Thread: Three Beginner Questions

Question Three Beginner Questions

Hi All,

Firstly, if there is some thread that answers any of my three questions, please feel free to simply direct me there if you'd like. I've searched around in the forums, but wasn't having much luck. I fear that my questions are so elementary to most musicians here, that there aren't many discussions about the topics. Incidentally, I hope to purchase my first mandolin very soon with a recently increased budget of $300 (I know that for a mandolin that's hardly any money at all, but it is what it is). Thanks for any help you can provide.

Please help me out with ANY of the following questions:

(1) - Aside from appearances, what are the differences from A-style to F-style?

(2) - Aside from appearances, what are the differences from oval holes to F holes?

(3) - Aside from appearances, what are the differences from gloss finish to matte finish?

Default Re: Three Beginner Questions

1 - There is no difference between A and F mandolins in terms of how they sound, the differences are purely visual.
    Because A shape mandolins are more straight forward to build, you get "much more bang for your buck" buying A shape mandolins.

2- f holes give a more punchy, focused sound with a quicker decay - they give that classic bluegrass sound. Oval holes have more sustain, and give a sound more associated with folk, trad, old time. (Broadly speaking)
    3 Differences between gloss and matt finishes are subjects of great debate- from my expierence there is no real difference to how a mandolin sounds. What does matter however is the thickness of the finish, thinner finishes are preferable to thicker finishes and a thinner finish allows the wood to vibrate and breathe, while a thicker finish will stifle or subdue the sound.

Learning the mandolin is wonderful journey and this place is a fantastic resource with so many hugely knowledgeable people so generous with their knowledge.

Welcome and enjoy!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noah finn For This Useful Post:

For $300, don't buy an F Style.
    Buy an A Style.
    For that price the A will be a far superior instrument.

Go for a used Kentucky, Eastman, or J Bovier.
    The Kentucky KM150 is the general go to for the lower end.
    They tend to sound just fine.

Shiny or matte is mainly aesthetics, and not really a tone issue.
    Finish type is more important (Nitrocellulose lacquer, Waterborne lacquer, Oil Varnish, Spirit Varnish)
    For $300, it is probably going to be Nitrocellulose, so no need to worry about that.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CWRoyds For This Useful Post:

Lapkyankees1 

Just to add to what the others have said, matt finishes are easier/cheaper to apply but handlng/playing wear will make a matt finish glossy; usually in patches.

I bought a Collings mandola with a matt neck a couple of years ago. The neck is now glossy purely from playing. (...... plus fingers tend to slide better on a matt neck.)

7. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Lapk 

I play an oval hole because I can hear what I'm playing when I'm in a group as the sound comes out sideways a bit more.

The mistake I made was to turn the Mandolin too far towards my ears to hear it better and I gave myself a sore wrist.

I'm trying to learn to blank out the other instruments.

9. The following members say thank you to Davey for this post:

Lapk 

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    ... handlng/playing wear will make a matt finish glossy; usually in patches. ...
    Just like, given enough time, handling/playing wear will make a glossy finish matt, usually in patches.

For those who worry about aesthetics, a compromise that some have suggested is buff a matt finish, maybe with wax, to a semi-gloss; the result may change the least over time. Most of us would just play and let the battle scars accumulate as they may, because they will.

As Davey implied above, f-holes tend to project forward and be heard better across the room (good for playing against loud bluegrass instruments), while round/oval holes may seem louder to the player (at least in a quiet situation). F's also put the strings' energy into a louder inital volume with fast decay, while round/oval holes are initially quieter (all things being equal, which they never are!) but sustain over a longer time.
    Last edited by EdHanrahan; Jul-02-2019 at 10:32am.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

11. The following members say thank you to EdHanrahan for this post:

Lapk 

Quote Originally Posted by Lapk View Post
    (2) - Aside from appearances, what are the differences from oval holes to F holes?
    I've only owned f-hole mandolins, so that's what I'm used to. When I've tried oval-hole mandolins, I've been surprised at just how different they sound! I personally don't like the sound at all - it sounds tubby and unbalanced to me. When I first started playing, I planned to eventually have one of each style if only for the variety, but at this point I don't even want to buy an oval-hole mandolin. That being said, lots of folks love and prefer oval-hole mandolins. I've often wondered how long it would take me, playing only oval hole instruments, before my ear adapted to that sound, and then how would the f-hole instruments sound?

SO, you need to try to get your hands on both types and see how they sound to YOU. If you like both sounds, then you're good to go. If you prefer one over the other, then you buy accordingly.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

13. The following members say thank you to Doug Brock for this post:

Lapk 

Blog Entries

Oval hole versus f holes. Tastes vary. They both have there adherents. The f hole mandolin usually makes a more focused percussive sound than the oval hole. Prized in bluegrass.

I prefer the oval hole sound myself. Better IMO for non-bluegrass genres.

This is one way i have heard it.

Response to someone playing an f hole mandolin - "Wow what a beautiful sound on that mandolin."

Response to someone playing on an oval hole mandolin - "Wow what beautiful music."
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Or, when you get truly addicted you can have both f-hole and oval hole mandolins! I do! LOL!!

17. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Lapk 

He who dies with the most mandolins wins

19. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    He who dies with the most mandolins wins
    Actually, he who shows up at the estate sale of the guy who had the most mandolins wins.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

21. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Actually, he who shows up at the estate sale of the guy who had the most mandolins wins.
    Ha! Love it. Let me know when/where that is! I may be small, but I'm a fierce shopper!

23. The following members say thank you to Little Missy for this post: