Thread: Loosening strings

Default Loosening strings

I have several instruments that sometimes spend months in their cases not being played. I have been told by many (for years) that I should loosen the strings to avoid neck problems. Problem is if I loosen then tighten strings they break easily. My go to mandolin has been up to tension for years, except for the occasional string change. If it is not having any neck problems then why would an instrument up to tension and in it's case have neck bowing issues?
    Help...Any thoughts or advice.......

Default Re: Loosening strings

Yes, you should be able to leave your instrument under string tension at all times with confidence. Problems can arise if an instrument is subjected to extremes of humidity while under tension, so you should avoid these. If you wish, though, you can lightly loosen (detune) the strings, but not the point where they go slack -- out of an abundance of caution. Strings that are detuned by several steps are much less likely to break when brought up to pitch.

If there are no issues with the instrument, there is no problem leaving it tuned.

Should an issue occur and the instrument is under full tensions for months, it could make things much worse. <-- This is the reason to detune them.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

4. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Blog Entries

I think long term, if the instruments are properly in cases and stowed safely, and not subject to bumps and grinds or changes in air pressure, it is better to leave the strings at full tension. And even to take them all out and tune them up every three or four months.

You wood guys would know best, but I believe the wood relaxes and dries and otherwise accommodates to the tensions it is under. And it kind of "settles in" after a long time, and "gets used to" being however it has been left. Not good if that is too far from what tensions it is to be played under.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....