Thread: New Fender 1.5mm pick

Default New Fender 1.5mm pick

I was trying to find some white Fender Extra Heavy picks yesterday and stumbled on this new pick from Fender. It's a sandwich of 3 layers like an Oreo with the big F cut out for a grip. You can't really see the sandwich in the attached pic. It's the big triangle shape 346 and 1.5mm. Anyone see one or try one? For those with PAS.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fender.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	177934

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...BoChg8QAvD_BwE
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Grieser For This Useful Post:

Default Re: New Fender 1.5mm pick

Lookijg closely I can see the white edge sticking out. Cool looking pick.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Hi Don-

Have you used one of these enough to give a review, or to comment on to what they seem comparable? Beveled? Do they work through the strings as smoothly as the BC CT55? Comparable to the Fender Extra Heavy big triangles?

Thanks!

Bob

No, I haven't tried one. Wondering if anyone else has.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave

As a chronic PAS sufferer, I was compelled to order a 3-pack of these picks (as well as a 3-pack of the tortoise shell version) as soon as I read this thread. I'll share my thoughts on these as soon as I receive them and have a chance to take them for a spin. Also note that these are available in 351 and 551 shapes in addition to the 346 triangle shape.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

Adrian Minarovic

They look just like standard three-layered celluloid. Should be good picks.
    I've been using simiar picks that I made laminating two or three large triangles together using either Duco, CA or straight acetone (Fender, Stagg or similar triangles0.6-0.8mm - I couldn't get them thicker here). I reshaped the edges after gluing to form slightly smaller triangle and polished the bevels to my preference.
    Adrian

I'm always up for trying new picks, but I have to say, this looks a bit gimmicky to me. What is the purpose of having 3 layers of the same material? They're standard "Extra Heavy" is 1.25 mm. I would think it would be better to just make a 1.5mm one-layer pick.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

What's with the center layer? Is it a different material than the outside? Just for looks?
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

This reminds me of pickguard material.
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

11. The following members say thank you to Joey Anchors for this post:

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    I'm always up for trying new picks, but I have to say, this looks a bit gimmicky to me. What is the purpose of having 3 layers of the same material? They're standard "Extra Heavy" is 1.25 mm. I would think it would be better to just make a 1.5mm one-layer pick.
    As I posted before I used to laminate my own picks out of two or three layers because there were no thicker picks (1.5 -1.8 mm) available here (other than Golden Gate but that was too rounded and after reshaping the trinagle was smaller than I liked) but for some reasons folks around me liked them quite a bit and always ask me if I have a spare... I didn't have any single layer pick to compare so I cannot tell, but now I'm mostly using the brown non grippy Primetone shaped to the same shape I like and I don't see much difference (if any at all) between them. For me 90% of the tone is in the shape and the material adds feel - both to touch and gliding off strings, and of course longevity.
    Adrian

13. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

Do I see the word “Mousetrap” on this ?
    I will see if I can find one here in this desert, maybe... maybe not.
    I have more picks than I will use in my lifetime!
    I do like the “traction device” of the excised “F” pretty cool!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

15. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Sweetwater delivered mine quickly. I have given one a test drive on both a dread and mandolin. This pick feels stiffer than a standard Fender 346 extra heavy tortoise shell. I like the 'F' relief cut (only on one side of the pick) which gives a nice solid feel under my thumb. The pick also feels ever so slightly smaller than other 346 shaped picks or triangles (like the Jim Dunlop Ultex and D'Andrea ProPlec or Radex triangles). It's very nearly identical in size to a BC CT55, except the corners are slightly less rounded. Tone-wise, I found it brighter than my liking on mandolin, but some re-shaping of the points to make them rounder would probably modulate that somewhat (but then I tend to go for a darker tone on mando - YMMV). However the greater stiffness is what turns me off about this pick on mandolin. I've been gravitating toward softer materials in recent years for mandolin - Red Bears, Fender TruShells, and the new Radex picks from D'Andrea (which are my current preference on mando).

I did like this pick quite a lot for guitar. I tend to stick with Dunlop Ultex 1.14 triangles on the 6-string but I rotate in Primetones now and then (both the textured and non-textured versions, which I find to have distinctly different feel and tone). I'm going to leave this new Fender pick on my guitar for now and see if it continues to grow on me.

Here's a photo showing size of the new laminated Fender pick compared to a few other triangles:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_a3.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	461.7 KB 
ID:	178093
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

Thanks for the review! I think I'll pass on the Fenders and try that Radex pick. Hadn't seen that one before.

I just got my new Fenders in, sure is a little bitty thing, never used a pick that small but I'm thinking I like it fine, it's easy to hold onto and I never thought a pick this small would be. The F cut works good as a grip. Also bought Dunlop Ultex 1.4 & Dunlop Tortex Flow 1.35 I'm liking these also...heck I like them all, so I'm just jumping from one to the other. I've been using VPicks 1.5. I have one BC meh no big deal to me, feeling pretty set now.

Seems 'X Heavy' have only been available by the half gross, where the 'Heavy' you could buy by the Dozen.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Thanks for the review! I think I'll pass on the Fenders and try that Radex pick. Hadn't seen that one before.
    I think you will be quite pleased with the RADEX. To my ear they tend to offer a little of a warmer tone. Price is right. Especially if one tends to possibly lose one or two.
    I really enjoy using them on my MT2
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

I have a pack of these Fender picks. Not bad, but I went back to my Wegens for mandolin. I like the RADEX for guitar. Has anyone tried the Fender Tru-shell picks?
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    ... Has anyone tried the Fender Tru-shell picks?
    Yes. I didn't like the feel of the Tru-shell pick in my fingers (slick) or how it felt on the string (not so slick) and a little more pick noise than my BC or Radex. YMMV
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”