Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: eBay sales tax

Default Re: eBay sales tax

As I have been reading this stuff, the way I see it. You must be a buyer and have a mailing address in one of these states. Other than that, I don't know that I would have to pay the sales tax unless the seller had a brick and mortar presence in my state.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Most of these companies have to start charging sales tax on certain transactions because of the Supreme Court's ruling in the WayFair Nexus case.

"On June 21, 2018, the US Supreme Court decided what is arguably the most important state tax case of the last 25 years in Wayfair et. al.1 In a 5–4 split decision, the majority overruled the brightest of state tax bright-line rules in overturning the sales/use tax nexus standard of physical presence previously established in National Bellas Hess (1967) and later upheld in Quill (1992)."

There's a lot to break down in this, but basically it invalidates the old out-of-state rules and requires companies to charge sales tax for where the products are being delivered. Obviously, it's much more complicated than that, but that's the gist. Look up South Dakota v. Wayfair if you want more info. I assure you, it's a boring read.
    "Forget learning the ukulele, give me a mandolin any day of the week!" - Steve Goodman

Well I read all of this, perhaps a bit off topic, but my question now, Are we supposed to pay sales tax on mandolins we buy here on the cafe from Individual sellers ?

Moderator Edit: Suspicious post deleted. Please contact Administrator.
    Last edited by Ted Eschliman; Jan-11-2021 at 10:33pm. Reason: Possible spam.