Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chinese mandolins

Default Re: Chinese mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I am thinking you can do better for the same or not much more.

Don't over look flat top mandolins. You can likely get a very nice flat top, with great workmanship and materials, for not a whole lot of money. Mandolins that you might still choose years from now when you know "better".
    +1 for this suggestion. I, too, am a fan of flat-tops. Despite having a very nice carved arch top mandolin, if I counted the number of hours per year of play time, I think my Crystal Forest A/N flat-top would be the winner. I just love playing that mandolin. If you buy a flat-top as a beginner and wait until you know you are sticking with mandolin, and know exactly what you want before buying a good arch top, you may save some steps along the way. You might discover that the flat top one you will keep for life, regardless of what else you buy.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

The OP isn't in the US. What makes sense here might not make sense where he's at.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Adrian Minarovic

They look exactly like "Richwood" mandolins I've seen here and those were all solid pressed tops. They vary wildly in tone. One can be good, other just so-so.
    Adrian

4. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

Blog Entries

Right on Adrian and we all know what a bad set up will do even to the best of mandolins! Its always worth it to put the time into a perfect set up be it doing it yourself if you have some skill or having a reputable luthier do it for you, be it a vintage Gibson or a cheaper import! Set-up is the most important thing to me on any instrument to bring out the best sound possible!

This is the Afanti mandolin in the YouTube video. It is $585- quite a bit more than those that are featured at the start of this thread:

https://www.###############/item/329...6bbdf7cc5XiiQC

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    This is the Afanti mandolin in the YouTube video. It is $585- quite a bit more than those that are featured at the start of this thread:

https://www.###############/item/329...6bbdf7cc5XiiQC
    True, but you can get one for $420 on Alibaba.
    And I think its of a similar built like the better of the two at the start of the thread. It even has the same hardware.

The point being, that it is hard to judge these Chinese mandolins on price alone. I had a look at the Richwood mandolin and although they were very similar, they were not identical. As I wrote some way back on this thread, there is an element of a gamble in buying one of there instruments. I am sure that many would be a great buy- but as always with mail order, you need to be careful

Hi all, just wanted to say I have just received a Chinese mandolin I decided to order afterall. If someone is interested I will post a review. Let me know please. Best wishes.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dalmatino For This Useful Post:

Of COURSE we want a review! We live for stuff like that. The more details, nitpicking, and minutiae, the better we like it!
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to multidon For This Useful Post:

That's great- I have bought one as well. Maybe you can start a new thread with your review. Mine is the one on the right in that original photo you posted- I appeared to be the first to buy. I have no idea where it is- it was sent 10 days ago. I mentioned that as the first to buy, that I was hoping I could give it a really great review and it was nicely set up etc. I was emailed back to say that the mandolin was being thoroughly checked and a good review would be nice. Let's hope I can follow through on that score!

14. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Of COURSE we want a review! We live for stuff like that. The more details, nitpicking, and minutiae, the better we like it!
    OK, will do

That's great- I have bought one as well. Maybe you can start a new thread with your review. Mine is the one on the right in that original photo you posted- I appeared to be the first to buy. I have no idea where it is- it was sent 10 days ago. I mentioned that as the first to buy, that I was hoping I could give it a really great review and it was nicely set up etc. I was emailed back to say that the mandolin was being thoroughly checked and a good review would be nice. Let's hope I can follow through on that score!
    Actually I didn`t go with that one at the end. I went with Afanti A-style mandolin. The same one somebody here on this forum has already bought. But I got it from Afanti factory instead from Pango factory. I even caught it on sale. Strange thing is that mandolins made in both factories have Afanti name on it. I found out some other details about production of these, but not sure who to trust.

The bottom line is - I am happy with the purchase. I am novice mandolin player, just starting to learn, but I have lots of experience with woodworking and I even have built several instruments on my own ( couple of guitars and ukulele) and mandolin is next on my list. So I can witness from that point of view. The mandolin is built like a tank. In a positive way. Feels really solid and I don`t see many weak spots. I think it will last a lifetime. The spruce top has really dense grains. And its shaped perfectly. BAck of the mandolin as well. To tell you the truth its so perfect that I doubt it was hand carved. I assume it was CNC machine that did it. I don`t think it has been molded because the spruce top is too thick for that. I don`t think it would withstand bending so much. I looked through the F-holes and its very neat from the inside too.
    I did a bit of a setup. Fretboard was dry like that guy said and I oiled it. As I did that, some cracks in the wood were visible, but as soon as the oil dried,the cracks disappeared.
    The bridge needed some sanding before it sit perfectly on the body. It came separate. I tuned it and the tuners are holding the tune very well. On the close inspection one can see few detail imperfections like the saw trace next to few frets - someone has missed the line I guess, but its really minor. Also there are a few visible glue stains where the neck meets the body. But its really all very minor. The overall impression is that the woodworking is of a good quality and the instrument looks neat and clean. I have a good recording equipment so if you are interested I can post some sound clips and photos as well.

17. The following members say thank you to Dalmatino for this post:

Nick, just to tell you why I went for Afanti instead of Felling mandolin - Feeling mandolins have single action truss rod while Afanti mandolins have double action truss rod.
    Probably not that important.

Dalmatino, that all sounds like good news and you are happy with your purchase which is the most important factor. It would be good to see a few photos and have a listen to it via a sound clip. As you mention, there are a few imperfections and that is not unusual. It is down to its performance as a playable instrument that is the bottom line. Well done, it is good you now have a good mandolin on which to progress and master!

My Feeling mandolin arrived yesterday and I am very impressed with its tone, volume and build quality. I will do a thorough review once my mandolin expert has seen it and I am doing a bluegrass pick next week as wellClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2674.JPG 
Views:	262 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	178872. I do not expect him to find fault with it- he will give an opinion based on the price. My opinion is that it gives great value for money and as I far as I can tell does not need any tweaks to improve its playing which to me is very good. I will play out the strings it has arrived with before using my own preferred gauge. The photo shows some BluTack on the tailpiece as the E strings were slipping when it was tuned up and I replaced them and forgot to take off.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NickR For This Useful Post:

My Feeling mandolin arrived yesterday and I am very impressed with its tone, volume and build quality. I will do a thorough review once my mandolin expert has seen it and I am doing a bluegrass pick next week as wellClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2674.JPG 
Views:	262 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	178872. I do not expect him to find fault with it- he will give an opinion based on the price. My opinion is that it gives great value for money and as I far as I can tell does not need any tweaks to improve its playing which to me is very good. I will play out the strings it has arrived with before using my own preferred gauge. The photo shows some BluTack on the tailpiece as the E strings were slipping when it was tuned up and I replaced them and forgot to take off.
    Hi Nick, thats great news about the Feeling instrument. I would be interested to see more details about the mandolin. Like some more photos of the back and if you can take a photo of the inside through the f hole? I will post more details about my Afanti once I am back from vacation. Best wishes and enjoy your purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmatino View Post
    Actually I didn`t go with that one at the end. I went with Afanti A-style mandolin. The same one somebody here on this forum has already bought. But I got it from Afanti factory instead from Pango factory. I even caught it on sale. Strange thing is that mandolins made in both factories have Afanti name on it. I found out some other details about production of these, but not sure who to trust.

The bottom line is - I am happy with the purchase. I am novice mandolin player, just starting to learn, but I have lots of experience with woodworking and I even have built several instruments on my own ( couple of guitars and ukulele) and mandolin is next on my list. So I can witness from that point of view. The mandolin is built like a tank. In a positive way. Feels really solid and I don`t see many weak spots. I think it will last a lifetime. The spruce top has really dense grains. And its shaped perfectly. BAck of the mandolin as well. To tell you the truth its so perfect that I doubt it was hand carved. I assume it was CNC machine that did it. I don`t think it has been molded because the spruce top is too thick for that. I don`t think it would withstand bending so much. I looked through the F-holes and its very neat from the inside too.
    I did a bit of a setup. Fretboard was dry like that guy said and I oiled it. As I did that, some cracks in the wood were visible, but as soon as the oil dried,the cracks disappeared.
    The bridge needed some sanding before it sit perfectly on the body. It came separate. I tuned it and the tuners are holding the tune very well. On the close inspection one can see few detail imperfections like the saw trace next to few frets - someone has missed the line I guess, but its really minor. Also there are a few visible glue stains where the neck meets the body. But its really all very minor. The overall impression is that the woodworking is of a good quality and the instrument looks neat and clean. I have a good recording equipment so if you are interested I can post some sound clips and photos as well.
    I own 2 Afanti mandolins. Both hand carved and hand varnished. They both took a fair amount of setup to get in good playing shape, but I love them! A very good buy. Let us know how yours turns out.
    Best, Stevo

Well, I have got mine into what I consider a good set up. Of course with those fancy inlays, you do not have position marker dots to help guide you! In fact, I would much prefer normal fret markers but there you go. In terms of tone, the mandolin packs a punch all right and rings out with some decent chop as well. I consider it nearly as good as my 1923 A2 which wins plaudits from all that hear it. This is an f hole mandolin and I would not consider it as comparable to an oval hole instrument but it is very good and it is brand new. Until I have taken it to the expert, I can only rely on my judgment but it will be heard by others with good playing skills and knowledge on Tuesday. Once I have seen the mandolin and archtop guitar maker who looks after my stuff, I will be able to write a comprehensive review in a couple of weeks time.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NickR For This Useful Post:

I hope to see my expert tomorrow so I will post up my review fairly soon. Personally, one month on from my previous post, I am very happy with this instrument and have no negative comment. Obviously a circa $350 instrument is not a world beater but it does seem to represent very good value for the modest outlay.

27. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

OK, so here is a clip of playing some on one. I am still novice in playing so forgive me on simplicity
    This is just to show how the mandolin looks and sounds like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06IN3ugTXDE

29. The following members say thank you to Dalmatino for this post:

Yes, the mandolin sounds great- nice ringing tone- it is not a turkey!

Hi Nick, do you still have yours? Are you happy with it? What did the expert say?

Yes, I have mine and I still play it. However, I bought a 1939 Regal Custom Shop mandolin and that has a slightly wider board which means when I play the other mandolins I have, like my Feeling mandolin with their slightly narrower necks, I need time to re-adapt to them but I have no criticism of the mandolin. I did a review of my mandolin in another thread here: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...pruce-top-quot

This below is a paragraph from my above review which has my luthier's verdict on the mandolin:

I have also taken the mandolin to my massively experienced maker/repairer and his opinion was extremely positive. He said that having a volute- as on my mandolin was definitely advantageous in terms of greater strength where the neck is weakened by the truss rod adjustment cavity. It was mentioned in the other thread that the truss rod in this instrument was "one way" which he said was not significant in a mandolin- two way would suit a mandola- or any instrument with a longer neck. He observed that the build quality was extremely good as was the overall finish. The nut was well made, the bridge sat really well on the top which was carved- presumably by machine. He was not sure if the back was carved but that is less significant. He liked the hardware and he thought the tone and volume was really great. He had nothing but praise for the mandolin and said that the American makers were really in for serious competition now that Chinese makers were buying really good wood. He said it represented outstanding value at the price quoted.