Thread: Tab of Fifths

Default Tab of Fifths

For tab enthusiasts... I'm always looking for patterns for summarizing things and was trying to visualize the mandolin symmetry and the Circle of Fifths when you shift the scale patterns up or down a string and add a new line pattern to change keys. I came up with this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	236A5A9F-A5F2-4967-B551-43DE620BAADB.jpeg 
Views:	303 
Size:	561.1 KB 
ID:	178208

It seems helpful for remembering how to shift the open scale over a I IV V chord pattern quickly and the relationship of the strings to the classic COF - shift it up for the fourth and down for the fifth.

I've not seen anything like this but maybe I'm reinventing the wheel. Maybe it will be helpful to someone else.

2. The following members say thank you to mandokismet for this post:

Default Re: Tab of Fifths

Took me a while to figure the diagram out, but thanks, it’s cool to have a slightly different way of looking at this. I usually think of it from the root notes first and expand the patterns afterwards, whereas here is seems all connected as a large pattern.

Maybe this is a more useful way to view it on the key of G:

Name:	58BA1B58-BEF8-4BDE-A5B8-C9339C1907A0.jpeg 
Views:	166 
Size:	799.8 KB 
ID:	178214

5. The following members say thank you to mandokismet for this post:

circle of fifths is definitely a helpful thing...circle of fifths/clockwise...circle/cycle of fourths counter clockwise

Quote Originally Posted by CBFrench View Post
    circle of fifths is definitely a helpful thing...circle of fifths/clockwise...circle/cycle of fourths counter clockwise
    Both directions are fourths AND fifths. C to G is up a fifth and down a fourth. G to C is up a fourth, down a fifth.

This is how I see that in intervals with what I call the phone number 736-2514 or 415-2637.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12 String Theory 5ths.pdf  

9. The following members say thank you to mmuussiiccaall for this post:

Thanks mmuussiiccaall
    I adjusted the proportioning on your diagram to see the frets further up the neck (hope that’s ok).

To begin with, I like to make sense of the fretboard by looking for the 1 (or 8 you can call it).

Then the box 3,4 and 7,8.

Then I look across the neck and can see that the boxes have reoccurring patterns too, at fifth fret then in the middle then attached to the open fret.

Each box has a 5 attached in the same position.

This bar 4,1,5 is probably next in importance for me. Then the freeway zig zag line of all the 1’s 4’s and 5’s.

Finally (for me so far) is the position of the major third from the 1,8 on the strings above and below, and the position of the 5’s of the 1,8.
    IMPORTANT: these positions of the MAJOR DOUBLESTOPS are always the same as you drive up the freeway of 4,1,5,4,1,5

Major arpeggios up or better down the freeway, which again all have the same shape, are next...

Name:	13CE273F-0B7B-48C5-8126-6E40575D22A2.jpeg 
Views:	141 
Size:	554.5 KB 
ID:	178274
    Last edited by Simon DS; Jul-15-2019 at 1:27am.

11. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

When I began playing 60 years ago I found finger patterns that seemed to magically blend in to the songs I was playing. I had no idea why they worked, I just used them. Eventually when I later began teaching music my students would ask why they should put their fingers in those shapes and that's when my musical theory journey began. Now when I start a new song I know the key, mode, chord progression and accidentals. Armed with this information the 12 possible intervals in an octave can be punched in to create tension and resolution that keeps making of music interesting for a lifetime.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mmuussiiccaall For This Useful Post: