Thread: Source for Custom hand-braided mandolin straps

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Default Source for Custom hand-braided mandolin straps

Many months ago, there was a discussion about high-end decorative mandolin straps made in the style of braided leather tack, beautifully hand made stuff. One café member at that time was personally making some of those straps but more recently has let it be known that he is no longer doing so.

By chance, I stumbled across a small business who makes various examples of hand-braided leather products and has made some custom designed mandolin straps, and one was recently placed in our mandolin accessories classifieds.

I was able to purchase one of these straps and wanted to report that it was very well made, beautiful and satisfied me greatly.
    A change in the length of the strap was necessary for my uses and the folks at Davie Leather and Braid worked with me to modify the length and optimize the strap for me. They were easy to work with, pleasant, and went above the level of duty to make me happy with my purchase.
    If anyone is interested is such products, I can recommend these folks highly based on my personal experience.

Here are a couple of pictures of samples, but they are willing to customize and will give you an estimate for what you want. I have NFI, just happy with the opportunity to acquire stuff like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roostrap3.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	178163   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	custom mando strap.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	178164  
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Default Re: Source for Custom hand-braided mandolin straps

Nice! How much?
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Default Re: Source for Custom hand-braided mandolin straps

Depends on your custom design. About $15 per woven knot plus the strap which will be about $75-100 depending on material (roo vs other) and which style braid. So roughly from about $120 to twice that or more if you're extravagant in your design.

(The one on the right above would be $265 in roo)
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

4. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post: