Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: eBay sales tax

Blog Entries

Default Re: eBay sales tax

Yep all true, I recently made a hefty purchase about two weeks ago from Elderly-Michigan and I live in Pennsylvania, I had to pay sales tax on my buy, over 3G in tax! Can I right that off-LoL! I wasn't impressed as never heard of that before and the guys at Elderly said its across the board now and all states will be doing this! Nuts for sure on a vintage instrument I personally think but hey every time one buys and sells an old/new car its the same-tax on what the blue book value is even if the car is gifted!

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    even if the car is gifted!
    Don't give them any ideas...

I think the next time I want to buy a mandolin. I will just have to take a road trip to a store like the mandolin store, & just pay all cash in small bills.

Quote Originally Posted by mandolin tony View Post
    I think the next time I want to buy a mandolin. I will just have to take a road trip to a store like the mandolin store, & just pay all cash in small bills.
    Arizona has a sales tax. You need to go to Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, or Oregon. Then you won't be charged the tax up front.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

It’s sad, because there are so few stores in New Hampshire that sell mandolins, especially high end stores. In fact, I believe only Northern Lights in Littleton sustains any kind of inventory, and it is mostly guitars.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by mandolinstew View Post
    Why is ebay charging sales tax on out of state purchases?You can go to reverb and make the same purchase from the same seller and no sales tax.Ebay claims they are collecting on behalf of the seller.I contacted the seller and they do not collect sales tax and eBay is not notifying the seller of any sales tax.
    I noticed that also just recently. It also appears Musician's Friend is doing that also in certain states. <Redacted for political content out of bounds of the posting guidelines.>
    Last edited by JEStanek; Sep-14-2019 at 7:30pm. Reason: Posting Guidelines - Politics

Blog Entries

Do you pay tax on Amazon purchases? It is just a matter of time before the whole internet commerce gets organized. It has nothing to do with politics. (Or do you want a flaming war about greedy Republicans vs Tax and Spend Democrats?) That is not allowed on this discussion board...back to mandolin topics everyone.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

By law if you get something from out of state and don't pay sales tax you are supposed to pay use tax (which is the same) and submit it with your tax return. Few people do it and it has not been enforced in the past. This is just enforcing existing laws that have been on the books for decades.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    By law if you get something from out of state and don't pay sales tax you are supposed to pay use tax (which is the same) and submit it with your tax return. Few people do it and it has not been enforced in the past. This is just enforcing existing laws that have been on the books for decades.
    It's a result of a 2018 Supreme Court ruling (S Dakota vs Wayfair) overturning the original 1992 decision which said that stores had to have a physical presence in the state for it to be mandatory that the retailer collect tax on online purchases. Now the state gets to decide if they are going to require the retailer to collect it or not.

Blog Entries

It's a rant.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3ad.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	179850
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

11. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

DougC 

Blog Entries

Lets tread carefully folks. I have the keys ready for this one.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

13. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Blog Entries

Reverb is doing the tax thing as well as a friend recently bought an old pedal steel and had to pay sales tax?

Blog Entries

From E-Bay.
    Why.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

16. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Blog Entries

If I understand that notice from EBay customers from Pennsylvania, Washington and Oklahoma have to pay tax and EBay will do the collections. That's a total 'flip' from requiring SELLERS to collect tax, based on where they are located. Is this correct?
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    It's a result of a 2018 Supreme Court ruling (S Dakota vs Wayfair) overturning the original 1992 decision which said that stores had to have a physical presence in the state for it to be mandatory that the retailer collect tax on online purchases. Now the state gets to decide if they are going to require the retailer to collect it or not.
    The new law may decide who should collect sales tax. I am talking about USE tax. If you don't pay sales tax you are supposed to pay use tax, which is at the same rate. You send it in at the end of the year with your income tax and calculate for all purchases you didn't play sales tax. Just that most folks don't even know about it, and don't do it. It also wasn't enforced.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

19. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

DougC 

Eventually will happen !

I agree with you William but we know where and from whom these taxes are coming. I just can not say it on this forum or my post will be redacted like the last one.

I work for a state taxing agency, so I will be careful about what I say and how I say it here. I AM NOT speaking as a representative of my employer here. Always check with your state or local taxing agency if you have a question or concern.

I decided to delete the rest of the comment as it probably isn't a good idea for me to be publicly commenting on this subject.
    Last edited by Scott Rucker; Sep-23-2019 at 12:13pm.

Recently Reverb sent me an updated list of states that will now charge buyers sales tax on purchases and Reverb will be collecting it for them.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Quote Originally Posted by willkamm View Post
    Recently Reverb sent me an updated list of states that will now charge buyers sales tax on purchases and Reverb will be collecting it for them.
    That's nice. What are they?
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    That's nice. What are they?
    Alabama, Arizona, Connecticut, Iowa, Kentucky, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Washington DC, West Virginia, and Wyoming. That was as of March 8th 2019. They just added a few more. Can't find that info but when I do I'll update this. Found it. Add in Arkansas, New Mexico, Rhode Island, and Indiana. Ohio will soon be added. Anytime you want to find an updated list, I believe you can Google, "Marketplace Facilitator States."
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

26. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by willkamm View Post
    Anytime you want to find an updated list, I believe you can Google, "Marketplace Facilitator States."
    Now that's funny. "Marketplace Facilitator States"? Talk about spin. Sounds like they are doing something to help the marketplace.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    Now that's funny. "Marketplace Facilitator States"? Talk about spin. Sounds like they are doing something to help the marketplace.
    Correct. That's how they list themselves. It is funny, I guess until someone pays the tax.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Back in 2016 I was buying a pretty expensive mandolin in Nashville. They had a sales tax there on the North side of 10% IIRC. We settled on a price. We we're leaving the next morning. The following day we drove to Virginia and stayed the night outside of Blacksburg. I called, spoke with the same salesperson and the mandolin was still there and he said he'd stick by the agreed price. There was no sales tax involved as I wasn't in the store. Because I purchased it over the phone I likely save around $700.00 in sales tax. It did cost $50.00 to ship.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Living in Maryland I'm kind of glad they only charge tax on items purchased where the seller has a brick and mortar presence in the state.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)