Thread: Does it look like a good entry-level mandolin [new player here]

Default Does it look like a good entry-level mandolin [new player here]

Hey there folks!

As an experienced guitar and ukulele player, I wanted to learn a new instrument. The mandolin has always caught my interest and this week, a well established music store in Quebec City (Canada) has a very good deal on a used Alabama ALM30S.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alabama-ALM30S-Acclaim-thumb.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	5.3 KB 
ID:	178096

Details:
    Top: Solid Spruce
    Back & Sides: Solid Mahogany;
    Neck: Mahogany
    Fingerboard: Ebony
    Bridge: Ebony
    Hardware: nickel
    Finish: Natural matte

Retail price for a brand new Alabama ALM30S is 400$ CAD+ taxes and the store is selling a slightly used one for... 280$ CAD + taxes. Sounds good to me, but I really cannot tell from specs as a newbie if it's a good instrument. Nevertheless, I've heard that 400$ for a A framed mando will land a solid entry-level guitar.

Any hints? Is it worth it? Can anybody tell me if it looks like a good instrument?

Thank you very much

Default Re: Does it look like a good entry-level mandolin [new player her

"Alabama" is an Asian-made brand sold in Canada. If this listing is correct, it's all solid woods, spruce top and mahogany back and sides, heat-pressed and not carved ("carved" is better, but many student-grade instruments are heat-pressed to create the curvature of top and back). Better mandolins generally have maple rather than mahogany for back and sides, but solid mahogany's acceptable for sure.

So, for the price, a decent beginner instrument. The most crucial variable for you is to have it properly set up; if the dealer is experienced in mandolin set-ups and includes a dealer set-up in the price, that's good. If you have to pay extra for a set-up (bridge height and location, nut slotting, bridge fit, possible truss rod adjustment, new strings, etc.), or learn to do it yourself, that's not quite as good.

Nothing in what you describe to warn you away from this mandolin. You are correct that mandolins are more expensive than their "equivalent" guitars, mainly due to economies of scale, and the somewhat higher requirements for hand-work associated with mandolins. This Alabama seems to be within the price parameters of entry-level, acceptable-quality mandolins.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    "Alabama" is an Asian-made brand sold in Canada. If this listing is correct, it's all solid woods, spruce top and mahogany back and sides, heat-pressed and not carved ("carved" is better, but many student-grade instruments are heat-pressed to create the curvature of top and back). Better mandolins generally have maple rather than mahogany for back and sides, but solid mahogany's acceptable for sure.

So, for the price, a decent beginner instrument. The most crucial variable for you is to have it properly set up; if the dealer is experienced in mandolin set-ups and includes a dealer set-up in the price, that's good. If you have to pay extra for a set-up (bridge height and location, nut slotting, bridge fit, possible truss rod adjustment, new strings, etc.), or learn to do it yourself, that's not quite as good.

Nothing in what you describe to warn you away from this mandolin. You are correct that mandolins are more expensive than their "equivalent" guitars, mainly due to economies of scale, and the somewhat higher requirements for hand-work associated with mandolins. This Alabama seems to be within the price parameters of entry-level, acceptable-quality mandolins.
    OK!

I have to thank you for your very detail and well advised answer. This is exactly what I was looking for. Today, after browsing a bit, I also found a used Dean BGF F-style mandolin that's for sale for 300$. It needs a tune-up for strings height though. However, it's maple for back and sides, which would be better according to your insight. Actual image:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	65539392_1520729724735632_662672874921787392_n.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	178118

Here are the specs:

Spruce top
    Maple back and sides
    Maple neck with extended rosewood fingerboard
    13-3/4" scale
    1-7/32" nut width
    29 frets
    Gold hardware
    Mother-of-pearl binding
    Vintage sunburst finish

Better idea? It's either this one or the Alabama

Thanks again.

4. The following members say thank you to alpha8768 for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alpha8768 View Post
    Spruce top
    Maple back and sides
    If it doesn’t specify “solid” spruce or maple, it’s probably laminate, and given that we’re discussing a $300 f-style, it’s almost certain.

Quote Originally Posted by alpha8768 View Post
    Better idea? It's either this one or the Alabama
    Presented with that dichotomy, I’d choose the Alabama, but for that budget, I would think that an Eastman or Kentucky would be preferable.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I recognize both of these mandolins. The A style there is the same as the old Morgan Monroe MA-1. It will be a better instrument than the Dean F-style.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

As noted by others, the Dean F style is a laminate (i.e., plywood) instrument. The A model is solid wood and will have much better sound, even though the Dean may look splashier. The only $300 F Style I have seen advertised with a solid carved top (laminate back and sides) is the Loar LM 310F, which would be a much better instrument if you must have an F style. The Alabama would likely be a better choice as Robert says.

As many have pointed out on this site, by and large, your dollar goes much further in A styles (in terms of sound and quality) than on F styles. That scroll looks good but contributes nothing to the sound or playability.

Concur with the last three posts. Specs that say "spruce top" or "select spruce top" = plywood, as opposed to "solid spruce top." Solid wood's significantly better.

Don't get sidetracked by the acoustically irrelevant scroll and body points on an F-model mandolin, if the basic construction's inferior to the less flashy A-model. Your first choice was your better choice, IMHO.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

You guys are awesome. Off we go with the Alabama!

Thank you so much for your replies