Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Any arguments AGAINST MAS?

Default Re: Any arguments AGAINST MAS?

I don't see how this discussion could ever come to a satisfactory resolution, because it really doesn't matter. If you are into acquiring; acquire. If you are into instrumental monogamy; don't acquire. What one type of player or another does really has no bearing. Just do what is right for you. Nobody dies either way.

That said, this is not the first time we have hashed it out and I am certain it won't be the last. That doesn't matter either. Just be yourself, and enjoy your Cafe pals and your playing.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

2. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Whenever I want to buy and play an expensive mandolin, I think about how much I would miss playing my beat-up Eastman 305. A lot. This has kept me away from > $1k mandolins for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    I'm somewhat of a modest-instrument collector, so I can't say anything substantive against MAS or GAS or BAS or dbAS or whatever AS a person wants to enjoy.

But, instrument Acquisition Syndrome is a game that the majority of full-time musicians can't play because it costs too much and takes too much energy. Most full-time musicians feel lucky to have a quality main-playing instrument and extremely lucky if they have a relatively nice backup instrument. If they play multiple instruments they feel very lucky to have one of each. They also feel extremely lucky if they pay a mortgage instead of a rent. Most also don't have a retirement fund, many don't have health insurance or any kind of reserve in the bank...

The majority of full-time musicians most often schlep their own equipment and very often they have to provide, setup and manage their own sound equipment. Even the very best of these full-time musicians frequently teach music and/or repair instruments because there aren't enough paying gigs to just play full-time. They often feel lucky to get gigs in the raunchiest bars and also lucky to finish a gig without getting drinks thrown at them, and also lucky to get paid what they were promised. And for most, the vehicles that they drive around to get to these gigs were on their last legs 5 years ago.

For the most part, it's the part-time musicians (aka hobbyists) who didn't quit their day job (and some who have comfortably retired from their day job) who have the money and energy to enjoy the Acquisition Syndromes. This is also the group of people who keep music alive through their willingness and ability to spend money and energy on music in the form of festivals and similar events, live shows, recordings, buying instruments, taking lessons and doing everything else that serious part-time music lovers do.
    What he said +++, basicly what I didn't say correctly when I said the best musicians don't obsess. Isn't within the realm of reality.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

5. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SOMorris View Post
    Thanks for the post, Jamie. Sometimes I think we believe is we just have a better instrument, we can magically be a better player.
    It might be a fantasy fleeting thought, but I don't think anyone really thinks this.

I think it is just much easier to get a better mandolin than it is to get better on the mandolin.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    I don't see how this discussion could ever come to a satisfactory resolution, because it really doesn't matter. If you are into acquiring; acquire. If you are into instrumental monogamy; don't acquire. What one type of player or another does really has no bearing. Just do what is right for you.
    I think that you have identified the only satisfactory resolution. Yes, there are arguments against MAS for oneself. No, there are no arguments against MAS for someone else.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

I realized after multiple posts, I didn't answer the question.

NO.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

11. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    It might be a fantasy fleeting thought, but I don't think anyone really thinks this.

I think it is just much easier to get a better mandolin than it is to get better on the mandolin.
    and I submit that no one could say it any better!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Just cannot do catch and release ? then they add up in a collection , even after you have favorites,

And some others remain un played for years ...
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post

I agree with this, but now that I have excellent mandolins I have no excuse NOT to work on getting better on the mandolin!