Thread: Sean Casey on mandolin

Default Sean Casey on mandolin

Found this clip in the John Joe Heaney Collection. Not sure if it's been posted before.

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coc...casey_JH46.htm

Seán Casey, son of renowned fiddler Bobby Casey, playing mandolin. The website says it might be Bobby, but it's def Seán. Very interesting, I believe the only commercially released track of Seán on mandolin was track 12 on Reg Hall's compilation of Bobby Casey recordings:

http://www.copperplatemailorder.com/...of-west-clare/

Here's a photo I found a while ago of Bobby, Seán and banjo player 'the late' Mick O'Connor (he's not dead, he's just never on time for anything!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sean & bobby casey, mick o'connor.jpg 
Views:	508 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	177806

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to seankeegan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Sean Casey on mandolin

Couple of clips of Seán on tenor banjo (think I posted these before):

There's also this commercial recording of Seán on fiddle, although it's not the best representation of him:

http://www.copperplatemailorder.com/...e-of-the-kelp/

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to seankeegan For This Useful Post:

Great stuff Sean, thanks for sharing that!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Great stuff, Sean! That is some tall company.

Larry

This is gold! Although I played with (or along to) Sean Casey in sessions many times, I only heard him play mandolin - my mandolin, in fact - once. (The only other instance of his playing I had heard was the aforementioned track on Casey in the Cowhouse, where he accompanies his father.) Although he complained that he had lost his technique through lack of practice, it was some of the finest Irish music on mandolin I had heard - and this is borne out in these recordings. Certainly, there are many technically fancier players out there, but the relative plainness of his playing is perhaps partly what enables him to so authentically capture the style and spirit of the music of his father's generation and before - in this respect, I think he is second to none.

8. The following members say thank you to whistler for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by whistler View Post
    ... it was some of the finest Irish music on mandolin I had heard ...
    I should add, Sean Keegan, that your playing followed close behind .

Quote Originally Posted by seankeegan View Post
    Couple of clips of Seán on tenor banjo (think I posted these before):

There's also this commercial recording of Seán on fiddle, although it's not the best representation of him:

http://www.copperplatemailorder.com/...e-of-the-kelp/
    When these videos were made Sean Casey lived in a house in Dundrum , Dublin with Frank Hogan and Noel Hill ( amongst others ) Tony Linnane was a frequent visitor and Michael Gavin the flute player from Balbriggen also lived there for a while. The banjo Sean played in these videos was an Ibanez Artist , a good quality copy of a Gibson Mastertone banjo. Later when Sean moved back to London and took up the fiddle again he had his favourite fiddle stolen at a session. He replaced Jimmy Power, the fiddler. in a London group consequently when Jimmy retired . The trio featured used to play a lot in a pub adjacent to John Kellys shop in Capel Street . It was called" The 4 Seasons " and had some great sessions for many years.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RakishPat For This Useful Post:

I'd like to thank everybody involved here. Because this was reposted, I followed the link to the Clare Library and listened to the entire tape. And surprise, numbers 13 through 17 are almost certainly Paddy Canny on fiddle, not Bobby Casey. Number 15, identified as "Sean Ryan's," is the first Paddy Fahy Jig and number 16 The Rakes of Clonmel. Number 18 has no mandolin at all, but a banjo, which Sean Casey also played... I really enjoyed hearing this old recording, and refreshing my memory, because I was in Milltown in 1980, and Bobby was one of the teachers, along with John Kelly and Joe Ryan. They played with heart and rhythm back then, and the tapes tell the whole story..... I love the pace of Pidgeon on the Gate in the video above. Conor Tully played often with the late Paddy Carty, and notice, too, a young John Carty in the foreground during the second tune.
    Thanks again to RakishPat for bringing this back, and to SeanKeegan, the original poster.

13. The following members say thank you to LarryH for this post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D-2Tb-RdsE

Mick Moloney playing KILFENORA JIG way back in the day , up there with the best on Mandolin Trad

15. The following members say thank you to RakishPat for this post:

That rhythm and timing is really something.
    Many thanks, Sean.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryH View Post
    ... numbers 13 through 17 are almost certainly Paddy Canny on fiddle, not Bobby Casey ...
    Very perceptive! I don't think I could confidently identify Clare fiddlers of that generation to species level.

For my part, however, there are a few more incorrect titles:
    1. The Happy Bloom of Youth or The Happy Days of Youth (The Bloom of Youth is another tune)
    10. The Boys of Ballynahinch/Dick Gossip's (listed as Dublin Reel Sequence)
    11. The Repeal of the Union* (listed as Jenny Picking Cockles)
    13. Eileen Curran (listed as The Bunch of Keys)
    14. The Bunch of Keys (listed as The Farewell to Milltown)
    15. Paddy Fahey's (already referred to by Larry H. Sean Ryan and Paddy Fahey were acquainted so it is possible that Paddy Canny (?) learned the tune from Sean Ryan's playing. Since it is common practice, for want of another title, to name a tune after the source musician, it may not be incorrect to call it Sean Ryan's - but Paddy Fahey's it most certainly is).
    21. First tune is The Long Strand (Sporting Nell has a very similar 1st part but a different 2nd part - although I have heard that title used for this tune before, so it could be considered legitimate.)

*Reportedly referred to by Bobby Casey as The Peel of the Onion
    Last edited by whistler; Jan-08-2020 at 4:13pm.

I'm glad so many people have enjoyed listening to this. I've very fond memories of Seán from my own time in London. A brilliant musician and one of the wittiest people I've ever met.

Quote Originally Posted by RakishPat View Post
    Later when Sean moved back to London and took up the fiddle again he had his favourite fiddle stolen at a session. He replaced Jimmy Power, the fiddler. in a London group consequently when Jimmy retired .
    RakishPat, if you don't already know of/have this album it might be of interest to you - collection of Jimmy Power put together by Lamond Gillespie:

http://www.lamondgillespie.co.uk/jimmy-power-cd/

https://www.irishecho.com/2018/11/su...s-power-apart/

Nice feature on the album on RTÉ with Lamond and Reg Hall interviewed:

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/the-rollin...february-2019/

And Lamond's just finished another collection of another high regarded, 'London' fiddle player, Michael Gorman:

http://www.lamondgillespie.co.uk/mic...man-double-cd/

Both are superb. NFI.

I'm glad so many people have enjoyed listening to this. I've very fond memories of Seán from my own time in London. A brilliant musician and one of the wittiest people I've ever met.

RakishPat, if you don't already know of/have this album it might be of interest to you - collection of Jimmy Power put together by Lamond Gillespie:

http://www.lamondgillespie.co.uk/jimmy-power-cd/

https://www.irishecho.com/2018/11/su...s-power-apart/

Nice feature on the album on RTÉ with Lamond and Reg Hall interviewed:

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/the-rollin...february-2019/

And Lamond's just finished another collection of another high regarded, 'London' fiddle player, Michael Gorman:

http://www.lamondgillespie.co.uk/mic...man-double-cd/

Both are superb. NFI.
    Hi again , yes I have the old Topic LP of Jimmy Power where he plays the full version of The mountain Road not just the 2 part most are familiar with . He is joined by a Limerick bodhran player (who is the best I ever heard)for a couple of reels Jackie Colemans /The Castle . The bodhran is really LOUD but its beautifully done . Yeah Sean Casey was hilarious . I brought him playing squash on one occasion . He played in his full set of navvy clothes and the sweat was pouring off him , he actually headed the squash ball a few times instead of using the racket. Later in the changing rooms/ shower area he was wolf whistling at the bare butts of the guys changing . I nearly choked laughing . He was fearless. Another night he carries a full barrel of Guinness up from the basement stairs of the Culturlann and insisted we brought it home in the car. He attacked the barrel with a screwdriver and huge gushes of Guinness shot out which he attempted to harvest in the back garden. He sometimes went into Pennies Store in Dundrum of a Friday evening and changed into a new sports jacket, slacks , shirt and pullover and just walk out , leaving his raggy clothing behind. He was a legend !!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RakishPat For This Useful Post:

I'm sorry to post but news has come that Sean Casey passed away. RIP

I just picked up the sad news over on the session.org . I picked up a lot from him in my early days playing in sessions in London. RIP.

Dreadfully sorry to hear this sad news , I just happened to revisit this forum after many months away doing other things. Had lost contact with Sean for a good while , He seemed always to be ruggedly made of granite and quite immune to any illness for the many years I have known him . I believe his son lived in the Donegal area or thereabouts some years ago . A great original musician and a colourful character . R.I.P. Was he ill or was it sudden ?

When he didnt have a care in the world
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B03.47.plarge (2).jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	196103  

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RakishPat For This Useful Post: