Thread: Gibson “Black Night” at TMS

Default Gibson “Black Night” at TMS

Anyone else look at that thing yet? My first thought was, what a blatant rip-off of Weber’s “Black Ice”. Funny especially in light of all of Gibson’s holier than thou attitudes about others copying their designs. But I suppose it’s not possible to claim intellectual ownership of a color scheme. If it was, somebody would have made a trademark out of sunburst long ago.

Then, after I got over the resemblance to the Black Ice, my second thought was “OMG! Look at that flame!” Holy Moley, that is some of the most spectacular flame on the back, sides, and neck that I’ve seen! And the black stain really makes it pop! Drool worthy eye candy for sure.

If the sound matches the looks, it could be a good one for someone who likes a black top. I don’t. Fortunately. So therefore, not tempted.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

2. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Default Re: Gibson “Black Night” at TMS

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    My first thought was, what a blatant rip-off of Weber’s “Black Ice”. Funny especially in light of all of Gibson’s holier than thou attitudes about others copying their designs.
    It may have simply been a case of the dealer custom-ordering it with that finish.

Yup drooling, I just picked up a used Weber Black ice octave, so gonna have to let that Gibson pass, love the solid black look(don't know if I feel more like Neil Young, Johnny Cash, or Ace Frehley) , have seen a few Collings with the black top as well.

I don't know as anyone has a trademark on a black top instrument, There are a lot of Black Snakeheads and other Gibson As, a lot of black H4 mandocellos too.
    I'm pretty sure Gene Simmons did it first anyway.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Anyone else look at that thing yet? My first thought was, what a blatant rip-off of Weber’s “Black Ice”. Funny especially in light of all of Gibson’s holier than thou attitudes about others copying their designs. But I suppose it’s not possible to claim intellectual ownership of a color scheme. If it was, somebody would have made a trademark out of sunburst long ago.

Then, after I got over the resemblance to the Black Ice, my second thought was “OMG! Look at that flame!” Holy Moley, that is some of the most spectacular flame on the back, sides, and neck that I’ve seen! And the black stain really makes it pop! Drool worthy eye candy for sure.

If the sound matches the looks, it could be a good one for someone who likes a black top. I don’t. Fortunately. So therefore, not tempted.
    You have it backwards,Weber is the blatant rip off from Gibson,,black top mandolins go as far back in Gibsons history to Orville .

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to T.D.Nydn For This Useful Post:

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Here we go

- - - Updated - - -

My first thought: F5Gs are $7k?

modified.

Blog Entries

I just watched the you-tube demo of this one and I must say under Mr. David Harvey I think their stuff is very on track with the old Gibson F-5 sound! Very great sounding mandolins under David! Just my opinion but I bet in 80-90 years these all will sound like the Loars and Ferns we love now and play? Just my honest opinion!

It always helps top provide a link: Gibson Black Night
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

I have played this mandolin back in late May, just after it came in and it was a killer mandolin IMO. 1 3/16 in at the nut, deep v neck, beautiful back and sides. I was on a road trip across the country and I played about 20 different mandolins between Los Angeles and Louisville. The one I ended up buying just ticked a couple more boxes for me. I recorded every instrument I played with a little Zoom HN4 recorder and have reviewed those recordings extensively in deciding what to purchase. The Black Night was the best instrument I played at TMS that day and one of the best on the trip. The best sounding ones I played on the whole trip were a 2005ish Goldrush and an early 90s Altman. There were some I deliberately passed on playing because they were just too far above my reach. The Goldrush wasn't for sale and the Altman was 11.5k. Someone looking for a wideneck mandolin in that price range could do much worse than buying the Black Night.

There are two reasons I didn't go with this one: I've had black instruments before and they show prints like nothing else on earth and it doesn't have binding on the back or points. With such an amazing wood choice for the back and sides I think I would cry my eyes out if I chipped the edge on something. I don't handle my instruments roughly but binding definitely protects the edges. A minor third point was that I had it in mind to find something at least 10 years old and it was brand new. Taking the depreciation hit immediately was something I wasn't all that thrilled about. I have no doubt that the instrument will mature into something great if it gets played.

Dennis told me that it was a custom order made by the shop.

Edit: The flame maple is even more stunning in person. On looks alone, it was probably the most stunning back, sides and neck I saw on the trip. If it had been a gray burst out to black edges for the top I might have talked myself into it.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillytheB For This Useful Post:

BillytheB- I’m with you on the black tops. Not only do they show every fingerprint, but all you have to do is look at them the wrong way and they accumulate scratches like crazy. Same thing goes, really, for very very dark bursts like mine has. So much of the top is dark it might as well be black. It took me a long time to learn to not be bothered by the scratches and just play it. I’m sure all finishes accumulate scratches in exactly the same way, but they don’t show nearly as much on a lighter finish. Black tops are absolutely the worst for showing flaws! But you know, it would almost be worth it to have all that flame on the back. I was mesmerized by just looking at the picture. It’s almost like op-art.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

15. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Blog Entries

Love black tops! I don't care about smudges, scratches and stuff, to me its all about the sound, all my mandolins have play wear granted they're all 20's-30's except a rare one of 5 according to David Harvey a 2009 Gibson F-10 75th anniversary model-great newer Gibson in all black like the few original 30's short neck F-10's but this 09 has the 5 scale longer neck rather than the short neck like the originals and this one has the total vintage vibe down to the all black finish, replica inlays in board and head stock. It even sounds like a much older mandolin IMHO and I've had loads of newer mandolins, newer Gibson's as well and this one beats them out tone wise-its on par with the 04 Gibson Varnished Fern I had a long time ago, those V-Ferns made during the Derrington era and signed by Roberts are great mandolins and was told they only had about 25 of those due to the expensive/time consuming varnish application! So they discontinued them and saved the varnish for the MM's. Back then they used Sitka for the tops on the V-Ferns, I wish I had mine back, I've seen it for sale a few times here in the classifieds over the years. It was an extremely light mandolin, it weighed next to nothing, very responsive! I believe under David Harvey they have made some V-ferns, with Sitka tops and then the MModel V-ferns with the Adirondack/red spruce tops MM style! The ones I've heard are outstanding!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Smith For This Useful Post:

Black top or not, I was fully prepared to buy that mandolin if what became my first choice hadn't worked out. I might actually have liked the neck on this one a bit more but tonally the other was a little further along than a brand new instrument.

Nice review, Billy - and what looks like a nice mandolin. As for blacktops, if you play them enough, fingerprints become less of a concern. ;-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	170.4 KB 
ID:	178081
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    It always helps top provide a link: Gibson Black Night
    Holy Cow! That has a beautiful flame on it!