Thread: eq pedal with boost

Default eq pedal with boost

the new mando has passive pickup and the A8 had active. so that was fine with the fiddle. BUT now the passive pickup does not have enough gain, I am using an A B pedal for one input into my amp .
    so what is a good eq, that can use outside power , do not want battery only , that will give me the clean boost I need to compete with the fiddle.
    I had a tube boost for a mic that I am using ( have a gig sat nite) it fills the bill kind of , but too big , would like something more compact. thanks kevin

Default Re: eq pedal with boost

I would look at a strict clean boost, like the Fire Eye Bright Eye, or if you need a DI, the Red Eye preamp pedal. Small format, plenty of boost, done.

I bought one of these https://www.sourceaudio.net/programmable-eq.html works OK but the main advantage is that it has lots of buttons and flashy LEDs!

I use the Alix pedal by Grace Designs - pricey but solid, high quality eq, effects loop, very good boost

https://gracedesign.com/products/ins...plifiers/alix/
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

thanks looks like a lot choose from!!

The passive pickup will not match impedance without a preamp. 1 meg input is preferred as it matches the pickup. I, like several here like the RedEye. It has boost, great sound, and simple to use.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

7. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    1 meg input is preferred as it matches the pickup.
    Which the “Souceaudio” has if you check the spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Which the “Souceaudio” has if you check the spec.
    Many do, the Baggs is 10 Meg. Not sure what some others are, K&K is also 1 Meg. I am sure there are many more too.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

I like the Baggs Venue DI a lot. Definitely meets all your needs, but might be bigger than you want.

To shed some light on some sound tech myths:

Impendance matching:
    Means that the sink of a signal (e.g. preamp input) has the same impedance as the source (e.g. the PU).
    With matched impedance you can get the maximum energy out of the signal source, which was very important in the early days of electronics. We don't need it any more (at least for our application).
    But certain types of signal sources need a minimum of load, which is the preamp's input impedance. Otherwise the frequency response of those sources is impaired. E.g. piezo PU likes to see at least 1 Mega Ohm (1 million Ohms). So having a 10 MOhm input is O.K. A magnetic PU likes to see several hundretthousands Ohms (500 kOhm). So plugging in a piezo PU into a electric guitar amplifier is not a wise thing to do.
    (Edit: the term impedance matching now is often used for 'having a suitable input impedance for the given source' - instead of 'having the same impedance as the source'. In this new meaning: yes of course we need impedance matching.)

By the way a preamp for piezo PUs must also have high headroom. It must be able to handle high output voltages coming from the piezo - without distorting the signal.

Long cable reduce treble frequency:
    Yes and no.
    If you have a piezo or magnetic PU a long cable definitely eats high frequencies: each cable also is a capacitor. If you also consider the source and sink impedance you get an RC circuit which acts as a low pass (high cut) filter. The longer the cable the higher the capacity the lower the the frequencies that will be attenuated.
    You do not see the same problem with mic cables (those with XLR connectors) for two reasons: the impedance is much lower: a mic should have a source impedance of less than 200 Ohms (the lower the better in this case) and likes to see a preamp impedance in the range of some kOhm (Kilo Ohm=1000 Ohm). And second: the signal is transported as current over a current loop, it is a symmetric signal. So several hundret feet is not a problem for such a signal.
    This is where the DI box enters the scene: it converts a high impedance voltage driven input signal to a low impedance, symmetric circuit which supports long cable runs. Of course as already stated in previous posts you need the right DI box for the applications. For a piezo PU you need a DI with more than 1 Mega Ohms impedance. Features like notch filters are also nice to have.
    Edit: the cable from the PU to the DI box should be short for optimal performance. The cable from the DI to the mixing desk or PA can be long.
    Last edited by Toni Schula; Jul-09-2019 at 8:41am. Reason: Removed the quote of the post to which I answered. By ni means I want to imply any misunderstanding of the poster.

12. The following members say thank you to Toni Schula for this post:

Astro 

thanks for the detailed info,

I ended up switching the fishman for the kremona, the drop in volume was significant. So I am guessing that the fishman pu was matched with the fishman amp. which makes sense.
    I tried the red eye , did not solve the problem with the fishman pickup the difference was that great. but when I changed to the kremona that brought them close enough to work fine. thanks for the input. kevin