Thread: Collings MF in a Recurve case

Default Collings MF in a Recurve case

Hello All,

I recently purchased a new MF. It's great. But I don't love the case. It's the standard TKL Collings case, and it's supposed to be great, but it's bulky, and while the relatively plush lining keeps the mando in place, I kind of have to wrestle it in. Plus, the lid only opens to 90 degrees, so I worry about banging the instrument on the hinges.

If Collings still sold the fancy cases, I'd be in the market--I think they're lovely--but since they don't, I've been looking at other options under 300. Has anyone tried putting an MF in the Northfield Recurve case?

Default Re: Collings MF in a Recurve case

Yes it works... at least it used to. I tested Collings and a ton of different mandos in our case during development. Unless something has changed about their body shape it should work fine. IMO (O = observation) Collings makes exacting parts every time.

But, in general there are possibilities like:

- different body shape
    - different neck joint (the vintage shorter neck joint (ala teens A Gibbys) puts the peghead in a different spot and sometimes has trouble reaching past the accessory pocket.
    - different neck angle, like more neck angle and a taller bridge because of it. There’s room for that built in.. but there are extremes.
    - different hardware and attached accessories. Tone Guard is no problem usually, but there are exceptions. Tuners attached to pegheads.. tuning machine swaps.. Big bulky straps that don’t fit along side the instrument well. Pickup jacks that stick out more from the end pin (usually fine) or carpenter jacks that sit high and don’t want to be forced in the space (again, usually fine)

We offer an approval period and if they’re by one of our dealers I’m sure they wouldn’t mind someone trying their mando out in one they have on hand.

3. The following members say thank you to Northfield mando for this post:

This all extremely helpful.

I love Northfield. Very grateful for what y'all do for this thread, for the community, and for the instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by jdchapman View Post
    Hello All,

I recently purchased a new MF. It's great. But I don't love the case. It's the standard TKL Collings case, and it's supposed to be great, but it's bulky, and while the relatively plush lining keeps the mando in place, I kind of have to wrestle it in. Plus, the lid only opens to 90 degrees, so I worry about banging the instrument on the hinges.

If Collings still sold the fancy cases, I'd be in the market--I think they're lovely--but since they don't, I've been looking at other options under 300. Has anyone tried putting an MF in the Northfield Recurve case?
    Collings is selling the traditional cases again. Check the website.

No F style cases in stock.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."