Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow, what a flip!

Blog Entries

Default Wow, what a flip!

Nice looking but problematic Gibson H-2 sold a few days ago on ebay for a reasonable amount given its condition: 1918-Gibson-H-2-Mandola

Nice looking but problematic Gibson H-2 now listed on ebay for 143% more: 1918-Gibson-H-2-Mandola-w-Original-Case-H-2-Mandolin-Family-Mandocello-antique

At least they shot new photos for the new listing. Pretty blatant cut and paste on the description text, though.

NFI, but I thought it was interesting.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Default Re: Wow, what a flip!

Just to underscore the dramatic increase, you also can mathematically express this as "the new price being 243% of the original price"--the hoped-for "profit" being 143%. Like buying a used car for $1,000 and then turning around and selling that same used car for $2,430.

A great investment if the buyer/seller comes anywhere close to getting the asked-for $2,795. But perhaps what matters in the end...hopefully...is that the new buyer has an instrument that suits the new buyer well, and that he/she is pleased-as-punch with the mandola, regardless of its cost.

Not a flip until someone buys it. The story might be, "Wow, what wishful thinking".
    1989/2019 Ike Bacon/Barry Kratzer F5
    1945 Levin 330
    192? Bruno (Oscar Schmidt) banjo-mandolin
    early Eastwood Mandostang
    2005 Tacoma CB-10 acoustic bass guitar
    Fender Tweed Deluxe clone

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg P. Stone For This Useful Post:

===========

All things considered, I think the original $1,150 was a decent deal . . . but for my money, $2,800 would cause me to look somewhere else.

I'd like to have an old Gibson mandolin someday, but I just can't tell when an old Gibson is priced reasonably and if it might have some structural problems that will be expensive repairs. The good thing is that a lot of the examples seem pretty cheap for a name brand instrument that is so old.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

That's because Gibson made a whole lot of mandolins in the early years. That's good for those looking for one from that era. It probably caused issues for the company having to compete against the used market to sell new mandolins in a time that demand was depressed.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by Greg P. Stone View Post
    Not a flip until someone buys it. The story might be, "Wow, what wishful thinking".
    I’m starting to repeat myself...
    “Askin’ ain’t Sellin’!”
    I have a 1998 second owner Jeep Cherokee sport with under 150k on that I’d part with for $10,001!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timbofood For This Useful Post:

Isn’t this the way dealers have made a living for many years?

11. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Correction,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3BAC3BAC-C3B7-4791-ABEA-15DE9478E5E3.jpeg 
Views:	171 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	178226

My wife says we really want $11,111.11 for it.!
    Timothy F. Lewis

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Timbofood For This Useful Post:

If it sits long enough, and I really wanted it I would offer $1500 and bet I would get it - the new owner would make $350 for doing nothing but repackaging it to ship out again.

The refinish will keep value at $1500 or so if lucky.

A refin., hmm.
    Kentucky KM-380

Yep, first rule of vintage instruments: Don't mess with original finish.
    Second rule of vintage instruments: Don't mess with original finish.

18. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Wow, 4 days and not a nibble on the Jeep!
    Original finish!
    Timothy F. Lewis

20. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brock View Post
    I'd like to have an old Gibson mandolin someday, but I just can't tell when an old Gibson is priced reasonably and if it might have some structural problems that will be expensive repairs. The good thing is that a lot of the examples seem pretty cheap for a name brand instrument that is so old.
    keep looking. there are a lot of great old gibsons that are waaaay under priced for the tone you get. you will develop an eye for what will be worth it, but until then make some friends here with the old guy here who can spot all the details.

some good one show up on ebay and some good ones show up on the classifieds here.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaulted View Post
    A refin., hmm.
    yeah at the original price ok take a chance. might be a great tone. but at the new price. yikes. i have a great sounding 1923 snakehead refinished. i take it busking because it's refinished, but it sings. some refins are worth a gamble.

I think the price has been chopped down a bit.

And again- down to $1995.

Blog Entries

This is like watching a slow speed chase.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

Am I going to drop my price on the Jeep?
    Timothy F. Lewis

Blog Entries

$1795 and dropping like prime northern goose down.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    I have a 1998 second owner Jeep Cherokee sport with under 150k on that I’d part with for $10,001!
    Tim, why sell such a low mileage car? My 97 Ford E150 has 268K and just made a 1600 mile trip last month! Technically, not worth a lot, but to upgrade it to something newer would cost a bunch just to haul a few things around every month. Anyway, that's my cheapskate logic -- as long as it runs, drive it, it's paid for!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Tim, why sell such a low mileage car? My 97 Ford E150 has 268K and just made a 1600 mile trip last month! Technically, not worth a lot, but to upgrade it to something newer would cost a bunch just to haul a few things around every month. Anyway, that's my cheapskate logic -- as long as it runs, drive it, it's paid for!
    Fair enough, I rescind the offer!
    I’ll just keep it, I really love driving it in the summer and it’s a very reliable backup for family when someone has an issue with one of their vehicles!
    But, if someone wants one “[I]Really, really badly[I], let me know!
    Remember, it’s technically my wife’s car so the price went up to meet the mileage!
    It’s a hoot to drive, old, it has some rattles and clanks, headliner is falling down some, locks have recently refused to “switch”, windows are temperamental, AC is toast, coo
    lant system is fine, surprisingly small oil leaks. I should replace the liftback pistons but, I’m getting cheaper about it. OK, I think I should just keep it!
    Now, any one want to buy a bridge? (Brooklyn, Mackinaw, Zilwaukee (including Jimmy Hoffa))
    I think I’ve spent too much time driving the last few days! Time to hit the rack!
    Good night all!
    Timothy F. Lewis

I have exactly the same year model Cherokee Sport with 159k miles. I bought it 10 years ago for $3400. If I sold it for $10001, I'd take a loss vs what I have in it!! New rear end bushings and bearings, shocks all around, radiator, a/c compressor, window motor, door locks (sound familiar?) stereo, headlights ...

But it's now family, so we have to keep it. It's my 17 year old's primary ride. We call it "the Potato." Long story...
    Jim Sims

" Amateurs practice until they get it right - professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."
    "Me?... I don't practice."

iiimandolin#19
    1917 Gibson A-1 Pumpkintop

www.sedentaryramblers.com

31. The following members say thank you to usqebach for this post:

Sounds like some here need to buy a Toyota. I know it's a pacrim import, but it's all solid and great value for money
    Mandolin: Kentucky KM150
    Other instruments: way too many, and yet, not nearly enough.

My blog: https://theoffgridmusician.music.blog/
    My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChF...yWuaTrtB4YORAg
    My Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/africanbanjogunnar/
    Free backing tracks:
    https://backingtrackers.wordpress.com/