Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your First Upgrade

San Francisco, CA now, Co. Mayo later....

Default Re: Your First Upgrade

My first significant upgrade was from a Weber Aspen II to a Pomeroy A4, then took a shine to a Weber Custom Gallatin F which was probably a sideways or lower move from the Pomeroy, but it was an F blah blah blah so I did it. Put a lot of miles on that Gallatin, so it worked out.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 Ome Juniper 19 fret open back tenor banjo
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel
    Blog: rural.trad.punk

My first was an Aria A in about 1974 or '75. Fell in love with mandolin at a bluegrass festival in Cato, New York and had to have one. Kept it for a while, but couldn't make any headway on it, so off it went and I focused on guitar. Fast forward 20 years and I tried again with a Washburn A. It was impossible to play, and it went away. A few years later I tried again, this time with a Loar 520 that came new from the Mandolin Store, was appropriately set up and could be played in tune. Add in the resources found on YouTube and this time the instrument "stuck." I've been happily playing away ever since. The upgrades included a few old Gibson As, a Ratliff A, a Collings MT, a Collings MT-O, and the current lineup includes a Northfield Big Mon, a Collings MF and a Gibson A1. Each is set up properly, has a voice different from the others, and allows me to play without finger or wrist exhaustion. They are each a joy to play.
    One watch by night, one watch by day...if you get confused, just listen to the music play.

My first mandolin was a Savanna what junk. Only took 3 weeks before I bought My Washburn A.
    Big difference and a whole lot better playability which I have had for a couple years. I just placed
    a deposit on a Club Jazz Apitius. I cant wait is my ability up to the quality, No.... but I don't care.

4. The following members say thank you to spudpicker for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by spudpicker View Post
    My first mandolin was a Savanna what junk. Only took 3 weeks before I bought My Washburn A.
    Big difference and a whole lot better playability which I have had for a couple years. I just placed
    a deposit on a Club Jazz Apitius. I cant wait is my ability up to the quality, No.... but I don't care.
    what a beautiful instrument