Thread: IV "In the White" F5 model

Default IV "In the White" F5 model

Hey all, there are boatloads of posts about IV kits. IV kits vs Saga kits. IV kits vs Stewmac kits...etc etc but there doesn't seem to be a ton of information on whether any 'newbie builders' have tried out this "in the white" F5 from IV to see if you could make a playable instrument out of it (or at least an instrument that doesn't sound like a bag full of #####).

https://www.internationalviolin.com/...5-model-wflame

Any one out there try it out? I imagine it would be somewhat similar to the F5 kit. Though I suppose it may also be a question of ethics given the price different between this is the kit and the labor involved.

Blog Entries

Default Re: IV "In the White" F5 model

Well, you don't get to finish the top and back graduations. This is really a kit ready for the big second half which is finishing the instrument. I've not built one (nor have the desire to). It's interesting the cost is essentially the same as the F5 Kit that is unassembled. I guess if the neck angle is good you can make a playable instrument out of this just fine.

I don't know if I feel like I could say I built a mandolin with the in the white kit. I could certainly say I finished it!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    Well, you don't get to finish the top and back graduations. This is really a kit ready for the big second half which is finishing the instrument. I've not built one (nor have the desire to). It's interesting the cost is essentially the same as the F5 Kit that is unassembled. I guess if the neck angle is good you can make a playable instrument out of this just fine.

I don't know if I feel like I could say I built a mandolin with the in the white kit. I could certainly say I finished it!

Jamie
    All true...and notice how I never mentioned the word "build" in my initial post. Just curious about it all and how it compares to something else. I imagine the plates are basically what you get (and would finish graduating) as I am sure that the factory is not hand graduating the top and back on something like this. Just wondering if it comes as something thats comparable to a Rogue or something like that...gross.

It's all solid wood so it's ahead of the Rogue, closer I would imagine to a solid Rover F style mandolin.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

5. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Blog Entries

I'm with Mike on that. Finishing is as important as how the plates are graduated and put together. That's a totally different skill set to learn and challenge yourself with.

For $340 it could be a fun project, if you're into it. If you go with hand rubbing and applying stains and finish you can keep the cost down. If the instrument only sounds OK, its a great campfire instrument or one to give to a budding new player. You'll still also learn the invaluable skills of set up and adjusting the action. There's still a lot to do here.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

7. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Thanks all for this input. Its what I love so much about the Mandolin Cafe community, no judgements and everyone just being so helpful!