Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Round core mandolin strings?

Default Re: Round core mandolin strings?

GHS uses both hex and round core. They also wind large winding's on a small core and small winding's on a large core for differences in feel and sound. They also make an oval winding, flat winding, ground round wound, so it is semi flat. It is not as simple as round core, hex core, not only the size of the winding, but the composition of the material wound on the core makes a huge difference in sound and feel (tension). How hard or soft the winding is contributes to the overall feel and sound, along with the core size and diameter/shape of the winding.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

I know that some violin strings have rosin dust or some other dampening material, in with the core strands.

Also many wound strings have a number of core strands, not just one.

Personally, I think that the result is what counts, and round vs hex is just one way to consider your choice.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    I know that some violin strings have rosin dust or some other dampening material, in with the core strands.
    Also many wound strings have a number of core strands, not just one.
    Personally, I think that the result is what counts, and round vs hex is just one way to consider your choice.
    Well, violin strings are held at much lower tension, and they are quite different from mandolin strings! I am not aware of any mandolin strings that have multiple core strands, nor any that contain powdered materials for damping.

Most wound mandolin strings consist of a simple metal winding (either flat or round cross-section) around a single steel core (hex or round cross-section). The exception would be so-called "silk and steel" strings. These have a single, solid core of steel that's first wrapped in some thin fibers of nylon ('silk') before being wound. Due to the lighter core wrapping, they have a lower mass-per-unit-length for a given diameter, so they're used at slightly lower tension than conventional, metal-only strings. The silk wrapping also provides additional damping. Pops1 is correct to point out that the many available variations of the winding shape (flat, round, oval, ground down), winding material (several different formulations of bronze, plus nickel or silver plating, monel, steel, plated copper, etc.), and the relative core/winding diameters can make for many, many different possibilities in both tension and tone. Other details can factor in, too, such as the winding tension, and how the loop ends are made. DougC is right to point out that the overall result is what counts, not some single detail, such as whether the core is round or hex. And the overall result will depend -- a lot! -- on the mandolin that's being strung. You just have to experiment. This is probably why there are so many variations in string composition available. If a single type of winding (or core) always tended to sound the best, the market would have converged on that type. Obviously, it hasn't! Vive la difference.
    Last edited by sblock; Aug-12-2019 at 11:41am.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Just to add one more option, Mapes advertises strings with an OCTAGONAL core also. I suppose this gives an effect somewhere between round core and hex core.

I tried them a year or so ago and didn't hear much difference, just had a higher price.

Addendum: I can't seem to find octagonals now. Maybe they have been discontinued.
    Last edited by Phil Goodson; Aug-12-2019 at 3:10pm. Reason: new info
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    There is round core and hex core the TI I mentioned are round core.
    And the wound strings are wrapped with flat wire, so flat wound on a round core. TI has some guitar string with round core and flat or round wound but the core is round. I do not believe they make round wound string for mandolin, that is round wire wrapped around a round core but the do make flat wound. D’Addario makes a lot
    Of strings but I wouldn’t call them the best, it is far to subjective to give them that title. I would nominate TI for that and again far to subjective. Both have very good quality and Customer Support.

To muddy things up a bit more there is also a half round wound. I don’t know who makes those.
    The OP never said ANYTHING about flatwound strings. He asked about the steel core. There are many strings out there that use a round core, regardless of the type of winding. Read the post people.

Quote Originally Posted by jmagill View Post
    Anybody know of a brand that makes round core mandolin strings?
    Madobassman, lovely reply to my post. I quoted the OP’s post and gave more info then he asked for but he didn’t narrow down the response he wanted and I did provide an option and some info I had, what’s your beef anyway? Never mind that’s a rhetorical question I’ve been baited enough.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.