Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Armenian mandolin idea, inspired by oud

Default Re: Armenian mandolin idea, inspired by oud

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    One of my favorite sources for enjoying old/early forms: Hesperion ensemble

Many of their recordings - delving into the occident/orient nexus - feature oud in various flavours.
    I devoured the Jordi Savall concert series some time ago. Efrén Lopez from Valencia is also responsible for bridging the East and West together in his music and just a very nice person, overall. Similar to Ross Daly, like you guys have noted.

My entree to oud music was from the Spanish-Arabic, flamenco side, through classical/fl guitar. Being a vestige of rock music, I liked the big, resonant sound of the big ouds. (I'm a drummer ) . Sometimes sounds a lot like Indian raga.
    Okay, this flooded back memories. We are going a little off topic, but the blast from the past was too strong. There is an album series called Ellines kai Indoi, "Greeks and Indians". I will just leave this here. I know you will enjoy it.

Horos ton koutalion, dance from Anatolia:

Me gelasan ta poulia, song from Thrace:

Ti kako ekana o kaimenos, song from Epirus:

There was actually a discussion many years ago on one of the bouzouki forums that went up in flames since then (they always do, difficult characters) about how many very successful Greek pop songs of the 1950s-80s were straight up cloned from Indian melodies, it was quite the shocking find. Maybe I will stumble upon that again.
    My YouTube channel. My tabs and video lessons on Ultimate Guitar and GuitarTabsExplorer.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Apollonia93 For This Useful Post:

Apollonia'- That recording you posted of Marko Melkon is beautifully compelling. I've been enchanted since you posted it.

Saw a great doc on link tv or something IIRC - about exiled Jewish Iraqi oudists/musicians and song writers.

*This slow stuff that Y. Tokcan is playing reminds me some of the romantic taksim I'm fond of. Beautiful.
    https://youtu.be/zCxPlZCrh2g
    Last edited by catmandu2; Jul-06-2019 at 1:04am.

4. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

*This slow stuff that Y. Tokcan is playing reminds me some of the romantic taksim I'm fond of. Beautiful.
    https://youtu.be/zCxPlZCrh2g
    You could study with Yurdal Tokcan for about a week this August if you want to at Labyrinth Music Workshop in Crete. I did a seminar there this March with Efren Lopez. Can't recommend it enough, although it is for advanced students.
    https://www.labyrinthmusic.gr/en/sem...rkish-oud-mc-2
    David A. Gordon

6. The following members say thank you to Dagger Gordon for this post:

Agreed, if you can ever study with Yurdal, take the chance. Anyone at Labyrinth is going to be a fantastic teacher.

Apollonia'- That recording you posted of Marko Melkon is beautifully compelling. I've been enchanted since you posted it.
    I listened to him so much when I was younger, enchanted is the right word! In 1948 he recorded in New York what would become a hymn for Greek immigrants in America. This song is commonly called Sakramento Boston Nea Yorki (I don't think we need a translation for that), but it's original name was To Ouest or To Youest. That is a orthographic transcription of saying "the West" in Greek. Funnily this song is also known as To Toust, because the record company made a printing error in another version of it. So Melkon didn't write it, but he did vary the lyrics and omitted a part of the song. He sings about how god may protect Sacramento and Lodi, being in San Francisco and Boston and the zeimbekiko dances and gamblers in New York he has seen. And then there's some Greeklish in there.

This is the original by Epameinondas Asimakopoulos and Haris Piperakis. You can really hear that Cretan lyra influence in this version. Also note the outro segment with two singers that Melkon's version is missing.

They're both rembetiko music, but Melkon's version has this unmistakable Armenian flow to it, where the oud is a rhythm and a lead instrument at the same time.
    My YouTube channel. My tabs and video lessons on Ultimate Guitar and GuitarTabsExplorer.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Apollonia93 For This Useful Post:

Love it! Can you translate to English the lyrics?

Quote Originally Posted by Apollonia93 View Post

Love the upbeat on that Cretan lyra, thanks.

11. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

DougC 

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    You could study with Yurdal Tokcan for about a week this August if you want to at Labyrinth Music Workshop in Crete. I did a seminar there this March with Efren Lopez. Can't recommend it enough, although it is for advanced students.
    https://www.labyrinthmusic.gr/en/sem...rkish-oud-mc-2
    And here he is performing at Labyrinth in Crete.

There are a couple more short clips as well on the Labyrinth Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/ploumiproje...098314208/?t=0
    David A. Gordon