying the intensity and running/rest periods. After not seeing any difference, I even had the top re-tap-tuned. While I saw some difference there, it was not signigicant. I think that mandolin was meant to be "high and tight".

So my experience with tone-rite is not positive, but it may have had something to do with a beautiful, but tight mandolin.

I put the tone-rite back up for sale here on the cafe, but it went without any takers. If anyone wants it for the shipping cost, PM me and I'll gladly ship it out. :-)
    I would love to try it out Todd and would be happy to cover shipping costs!

Quote Originally Posted by James Kell View Post
    I would love to try it out Todd and would be happy to cover shipping costs!
    You realize he posted that almost three years ago right? July if 2019.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.