Thread: Mandolin orange tab search?

Default Mandolin orange tab search?

I’m having a peculiar problem trying to find tablature for Mandolin Orange songs. It seems that search algorithms recognize the word “mandolin” as part of the name of the band and not as the kind of tab I’m looking for. If I type in “Mandolin Orange mandolin tab” I get only chord/lyric charts. It seems as if the band’s name has neutralized Googles’s AI and made it near impossible to find mandolin tab!

I’d appreciate any links to MO mandolin tab—or any guidance about how to search for this myself. I love Andrew’s playing style and I want to get a sense of how he plays.

Default Re: Mandolin orange tab search?

Try putting quotes around the phrase "mandolin orange." That forces Google to search for those two words in that exact order. I found several tab sites for them using that method.

Quote Originally Posted by bcmd View Post
    Try putting quotes around the phrase "mandolin orange." That forces Google to search for those two words in that exact order. I found several tab sites for them using that method.
    I tried that and do get tabs but they just seem to be guitar tabs. Did you find mandolin tabs?
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

4. The following members say thank you to Doug Brock for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by bcmd View Post
    Mandolin tab? OP wants mandolin tab. I can't find any - just testing this out, I found a few guitar tab pages, and plenty of lyrics/chordname pages, but no mandolin tab, despite trying various combinations of search strings and search operators to include and exclude various words and phrases. I even tried searching using the mandolin player's name instead of the band's name, still didn't find any mandolin tab. Or mandolin standard notation either, for that matter.

If there isn't any written stuff available, one would have to dig into half-speed analysis of YouTube videos etc. (That's what I would do anyway, if I were interested in deciphering a particular musician's picking - assuming I was already familiar with the genre and that the instrument was clearly audible in recordings and not drowned out by the other instruments.) But learning by ear from half-speed stuff is an acquired skill and can be discouraging unless one has been at it for a while.

Ok so I just listened to parts of one of the Mandolin Orange live concert videos (I hadn't heard any of their stuff before), I skipped around through the video and it seemed to be all songs (not instrumental dance-music fiddle-tunes or something), the mandolin didn't play constantly throughout like you'd do in oldtime or Irish trad etc, so with the songs thing it might be easier to get a bead on (decipher and transcribe) what notes he's playing during those mandolin 'solo' parts... but I personally wouldn't be of much help with such a project because it's a different genre than what I'm used to and I would have to resort to a lot of guessing which wouldn't be very accurate.

It would be a fun project to do, very educational, and definitely mandolin-friendly, but unfortunately copyright infringing.
    It might be unfair to get MandolinCafe to take the risk.
    By the way the French would call such a group, ‘The Friends Of Mandolin Orange Social Group’

Thanks for the responses. I just tried the YouTube slowdown idea, and I was able to find the song I needed (Wildfire) right away. I haven't tried to reconstruct the mandolin parts yet, but it looks promising.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jersey Jack For This Useful Post:

I've been using the Amazing Slowdowner for this purpose, and it works great.

Andrew doesn't impress me as a 'write-down-the-details' kind of guy, so I would not expect to find any "official" tabs. And the subtle complexity of his playing would not be easy to capture in notation.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Winn For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I too have been finding Chords and Lyrics for many of their songs, but the mandolin instrumentals aren't to be found. I personally am interested in singing and accompaniment of these songs and attempting my own mandolin lead patterns, so the lyrics and chords are what I need. Their songs are amazing! I hope you are able to discover what you are seeking.

If it were "out there" it would have been found.
    Eastman MD305 mandolin
    Epiphone Special ll electric
    Jay Jr. Dreadnought, cutaway, electric/accoustic

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Jack View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I just tried the YouTube slowdown idea, and I was able to find the song I needed (Wildfire) right away. I haven't tried to reconstruct the mandolin parts yet, but it looks promising.
    @jersyjack can you let me/us know when and where we can get this instruction when it's ready? pls
    Eastman MD305 mandolin
    Epiphone Special ll electric
    Jay Jr. Dreadnought, cutaway, electric/accoustic