Thread: This old Merle Travis song has the most amazing mandolin playing

Default This old Merle Travis song has the most amazing mandolin playing

I stumbled on this song entirely by accident, and I'd love to know who is playing the mandolin on this. The break after the first verse blows my mind.

Anyone have an idea?

2. The following members say thank you to In Nashville for this post:

Default Re: This old Merle Travis song has the most amazing mandolin play

Quote Originally Posted by In Nashville View Post

I stumbled on this song entirely by accident, and I'd love to know who is playing the mandolin on this. The break after the first verse blows my mind.

Anyone have an idea?
    Quite possibly Loyd Armstrong of the Armstrong twins from Arkansas. Cool playing for sure.
    Steve Smith

Who’s kidding who! The timbre of the instrument sounds to me like they slowed the tape to half speed when they recorded it - think “The Chipmonks”. We did that with a bowed bass once ‘cos we wanted it to sound like a cello. (Ten minutes later I asked the engineer to say to the bass player “That was great, lets go for a take this time”.)

Interesting. That sure sounds like an electric mandolin being recorded through the signal from its pickup, rather than being mic'd acoustically.

Does anyone know whether it would have been possible at the time to record an electric instrument direct to the board, rather than putting a mic in front of its amp? Because that's what this sounds like to me.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Who’s kidding who! The timbre of the instrument sounds to me like they slowed the tape to half speed when they recorded it - think “The Chipmonks”. We did that with a bowed bass once ‘cos we wanted it to sound like a cello. (Ten minutes later I asked the engineer to say to the bass player “That was great, lets go for a take this time”.)
    Agreed. Definitely has some of that Les Paul-style trickery going on. I wouldn't assume it's a mandolin.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

"His uptempo single "Merle's Boogie Woogie" showed him working with multi-part disc recording at the same time as Les Paul."

Here's an on-line discussion that supports the "speeded-up studio recording" theory.

Travis was reportedly influenced by the guitar studio work of Les Paul around the same time (late '40's).
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM