Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for My 1st Mandolin

Default Re: Looking for My 1st Mandolin

Yes. A gentleman has(had) one for sale here a few days ago. But unfortunately for me he has found a buyer and it is on hold, pending transfer of funds. There is another for sale here, but it is $500. I really want to hurry up and buy something because I'm a high school teacher and once school starts back up, my time for learning/practicing will be next to zero.

2. The following members say thank you to Lapk for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lapk View Post
    Yes. A gentleman has(had) one for sale here a few days ago. But unfortunately for me he has found a buyer and it is on hold, pending transfer of funds. There is another for sale here, but it is $500. I really want to hurry up and buy something because I'm a high school teacher and once school starts back up, my time for learning/practicing will be next to zero.
    Purchase in haste, repent in leisure. Kentucky orThe Loar A's can be found in your range if you don't get in a hurry. I doubt if you are going to learn the mandolin between now and the start of school. Yes your time will be more limited but you can work in practice several times a week and it will be more productive if you have a playable instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    Purchase in haste, repent in leisure. Kentucky orThe Loar A's can be found in your range if you don't get in a hurry. I doubt if you are going to learn the mandolin between now and the start of school. Yes your time will be more limited but you can work in practice several times a week and it will be more productive if you have a playable instrument.
    Your comment contributes absolutely nothing. As a matter of fact, it is borderline negative. Yes, I understand there are varying degrees of quality between makes and models of musical instruments. Obviously. If someone is feeling sufficiently inspired to take on a new instrument, then it would make sense to strike while the iron is hot... which is what I am attempting to accomplish. As someone who has played guitar for a few years, if someone were to ask me if they should start as soon as possible but with a less-than-stellar guitar, or postpone learning until they could afford a more reputable brand, I would absolutely advise then to purchase something they can afford and begin the learning process *now*. There will be more time to save up for a better instrument later, once they've learned more.

Between having a 5-year-old, 2-year-old, and a 9 month-old baby, and teaching AP Calculus BC, Multivariable Calculus, and Linear Algebra, your notion of being able to practice several times a week is, for lack of a better word, laughable. Summer is the only time I have for personal endeavors. Further, your comment in the other thread that I started of ”He who dies with the most mandolins wins" makes me think that money may be less of a controlling factor for you than it is for me.

Your comment contributes absolutely nothing. As a matter of fact, it is borderline negative. Yes, I understand there are varying degrees of quality between makes and models of musical instruments. Obviously. If someone is feeling sufficiently inspired to take on a new instrument, then it would make sense to strike while the iron is hot... which is what I am attempting to accomplish. As someone who has played guitar for a few years, if someone were to ask me if they should start as soon as possible but with a less-than-stellar guitar, or postpone learning until they could afford a more reputable brand, I would absolutely advise then to purchase something they can afford and begin the learning process *now*. There will be more time to save up for a better instrument later, once they've learned more.

Between having a 5-year-old, 2-year-old, and a 9 month-old baby, and teaching AP Calculus BC, Multivariable Calculus, and Linear Algebra, your notion of being able to practice several times a week is, for lack of a better word, laughable. Summer is the only time I have for personal endeavors. Further, your comment in the other thread that I started of ”He who dies with the most mandolins wins" makes me think that money may be less of a controlling factor for you than it is for me.
    I think Mandoplum’s reply was contributing a solid point of view, even if it wasn’t the answer you wanted. With the limited time you have left before school you could easily use it up struggling to get a very cheap instrument playable. Or spend way more money then it cost with a competent luthier still using up the limited time you have left. If you are serious about learning the mandolin you will still have that desire come next summer vacation but if come next summer vacation you don’t have that desire then you just saved a bit of cash. I started with a very nice sounding bowlback which was fairly inexpensive and to this day I still have it. I think patience is advisable when searching for an instrument and getting something serviceable to start with a must.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Your comment contributes absolutely nothing. As a matter of fact, it is borderline negative.
    I didn't see his comment as negative, just as a different POV. And his point is valid; it's not just the 'passion' that rules us, but also the 'will' and those are 2 vastly different things. BUT we're talking about learning an instrument here, not life or death. I have a niece that's a teacher with 2 kids, so I'm aware of your time commitment to your profession, but you shouldn't think of learning an instrument as stretches of time spent only with it. I usually pick up mine for 5-10 minutes every morning while it's quiet and maybe get longer stretches on my off days. Maybe you could set your alarm 10 minutes earlier, it's a pleasant way to start your hectic day.

If you're determined to get a mandolin ASAP, I say head here and stop fretting over it: https://themandolinstore.com/product...-with-gig-bag/

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

As an AP teacher (English Language and Literature), and father of two, I can commiserate. What I can tell you is that my students love being greeted at the door with a fiddle tune. And my homeroom kids welcome a relaxing medley during our down time. Even my quiet classroom after school can occasionally provide a sanctuary for practice. It is possible, even with all of our responsibilities at home and at work.

I’m sensitive to your budget, which I know that you have already raised once. I’ve been keeping an eye out for a flattop, hoping one might fall into your price range as they occasionally do. I started on one kind of like this:

https://reverb.com/item/24491299-big...-spruce-walnut

Only in my case, I found it used with a gigbag and shipping all included for less. Brands like this Big Muddy (previously Mid-Missouri) and Flatiron offer tremendous value for the money and in my opinion make great starter instruments for AP teachers with kids.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I thought of a couple of alternatives for you to consider, ones that might appeal to a migrating guitarist on a budget. The first is a Breedlove Crossover, made by a reputable guitar builder (Breedlove) at a facility outside the U.S. (like your Martin and Fender). They produce models with f-holes or an oval, and in recent years, they are constructed entirely of solid wood. They typically get good reviews for their fit/finish and playability:

https://reverb.com/item/22959822-bre...sover-mandolin

Another option that might be familiar to you from guitars would be the Seagull S8 from Godin. These guys are built in Canada with solid spruce tops and noted for their unique and solid construction. In many ways, they could almost qualify as a travel instrument with their smaller bodies, but they have a full scale neck:

https://www.riffcityguitaroutlet.com...SABEgI8v_D_BwE
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Lapk all I was saying was if money is real short it would be a mistake to waste any on an unplayable instrument, just to have one 2 or 3 weeks earlier. The comment about dieing with the most mandolins was really tounge-in-cheek, although you may be right that money is not as scare for me but I have been there. I raised 5children, put 3 thru collage on blue collared wages. They are on their own now house is paid for and money is not so tight.