Thread: rigel mandolins

Default rigel mandolins

AT mando world, they have a 2003 , what do you guys think of it. thanks http://www.vintagemandolin.com/03rig...luxe_2234.html

Default Re: rigel mandolins

I played one for a few years. Loved the playability, and the pickup worked great! I ended up selling because it didn't have quite the sound I wanted. I like my Collings MT better. $1500 seems high, I sold mine for less than that, but they are not seen as often these days. At $1500 you are getting close to used MT territory.

Best of Luck!

Rob
    2012 Collings MT, Honey Amber Gloss with Tone Gard

Kentucky KM-276 (well, I used to have just one )

Proplec Picks

www.the-kindreds.com

thanks for the help ! ,,

Some Ability - No Talent MikeZito's Avatar
    Blog Entries

These Rigel's are really nice mandolins - but I do often see used ones go for considerably less than this asking price . . . .

what would you say is a fair price for this one?

I bought an A+ deluxe new in 2002. It quickly became my main gig instrument, and is a wonderful player with plenty of tone, volume and chop. As already mentioned, the pick up works very well. I also am a fan of the radiused fingerboard and modern frets.

I don't think the price is so out of line. It's a good make and a respected dealer who seems to always take care that his instruments are set up and in good shape. If you need to plug in, this is one-stop shopping. If you don't need the pickup, there are other mandolins around $1500 that might suit you better and other mandolins around $1500 that might not. Call him and offer $1200 and see what he says.

I did a quick google search... The Mando Store had one listed for $1500 (sold for??), Mandolin Brothers had one listed for $1995 (ouch!), and someone had one on Reverb listed for $1395 (all in the last few years). If you specifically want a Rigel, and you Need the pickup, it might not be a bad price. $1200 is about what I would be willing to pay. If you don't need the pickup, $1500 is close to a used MT or Girouard.

Proplec Picks

www.the-kindreds.com

While a used MT might be in the same price territory, the necks are really different feeling with the Rigel having a round neck and a Collings having a distinct V shape.

When I first played mandolin, had a Rigel A Natural and to this day still regret selling it. Really like my Collings, but there is nothing wrong with the Rigel.
    2018 Collings MT, 1910 Gibson A, 1929 Gibson A Jr., 1941 Strad-O-Lin, 2018 Eastman MDO-305, 1950's Californian, 2015 Ashbury Style E OM
    http://ericplatt.weebly.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/

I alternate between my two F-Collings mandolins but I like the A Rigel for it's feel and different voice. I got mine at a good price so won't be so worried about taking it out to practice in the single digit winter like we had last year. It has a less complex sound than either Collings, it's a good sound though to my ears.
    Cabin Fever String Band, Bill Gorby and the Musical Mercenaries

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

That seller usually pushes the outer limits on his pricing. My Rigel is #1774. It started life as an A Natural but has been modded with Rigel tuners & guard from the local dealer, and p/u back at Rigel in VT. IMO the instrument is only slightly highly priced for the market, but not beyond a reasonable purchase for the product given its quality, and relative scarcity of the instrument.
    Axes: Rigel A Natural #1774 w/mods, Andrew Jerman Irwin-style 5 string electric "Stealie", Eastman 515, Shiro F-5, Crafter M85E, Dillion 335 style, Grandmom's solid-mahogany teens bent-top, Baglamas 002
    Boards: Acoustic Electric
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head; Laney Cub 10 & Cab, Peavey Studio Pro

I've played one and for me it would only be a plug in performance machine. The tone is good but not great for me. But it makes a great stage statement.
    Silverangel A
    Michael Kelly LSFTB
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

thanks for the help , It will be here today so no more guessing, I did pay the full price. But the price is not the main issue, most people spend that much going out to dinner in a year or more and it ends up as a pile of shit in the toilet, I will get enjoyment from this for years!!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kjbllc For This Useful Post:

Enjoy!

Proplec Picks

www.the-kindreds.com

Congrats! And put up pics and a review when it arrives. I believe you'll be very happy.
    2018 Collings MT, 1910 Gibson A, 1929 Gibson A Jr., 1941 Strad-O-Lin, 2018 Eastman MDO-305, 1950's Californian, 2015 Ashbury Style E OM
    http://ericplatt.weebly.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/

its great I really like it I will put picks , tomorrow been playing ir for a couple of hours , have to get used to the transition from the a8 godin.,. is there a bigger case I can get for it, I would like to leave the strap on?

18. The following members say thank you to kjbllc for this post: