Thread: Shout out to Northfield Mandolins

Default Shout out to Northfield Mandolins

I was traveling through Michigan two weeks ago and so contacted Northfield mandolins via the 'contact us' feature on the website. I asked whether the show room was open which is part of the manufacturing facility in beautiful Marshall Michigan. Peter Bagale responded almost immediately, apologizing for being out of the state on business but arranged via email for me to visit the distribution center. He asked Jakob and Jess who were working there to get out three models of mandolins for me to try out-even though only one was for sale at that time. My wife and I spent some very enjoyable and relaxing time with these two dedicated and hard working Northfield employees. I got to play early editions of the Model M, A 5 Special and Big Mon while my wife patiently read her book.

From there I traveled to Lansing and spent some hours at Elderly Instruments playing A style mandolins. I played mandolins made by Pava, Weber, Eastman, Collings and Ellis. Each had a unique sound and feel. I can say with confidence, the Northfields I played the day before can comfortably run with even the best of these 'big dog' brands.

Though they were in the midst of preparations for a big show that required significant inventory and preparation, everyone at Northfield was very accommodating, gracious and helpful. I didn't make the purchase of a new mandolin that day (I did buy a T shirt though!) yet wanted to give the whole Northfield team a great deal of praise. They are really doing some incredible things there in collaboration with their founding partners in China. Thank you to Peter, Jakob and Jess for your hospitality and dedication to making first rate mandolins! If you're fortunate enough to be at the Swannanoa gathering this year you too will have a chance to try out some great Northfields.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Leester For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Shout out to Northfield Mandolins

I had an almost identical experience, and was truly impressed with the patience the staff had with my unscheduled visit. Even took time to play the instruments that I had brought with me to compare. Great experience.
    Gilchrist F5 Mandolin #273, 1993, built for Tom Rozum
    Apitius Vanguard F5 Custom Mandolin 2019
    White Mandola (custom build, expected April, 2023)
    Sumi Sullivan F-5 Mandolin 2003
    Weber Diamondback Octave F-Style Mandolin 2014
    Flatiron Cadet “Army-Navy” Flat Top Mandolin 1987
    Martin HD-28V Guitar 2004