Thread: The Bluegrass Store - Columbus OH

Default The Bluegrass Store - Columbus OH

Just wanted to give these guys a shout. I was in Columbus OH for a few days and found this store. Wonderful people running it with lots of Bluegrass knowledge, lots of great music books, and a good amount of instruments for a small shop (including some tenor banjos).

1370 S High St, Columbus, OH 43207
    https://www.instrumentshopcolumbusoh.com/

They also have a weekly jam there but I wasn't able to attend unfortunately.

I would recommend to anyone in the area.
    Last edited by mbruno; Jul-03-2019 at 5:27pm. Reason: added website
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbruno For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The Bluegrass Store - Columbus OH

Their jam goes on for most of Saturday, the folks are very friendly, and as you mentioned, they have lots of nice toys to take home with. Probably just as good I wasn't into tenor banjo yet last time I was there. Could have gotten spendy.
    Rob Ross
    Apple Valley, Minne-SOH-tah

1996 Flatiron A5-Performer, 1915 Gibson F-2 (loaned to me by a friend), 2008 Kentucky Master KM-505 A-Model
    1925 Bacon Peerless tenor banjo (Irish tuning), 1985 Lloyd Laplant F-5, 2021 Ibanez PFT2 Tenor Guitar (GDAE)
    and of course, the 1970 Suzuki-Violin-Sha Bowl Back Taterbug

4. The following members say thank you to Rob Ross for this post:

Can you tell us what brands they are dealers for? Their web site doesn’t say, nor does it list any inventory. In fact, it is a terrible web site IMHO. No information about products, and very little about the store. Seems like they aren’t concerned with widening their business model beyond just being a local brick and mortar store.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

6. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Can you tell us what brands they are dealers for? Their web site doesn’t say, nor does it list any inventory. In fact, it is a terrible web site IMHO. No information about products, and very little about the store. Seems like they aren’t concerned with widening their business model beyond just being a local brick and mortar store.

Looking at the website I would guess they are not dealers for anyone? If the pic is accurate -- i.e., from the actual store -- they appear to have mostly used instruments for sale not new.

Definitely an "old school" kind of place even with used LPs for sale!! Probably a great store!

I hope they can make a go of it. They have located far themselves far far from the OSU crowd so I think they are intent on serving the old time and bluegrass pickers that abound it the counties and small towns south of Columbus.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

8. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

Hey Bernie,

I grew up in Cowtown and some of my fondest memories were stopping into some of the little mom and pop music shops in the various surrounding suburbs back in the day. In a way, those pre-internet days were exciting as you just never knew what hidden gem you might discover upon first walking in. Now every music shop is expected to have a website to cater to everyone but that also means that as a buyer, you aren't just competing with other buyers within that suburb or city, but buyers from suburbs in other states, not to mention other countries.

Now all those hidden gems are listed on Reverb. And, while I see the upside of that, I can't help but feel the pangs of nostalgia for a different time.

This little shop holds a jam every Saturday? I mean, how freakin' cool is that? I might just have to stop by on my way to Fur Peace Ranch for the Sierra Hull Workshop in September.
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

I've been there many times. It is tiny, basically a couple rooms in an old house. The jam is held in the basement. If four or five people are in the store it would be crowded. There are a lot of instruments hung and stacked three deep on the walls, but most everything is recent import/low end. I don't think they are dealers for any major brands other than strings, etc. Once in a while they might get a used/trade-in or vintage piece, but that doesn't seem to be their specialty. In other words, I've been there many times and not seen a single Gibson, Collings, Weber, etc, so you might wanna call first and ask if you are looking for something specific. They do have a lot of song books and tons of bluegrass CD's and even LP's, probably even some old cassettes that haven't sold in 30 years. If you are looking for a Doug Dillard LP or a Red, White and Bluegrass LP from the 70's they probably still have it in stock (from their original order...) That being said, it is a lot of fun and really nice people. A unique place, for sure.

The place reminds me of the store I worked with when I graduated high school but, almost fifty years later!? I might be making a side trip next time I make a family visit in a “southerly direction” . We shall see.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Was this store also known as The Bluegrass Music Supply Company?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scotter View Post
    Hey Bernie,

I grew up in Cowtown and some of my fondest memories were stopping into some of the little mom and pop music shops in the various surrounding suburbs back in the day. In a way, those pre-internet days were exciting as you just never knew what hidden gem you might discover upon first walking in. Now every music shop is expected to have a website to cater to everyone but that also means that as a buyer, you aren't just competing with other buyers within that suburb or city, but buyers from suburbs in other states, not to mention other countries.

Now all those hidden gems are listed on Reverb. And, while I see the upside of that, I can't help but feel the pangs of nostalgia for a different time.

This little shop holds a jam every Saturday? I mean, how freakin' cool is that? I might just have to stop by on my way to Fur Peace Ranch for the Sierra Hull Workshop in September.
    Very cool indeed! Columbus was my stomping grounds also from 1967 to circa 1979 -- minus a 2 year time out in the US Army in '70-72. We probably know some folks in common? In those days guys like Tom Ewing and Sandy Rothman were hanging around the OSU campus (Tom was a student) and playing in the local bands. Were you a member of the Columbus Bluegrass mafia with those guys like Roger Johnson and Stu Peck? I used to spend a lot of time at the Columbus Folk Music Center on High Street just north of Lane -- run by Tom Zinser and his partner who's name slips my memory right now. It was indeed a very neat place to be in those days!
    And yes I loved going in all those pawn shops. I made a big score once too. Bought an early 60's D-28 for something like $200. But then like an idiot I sold it to a friend and kept my '60 Hummingbird. Should have done it the other way around.
    Last edited by Bernie Daniel; Jul-04-2019 at 8:11pm.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I've been there many times. It is tiny, basically a couple rooms in an old house. The jam is held in the basement. If four or five people are in the store it would be crowded. There are a lot of instruments hung and stacked three deep on the walls, but most everything is recent import/low end. I don't think they are dealers for any major brands other than strings, etc. Once in a while they might get a used/trade-in or vintage piece, but that doesn't seem to be their specialty. In other words, I've been there many times and not seen a single Gibson, Collings, Weber, etc, so you might wanna call first and ask if you are looking for something specific. They do have a lot of song books and tons of bluegrass CD's and even LP's, probably even some old cassettes that haven't sold in 30 years. If you are looking for a Doug Dillard LP or a Red, White and Bluegrass LP from the 70's they probably still have it in stock (from their original order...) That being said, it is a lot of fun and really nice people. A unique place, for sure.
    Cool info. I might have to drive up from Cincinnati and stop in for a visit -- especially since Schmidt's Sausage Haus is so close!!

Where do you hang your hat?
    Bernie
    ____

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Was this store also known as The Bluegrass Music Supply Company?
    That seems likely as one guy on their Facebook page call it that?
    Bernie
    ____

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Very cool indeed! Columbus was my stomping grounds also from 1967 to circa 1979 -- minus a 2 year time out in the US Army in '70-72. We probably know some folks in common? In those days guys like Tom Ewing and Sandy Rothman were hanging around the OSU campus (Tom was a student) and playing in the local bands. Were you a member of the Columbus Bluegrass mafia with those guys like Roger Johnson and Stu Peck? I used to spend a lot of time at the Columbus Folk Music Center on High Street just north of Lane -- run by Tom Zinser and his partner who's name slips my memory right now. It was indeed a very neat place to be in those days!
    And yes I loved going in all those pawn shops. I made a big score once too. Bought an early 60's D-28 for something like $200. But then like an idiot I sold it to a friend and kept my '60 Hummingbird. Should have done it the other way around.
    Despite playing music since I was a kid, I've only recently taken an interest in Bluegrass. It's been almost 20 years since I've last stepped foot on Planet oHIo and I'm already starting to forget the names of a lot of the old guitar shops. Heck, I bought no less than three guitars from that little shop on the edge of the OSU campus at North High Street and I can't remember what that place was called. I do have fond memories of Bill Foley at German Village Music Haus. And, Mark Chatfield of Bob Seger, The Godz, and Rosie fame was always entertaining to talk to at the various places that he worked including his own Cowtown Guitars that I believe he later moved to Las Vegas.

A case for golden days of small guitar shops: My last trip to oHIo was in 2000 for my Grandmother's funeral. While there I stopped into Flynn's Guitar Center in Mt. Vernon. Flynn had played bass for Loretta Lynn before retiring to Mt. Vernon and opening his shop. I had stopped in a few times on trips the years previous and had always found he had pretty good stuff at reasonable prices. On this trip I was intrigued by three ukuleles he had hanging on the wall. This was before the recent ukulele explosion and I didn't know much about them back then but I noticed one of them was Pineapple shaped, make of Koa wood and had a label or stamp that said made in Hawaii 1973. "How much for the ukuleles," I asked? "They're $40.00 each," said Flynn. "I'll take this funky looking one," was my reply. When I got home I was surprised to find on an internet search that the Kamaka Pineapple Soprano is one of the most prized ukes among collectors and good vintage examples, like the one I had just purchased, were selling for around $400.00 at that time! And, yes, I still have it.
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scotter View Post
    ...Heck, I bought no less than three guitars from that little shop on the edge of the OSU campus at North High Street and I can't remember what that place was called....
    That was the Columbus Folk Music Center (High St. just north of Lane Ave.). I kind of lived there when I was not in the lab in the Bio. Sci. Building.
    Bernie
    ____

That was the Columbus Folk Music Center (High St. just north of Lane Ave.). I kind of lived there when I was not in the lab in the Bio. Sci. Building.
    No, this was way south of there. South of Long’s Bookstore and SBX.

Cool info. I might have to drive up from Cincinnati and stop in for a visit -- especially since Schmidt's Sausage Haus is so close!!

Where do you hang your hat?
    Went to OSU in the 70's. Great town for music and music stores, back then. In addition to those mentioned, there was a short-lived shop at 13th and High, near the Agora, not the String Shoppe -- which was another Columbus landmark, also at 13th and High, this shop was a folk, acoustic instrument store in a small row of small shops on 13th. Keep in mind, this was before the "vintage thing" took hold and it was common to see 30's instruments on consignment at a music store. There was also a huge pawn shop way out on West Broad that was owned by a retired detective. I bought a couple Gibson acoustic guitars from him. In fact, he once showed me an old mandolin and said, "now, son, if it says THE Gibson, then you've got an old one!" That was the first time I had heard that.

Speaking of food, also in German Village is the Thurman Cafe, used to be home of the ONE POUND hamburger. I just checked their menu and everything has been downgraded to 3/4 pounders with various toppings, but they do offer a double, so if you are up to the challenge...................Dad and I ate there about 30 years ago and both were able to finish the one pounders, but it wasn't easy! Also on their menu are hot wings, rated in BTU's!!!

I just remembered another old school music store that is now out of business, Sonny's Guitar Shop which was in the Great Southern Shopping Plaza. Full line store. Sonny was Tammy Wynette's steel guitar player.

Also, worth the trip is Uncle Sam's Pawn Shop, downtown, another Columbus landmark. Hundreds of guitars on the wall, mostly older and vintage, some are down right historic. My friend claims to have been in the upstairs and says there are hundreds of guitars up there, also, but not open to the public.
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Jul-05-2019 at 5:15pm.

20. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Ah, it was The String Shoppe that I was thinking of. I seem to remember Sonny's closing down not long after Gold Circle went out of business. I can't imagine that that mall is still standing as I heard that even The City Center Mall is now long gone.

I miss Donato's Pizza, White Castle, and stealing plastic pitchers from The North Heidelberg. Oh, those were the daze...

22. The following members say thank you to Scotter for this post: