Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remove Frets & Scoop

Default Re: Remove Frets & Scoop

On my 305 there is absolutely no musical tones coming from the last six frets, nothing but a muted thump after fret 17. I'm a beginner at mandolin but not stringed instruments, so thinking it's not me but the instrument

Quote Originally Posted by CBFrench View Post
    On my 305 there is absolutely no musical tones coming from the last six frets, nothing but a muted thump after fret 17. I'm a beginner at mandolin but not stringed instruments, so thinking it's not me but the instrument
    Could be some setup if you really want those frets. You still might not get the dulcet tones but they may sound like something. Another consideration is resale. If you scoop or chop it off you may get even less on resale. Not so crucial since it is a lower end instrument bought used, but you will lose some resale value. On the other hand if you have your heart set on doing it, then chop or scoop away.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

tks, it was just a thought in being able to pick up the neck more cleanly for the tone at times, no biggie and I don't ever get that high even on guitar. I'm sure I'll leave it as it is.

My left hand never goes above the 19th fret. My right hand usually goes around West Palm Beach, where the sweet spot of my mandolin lies. I was a mandoclicker.

Last year, I finally decided to get the Florida scooped, so I took it down to Gryphon for the operation. The guy in the service department was a newbie and clearly a guitar-only guy, so he had no idea what I was talking about or how much it would cost. Finally, he called Frank over. Frank asked me how bad the click was, because if I wasn’t totally digging in, a $45 quintuple fretectomy would take care of the problem. If it didn’t, I could bring the mando back for the $250 excavation.

I took the gamble and won. The click is gone, and I have yet to reach for a fret that is no longer there.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

I do not recall Jethro having played any mandolins that were emasculated.

6. The following members say thank you to Jeff Hildreth for this post: