Thread: exploring an idea

Blog Entries

Default exploring an idea

Howdy All,

I have a JBovier EMC-5 with which I am entirely happy. However it has a shorter scale length than my Arrow G5, and in my hands the difference feels significant. So I can't really use one as a back-up of the other.

I like the extra space in the Arrow G5, and the JBovier has a bolt-on neck. So my question is this. Is increasing the scale length a simple matter of installing a longer neck, or are there other considerations?

Anyone know?
    Thanks!
    Daniel

Default Re: exploring an idea

Depends. It’s a question of bridge placement and the resulting number of frets clear of the body. On a bolt on solid body, it shouldn’t be much of a problem as long as you don’t mind the odd number of frets clear of the body. It will also have the effect of moving the pickup closer to the bridge,relatively speaking.

Been laying out electrics with that scale length on a hollow body electric, so I’ve been looking at that issue in a non bolt on scenario.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Blog Entries

Yeah. I have never minded how many frets clear the body of a mandolin. (On an acoustic guitar I prefer 14.)

Thanks!
    Daniel

Depends on scale length coming from and going to. The bridge location is pretty fixed but you may be able to move it back a bit to allow for a longer scale and/or shim the neck forward. I have put some 14.25" and 14.5" scale boards on some 13.875" scale necks. The hardtail bridges are the easiest because there is often a half inch available to move it backwards if it doesn't have the screws on the leading corners.

5. The following members say thank you to thistle3585 for this post:

Blog Entries

Probably best to have my local luthier, Etienne Vanhove, build me an emando to spec.

Daniel

Thumbs up agreed

the basics 0 > 12 is half way an octave ..

Might be an instrument as is that will make some one else happy,(as is)

so its part 2 of 'catch and release' let it go, and get something you now know will be better for your needs..

I find my .4M scale mandola comfortable CGDA

to best work with CGDAE I'd suggest a fan fret so shortest scale on the high end,

, longer on the low end ...
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

You can lay out your desired scale length/ # frets on paper and see how it lays out on the JBovier electric using e.g. https://www.stewmac.com/FretCalculator.html
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds