Thread: Kluson split-shaft tuners for mandolin

Default Kluson split-shaft tuners for mandolin

I just put a set of Kluson-style split-shaft tuners(NOS from a Mando-Strat) on my electric mandola, and now I wish that they made them for 8 string mandolin. I've seen these tuners for guitar in both 6 in line and three on a side, but I don't think that they were ever made for mandolin. It's too bad that the new Kluson Supreme tuners aren't made with the "Safeti-post".
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5782.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	252.4 KB 
ID:	178215
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

Blog Entries

Default Re: Kluson split-shaft tuners for mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by John Rosett View Post
    I just put a set of Kluson-style split-shaft tuners(NOS from a Mando-Strat) on my electric mandola, and now I wish that they made them for 8 string mandolin. I've seen these tuners for guitar in both 6 in line and three on a side, but I don't think that they were ever made for mandolin. It's too bad that the new Kluson Supreme tuners aren't made with the "Safeti-post".
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5782.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	252.4 KB 
ID:	178215
    Very cool. I loved split shafts on my first Fender guitar, although not necessarily the Kluson gears. Bass guitars have them, but I think they lost some popularity by being fragile in the small guitar size. A good bump against a mic stand could break off a half shaft.

I’ve been tempted to saw and drill my Gotohs but better not to mess with them, I get by as is.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Default Re: Kluson split-shaft tuners for mandolin

You should be able to buy individual tuners to complete a set. Be aware they probably are heavier than the existing tuners which could cause neck dive.