Thread: Best mandolin wall stand, e.g. hook etc?

Default Best mandolin wall stand, e.g. hook etc?

Hi there, I am just trying to find out what is the best wall hanging stand for a mandolin? I have little toddlers that destroy everything in their path, so I really probably need one that fits onto the wall above their head height.

So two questions:

a) which one would you recommend?

b) is it true that it can be bad for the mandolin long-term, to be stored in that way?

Thanks very much!
    CN0

Default Re: Best mandolin wall stand, e.g. hook etc?

The "hang it or not" question has been EXTENSIVELY argued on this forum lol. You might do some searches to see lots of discussion over pros and cons. Here's a recent multi-page discussion.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...highlight=wall

I use String Swings and Hercules wall hangers and like both. Love the Hercules with the closing arms, but it's more expensive.

The main issues for long term storage would be exposure to damage (toddlers throwing toys, or some such fun) and to improper humidity. I have a whole house humidifier and monitor my humidity closely, so humidity isn't a concern to me. I also don't hang any more valuable instruments on outer walls, since the outer wall might be a bit warmer or cooler than the rest of the room and that temperature gradient might not be best for wooden instruments.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

I use the Hercules wall stand ,have about 8 of the buggers .scatClick image for larger version. 

Name:	182A8133-449E-4534-8442-7478C385E83E.jpeg 
Views:	332 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	178212Click image for larger version. 

Name:	182A8133-449E-4534-8442-7478C385E83E.jpeg 
Views:	332 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	178212tered around the house .
    I trust them ,have had them for a long time

OK, I've made up my mind to hang some instruments so I don't need to discuss that part of the question. I've read the threads. But what kind of hardware comes with the Hercules to attach it to the wall? Standard drywall anchors? Molly bolts? Do you try to attach to a stud?

I think it comes with some screws and drywall anchors . Being a carpenter and someone who uses a lot of drywall anchors ...I prefer to use a heavier duty drywall anchor .It is the kind that you drill the hole in the drywall and you screw the anchor into the drywall until flush with the wall .I get them at the lumber yard .If you don't know what Im talking about just say so and Ill go get some out of my truck and take a picture for you

Any of the instrument wall hangers can attach to a stud or not.

I hadn't hung a wall hanger in a while but put up two last month. I had forgotten how smooth and easy String Swing's instructions and process were. I had gathered a stud sensor and the drill and drill bits thinking I'd need to make holes for the supplied anchors if a stud wasn't conveniently located, but the process didn't require drill bits at all. Just put the hanger against the wall where you want it and drive in the two screws. If you hit a stud, you're done. If you don't hit a stud, then back the screws out and set the String Swing to the side. The drywall anchors are made to use the two screw holes as pilot holes, then just smoothly seat themselves in the drywall. Put the String Swing back into position and insert the screws in perfectly aligned anchors. So quick and easy! It's been way too long since I hung my Hercules hanger, so I can't tell you what hardware comes with it.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

I have several of the Hercules hangers and they’re fine. It’s not a problem in the UK (brich and stone built houses) but, as others have said, my only concrn would be how it’s attached to the wall. I’m happy to hang heavy rosewood dreadnaught guitar sfrom mine.

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

If your children are anything like our boys were, even the ceiling isn't safe.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

I had instruments on Hercules wall mounts through a minor earthquake and everything was fine. I like String Swing or Hercules for mandolins.

Smile Re: Best mandolin wall stand, e.g. hook etc?

If your children are anything like our boys were, even the ceiling isn't safe.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I have two electric guitars and an electric bass on hangers I got from Sweetwater. They are mounted into studs. With a heavier instrument I would definitely recommend mounting on a studs with a mandolin it probably isn't crucial but if it is convenient I would prefer it.

I believe my hangers are Hercules, they are whatever Gryphon was using fifteen years ago. Their mounting plates are bent so as to fit into slots that run horizontally. These are made with two boards, one with a rabbit on the wall side. Mine are six feet long and attach to the studs. The hangers go in at an angle then pivot to horizontal. They can be slid along the slot when you need more space.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I'm a String Swing guy.

I went for the functional wall art approach: I ordered two oak kits from String Swing. I finish sanded the wood they sent me, then stained it and put a bunch of thin coats of polyurethane on it. Next I found the studs along the wall using little neodymium magnets from Home Depot (holding an old computer drive magnet in my hand, it dipped whenever I was over a drywall screw and I used the magnets to mark the screw - when I was done I had a line of magnets anchored to the drywall screws all along each of the nine studs behind the wall).

With the String Swing kit, you build it on the wall, starting at the bottom. So for the bottom course I shot 2.5" finish nail into each of the nine studs. I did the same for the other four courses. (5 courses x 9 studs - 45 nails in the studs at that point.) Then I screwed in the two black anodized pieces that the hangers mount into (another 18 anchor points into the studs). Pretty sure it isn't going to pull off the wall...

Here's a pic:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0988.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	441.2 KB 
ID:	178253

String Swing for me, been using it for many years, makes for Great Wall art too.

Is the String Swing hanger just a U shaped device? Here in California I need the gate across the front. Wouldn't trust anything else in a 7.1 earthquake like they had down in the desert.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Is the String Swing hanger just a U shaped device? Here in California I need the gate across the front. Wouldn't trust anything else in a 7.1 earthquake like they had down in the desert.
    String swings are u-shaped but curved upward. Mine also have end caps that you have to lift the mandolin over. I just went over and experimented with mine. I can't imagine a mandolin coming off the hanger unless maybe if the wall collapsed.

If there were major vertical quake action then the Hercules arms could perhaps open up? The mandolin weight keeps the arms closed. Fortunately we haven't had significant quake activity in Missouri yet (though I grew up in the Philippines where earthquakes were common.).
    Doug Brock

I have a couple of hercules that were made specifically for small neck instruments but in the end, to me, they look the same but come with larger foam pieces so the neck is nor secure in the hanger. I like them.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

When I finished my basement I used 2 x 4 framing to create 24" spaces for rigid foam insulation. When I decided to make it my music room, I used spax screws to mount cedar trim boards to the studs. Then I screwed these adjustable hangers to the cedar. The width can accommodate a variety of neck widths from guitars to fiddles. Been in place several years now, no issues at all.

Name:	0220181318.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	489.3 KB 
ID:	178265

Name:	0220181318a.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	430.2 KB 
ID:	178266

years ago my 3 + 5 year old boys conspired to get my mandolin hung up high on the living room wall ..climbed up on some furniture..somehow managed to knock it down...miraculously it got wedged behind a pc of furniture and survived with only a minor abrasion...they got spooked and ran off... i found it later..
    Long story short...you cant trust em....
    mandolins that is..
    Thomas Quinn

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandotool For This Useful Post:

Extremely simple woodworking project, using a pine board and 1/2” dowelling installed at a 10-15o angle. You space the dowels for the specific instruments, and you need to cut the dowels at a fairly generous length, about 4”. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2FFF059E-7615-4A1E-AF38-8CC83E30630E.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	481.3 KB 
ID:	178525(maybe an inch longer in earthquake country!)

Note the little shelf to keep all the capos, slides, and other little gizmos handy and out of reach of youngsters (also out of the sofa).

I hardly play fiddle these days, but have found it better to hang them by the body bouts rather than from the peghead.

Correction: my wall hangers are Hamilton. They are very secure.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I use both String Swing and Hercules brands. I like both. One thing I do with the String Swings I use is make sure the "spread" or "squeeze" of the fork set properly for the instrument hanging in it. It is very easy to adjust. For instruments with narrower necks -- like fiddles -- you almost have to go with String Swings.
    ========================
    2012 Gibson F5 Master Model
    2019 Northfield F5 Artist 5 Bar
    2019 Northfield Arched Octave Maple
    2020 Northfield F5 4.0

With respect to earthquakes - not that common in the UK - Hercules make locking devices to fit the spring loaded arms which, although intended to stop people picking up instuments in shops, would effectively eatrthquake-proof the hangers. http://www.herculesstands.co.uk/p/ags-lock-and-keys